Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chains of Honor Runeword?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheRebel22, Sep 23, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 IncGamers Member

Chains of Honor Runeword?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to re-do my barb, and I might be able to make a Chains of Honor runeword armor. I was just wondering your opinion on this armor for a barb, and if you think it's a good idea to set it up this way.

I'm going to be changing from an IK-Barb to Grief PB/SS/Arreats and then hopefully CoH. What are your thoughts on that?

If I do go Grief/SS, how much str/dex should I allocate? (Also, consider that I might move to dual-wield Grief in the future if I find another Lo rune). I don't want to end up with too little life. Right now I haven't put any points into dex because I'm using the IK set. I only have one respec left, so I need to get everything right once I have all this stuff together.

Also, I have a 40%ed Ruby Jewel. Do you think it would be a good idea to socket it in the Arreat's Face ? Or should I use Guillames Face? I just found it, super nice mods.. 35% crushing blow, etc.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

Re: Chains of Honor Runeword?

Well, Fortitude is generally considered the best melee armor (takes a Lo though), but in my opinion CoH isn't far behind. 65 res, 8% DR, 2 all skills; if your barb uses it until you can switch to a fortitude later on you shouldn't have a problem finding another character to use the CoH. So if you make CoH, I'd do it in an armor that doesn't have that high of str req.

As far as Arreat's vs. Guillame's, Arreat's is pretty much the best there is for a Barb. The Guillame's has CB, which is nice, but the other mods on Arreat's outmatch it significantly in my opinion. (30 res all, 30 FHR, 2 skills, 2 combat skills, life leech, 20 str/dex, higher defense, etc.)

As far as socketing Arreat's with a 40% ED Jewel, that's definitely a viable option. I'd either do that or put an Um rune/something else for resistances if you're short anywhere.

3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I've not played 1.12/1.13 yet, so take my comments with whatever amount of salt you deem necessary... that having been said, here's my take:

CoH has a decent defense bonus, the highest resists of any armor, decent PDR, good life leech, great offensive bonuses, big stregnth, and MF to boot. It, in my opinion, is the nicest collection of mods of any runeword, and I really want one when I move on from 1.09. I'd say to make it!

Can't speak to Grief/SS - haven't done a shield barb yet.

Arreat's vs G Face (or, Arreat's vs anything)... Arreat's is simple the king of Barb helms. CB can be gotten from a lot of other sources, but the incredible stat bonuses, life leech, resists, strength, FHR, and skills from Arreat's would require a lot of gear to make up. Don't get me wrong, G Face is a great helm - FHR, Str, and CB, but Arreat's has same or more FHR and Str, plus provides SO much more, it's just no contest.

Check it - with a point in Nat Resists, CoH, and Arreat's, you're pretty much set for FHR, Hell resists and life leech. Now come on, how nice is that??? Yeah, pop that Ruby jewel in that hat! If you find another one with a good suffix (fervor), you can replace it for the price of a Hel rune.

Just my 2 cents.

****EDIT****

Ninja'd by LiquidClear

4. TheRebel22

CoH also has +200% dmg to demons, so, I'd only be losing 100% when doing trav runs. Yeah, I think I'm going to make it instead of fortitude, because I'd rather have grief PB/CoH than Fortitude and IK maul. I only have one Lo : ( altho, really it should be 'I have a Lo : ) ' haha.

I just got to find 2 um's, mal, and an ist. I can't believe I've found Jah, Ber, Lo but none of those 3 much lower and less rare runes that I happen to need. At least I found a Pul finally a little while ago.

5. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Arreat's helps significantly with the Dex requirement of the PB as well.

Run Countess for Um-Ist - she's BY FAR the best source for those.

6. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

I assume you're a whirly-barb? If so, I would recommend against going 1-h + shield. I used Grief+Lightsabre for awhile, really liked it. Lightsaber has ITD like Grief, plus other decent mods and the same reqs as Grief. If you can afford a Mal, consider an Oath is an 2-hander like a Blarog Blade.

Definately use Arreats over Guillames.

Also, re: the jewel, I'm no expert but I know off-weapon ED is calculated differently than on-weapon and using that jewel in a non-weapon may not net you as much as you think it will.

Also, CoH looks like a fantastic armor.

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

As for stat choices, does it really matter given that you can change them 3 times for free?

As for the Arreat vs. Gface, Arreat is better for a barb. Get your CB from other gear.

As for socketing the ruby jewel in the arreat's, I wouldn't. You're already going to have lots of off-weapon enhanced damage, so I'd go with something else. Maybe a nice max damage jewel? I have an Argent Jewel of Carnage in my Arreat's, though that's maybe less than ideal if you're planning on using grief....still good for act bosses though.

You could put an Io in the helm with you're worried about life. I'm pretty sure that BO works on +vitality.

8. TheRebel22

Ok guys, what about this: the guy I traded my Jah to wants to make an Enigma, and is offering me a 1.07 Arkaine's Valor for my Ber. Think I should do that trade for the HUGE life bonus & equal + skills, or wait and make a CoH ?

and Stat choices matter considering that I've changed them twice already. I only have one more go at it before I'm done.

9. SnickerSnack

You might post the readout of the AV here; not everyone has the stats for old versions mermorized. ;) I'd guess that CoH is still much better, unless 1.07 AV has several very nice advantages over the 1.10+ version.

Well, you can still trade for a token or gather essences yourself. i don't think you should worry about stats too much. It seems one token is worth between 5 and 8 pgems.

10. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

It does not, unfortunately. But you can always use a perfect amethyst to redeem 10 statpoints from strength.

11. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

SS: Life from +Vitality, +Vitality/clvl, and +Life/clvl from items won't be boosted by Battle Orders.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

1.07 Valor and 'Chains of Honor' both have some merits, but I'd hold off for now, since it sounds like your goal is to end up making 'Enigma'. Neither is going to make or break your runner, in any case.

A lot of the mid-level uniques or runewords will be fine. You could easily get by with an armor like The Gladiator's Bane, or an appropriately socketed Black Hades / Jeweler's [Armor] of the ____. Just remember to include Laying of Hands and The Reaper's Toll in your gameplan, and you've already won most of the battle.

P.S. Shields are fail.

12. TheRebel22

Code:
    Arkaine's Valor 
    Balrog Skin 
    Defense: 1554 
    Indestructible 
    Required Level: 85 
    Required Strength: 165 
    Fingerprint: 0x2af259f9 
    Item Level: 87 
    Version: Expansion 
    +2 to All Skills 
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery 
    +200% Enhanced Defense 
    +185 to Vitality (Based on Character Level) 
    +148 to Life (Based on Character Level) 
    Fire Resist +50% 
    24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 1 Sockets (1 used) 
    Socketed: Perfect Topaz 

Perfect Topaz 
    Required Level: 18 
    Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
    Weapons: Adds 1 - 40 Lightning Damage Armor: 24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Shields: Lightning Resist +40%

and I KNOW shields are fail for WW-barbs, but I don't have ANY swords!! I'm trying to make a grief, but I need 5os phase blade first, and a Mal. I guess I could use lightsabre or azurewrath until I can make another grief, but I don't have either of those either!

So that +185 to vitality =740 hp + 148hp = +888hp won't be multiplied by BO?

13. SnickerSnack

I knew that life/vita per character level wouldn't be boosted by BO, but it seems that fixed +vita isn't either, so while AV does offer a lot of life, none of it is increased by BO.

I'd make CoH instead of getting AV, but holding out for Enigma is better still. Too bad about trading away your Jah. :( Well, it's really only a matter of time before you find/cube/trade another.

14. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

I, too, would prefer CoH over 1.07 AV. (although I still want to make that 1.07 AV+1.07 Grandfather barb some time...)

I'd either wait for another Jah or use the Ber.

btw, why do you still need a Mal? I thought you found one? Also, make Oath in a decent base (1.07 eth 2-handed sword would be your best bet) and ditch the SS.

Arreat's is probably much better then Guillaume's, esp. if you want to run mostly Travincal. You don't need CB against the council, Reaper's on your merc will help a lot though, as others already mentioned. If you want to run bosses (esp. Baal), you can still switch the Arreat's for Guillaume's.

Also, if your main goal is running Travincal, socket your Arreat's with a Rare "Pearl" Jewel - up to +50%damage and +50 AR vs. Demons and some more juicy mods (Resists, life, Str...), you can't beat that with a Ruby jewel.

LoH is also the best option for Travincal barbs IMO. (1.07, if you can get one). Also, if you don't have it yet - get Hork and two echoing weapons/HotOs/Spirit+sth. on weapon switch. That should increase your rune output :)

15. TheRebel22

Nah, I don't have any Mal's, Um's, and only one Pul I found last night.

I have 2 heart Carvers that I've found though. Those work well for switch on Hork, but I'm going to respec once I make grief, and put several points into item find. Right now it's just annoying having to switch weapons, put on the heart carvers, and then hork the 3 corpses remaining because the IK gear froze the other ones. So I just stopped horking, lol. Goes a lot quicker.

I don't have LoH either, or good boots, or a decent belt besides the IK stuff, so I'll probably be using the IK gloves/belt/boots for a while until I can get all three of those lined up with mods that I need.

16. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

While runes in 1.13 are common enough, don't rush into making CoH or trading your Ber rune. I guess you know first handedly what happens if you rush yourself :wink:

CoH is good armor for almost everything, but it's not best for anything. Once you get Enigma I don't see use CoH anywhere and that would be waste of Ber. For now I'm sure you can work with whatever armor you are using, and CoH wouldn't make grounbreaking difference.
    Save your Ber, run council and in month let's hope that you can finish Enigma.

+ I think you took WRONG aproach to council running. Barb is good only cause of item find skill. Tho luck is on your side, I'd say that you must change your barb setup asap.

17. TheRebel22

Yeah, it's in the works. IK set was the only thing I had, graciously given to me from Grisu. I'm switching now to Grief/Arreats/ and I'm not sure what on the second hand, original plan was SS, as I think that'd be a lot safer for HC. I might stick with that until I can find another grief. I really want the DR and resists from SS. Safety is #1 for me. I didn't get up to lvl 89 so I can change to less safe gear and die in a day or two ; ) lol

Also, I like my barb a lot even without Item Find because of survivability. On bnet I had a fully loaded Necro, Torch, Anni, Enigma, Mara's, HoTo, all that ****, but one wrong teleport and bam I was dead before I could do anything. With my barb I got 20% DR, Max resists, 3400hp, and 10k defense. Can't beat that. I can run any area in the game almost (never tried nihlathak's temple area), make mistakes, and still live. I'm still re-learning how to play. Right now I'm working on a Necro, but I think my next character is gonna be a Hammerdin. Can't blame myself for cheesing because the only other hammerdin I've made was 5 years ago on Classic HC, and I started with a Barb on this run, so. I don't feel guilty about it. I'm just waiting on a Vex rune to pop up so I can make a HoTo and I'm off (although I do have Wizardspikes, I need other gear).

18. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

While there's nothing wrong with Chains of Honor or 1.07 Arkaine's Valor, it just doesn't make sense trading away Jahs and Bers for them when your ultimate goal (both for your Travincal runner, and in general) should be to make Enigma as soon as possible.

19. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Don't make Chains of Honor!

For most characters Either a decent Vipermagi, Enigma or Fortitude are far better. There are a few characters that benefit from CoH the most, mainly those that need +skills but not FCR. I'm going to be spending a Ber on CoH in the near future for a Dragon Tail Asassin - Doesn't really need teleport, does need resists and +skills. But I already have Fortitude and Enigma. If I didn't, I would save it.

I made this to help melee characters through Normal/NM until I could equip Fortitude, you could try something similar:

Gemmed Gothic Plate
    Gothic Plate
    Defense: 128
    Durability: 53 of 55
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 70
    Fingerprint: 0x66dd1671
    Item Level: 37
    78% Enhanced Damage
    +50% Damage to Undead
    +45 to Attack Rating against Undead
    Adds 9 - 18 Fire Damage
    Adds 1 - 43 Lightning Damage
    +6 to Energy
    Fire Resist +20%
    Attacker Takes Damage of 1
    6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    4 Sockets (4 used)
    Socketed: Havoc Talisman
    Socketed: Rusty Jewel of Knowledge
    Socketed: Rusty Jewel of Lightning
    Socketed: Blood Whorl

Havoc Talisman
    Jewel
    Required Level: 28
    Fingerprint: 0x2e7831c7
    Item Level: 87
    18% Enhanced Damage
    +50% Damage to Undead
    +45 to Attack Rating against Undead
    Adds 9 - 18 Fire Damage
    6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Rusty Jewel of Knowledge
    Jewel
    Required Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0x837661cc
    Item Level: 26
    20% Enhanced Damage
    +6 to Energy

Rusty Jewel of Lightning
    Jewel
    Required Level: 28
    Fingerprint: 0x681396c1
    Item Level: 85
    20% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 1 - 43 Lightning Damage

Blood Whorl
    Jewel
    Required Level: 29
    Fingerprint: 0x9039ccd0
    Item Level: 86
    20% Enhanced Damage
    Fire Resist +20%
    Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  20. TheRebel22

Yes, my ultimate goal should have been to make an Enigma.. I had a Jah 3 days ago, lol. I was thinking that I had dumb-luck finding the Jah and I've never find a Ber, but I might be able to if I had several high lvl chars available to MF.. so I traded it for lots of gear.. then bam, Ber.

Yeah, I've decided against trading for the Valor, mainly because it's a SC item and I can't use it in HC. I'm also convinced to wait for another Jah for Enigma.

Thanks for all the advice.