Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cerebron's Hypothetical Gear for Blacksouls

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Cerebron, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

Cerebron's Hypothetical Gear for Blacksouls

First of all, not everyone dies when seeing the Blacksouls. You know, Dim Vision, zigzagging, blah blah. Second of all, not only those who SUCK die with the Blacksouls. I bet every Necro has some kind of bad memory with the Souls. See some lightning and spawn in town. Never happened to you? Hehe, probably not.

I've been spending a very long time on finding a solution. Souls are too annoying. I started with firing Bone Spirits far away and hoped they hit the Souls. It didn't work. In this threat I'd like to suggest another way. It's all hypothesis. I didn't even start to test it.

It's very simple. If you wear the following gear, you should gain 100% resistance against lightning. There are other variations, but let me just focus on this gear.

Guardian Angel +15% to all Max Resistance
    Thundergod's Vigor +10% to Max Lightning Resistance
    A shield socketed with pTopazes.

However, what I remember is 100% Lightning Resistance doesn't mean "Immune to Lightning." The player's resistance should be something like diminishing return. If you can help me find the formula, I'd appreciate.

A con might be wearing this gear would affect your skill levels. But for a summoner it's not a big deal. My MF gear is all made of pTopazs and it doesn't give me ANY bonuses. I can solo Baal with no problem.

Another idea is to build a gear that gives 100% Resistance to all elemental attacks. That would make the Necro pretty tough in places such as Trav. It seems pretty hard to boost all max resistances to 100% unless using some precious runes, which would be a waste. I welcome all suggestions and comments.

2. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

resistance is capped at 95%

anyways, with that amount of resistance, and thundergods vigor absorb, they shouldnt be much of a problem. Worse case scenario, add on a wisp projector and a lightsabre.. lol.

3. Cerebron

Thanks Andrew, I was just about to say. I forgot the cap is 95%. That's why you can never be immune. True.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

I think max resist is capped at 95%. Also a good answer to the lighning damage the Black Souls do is to use Lightning Absorb (and Thundergods Vigor already has some).

I beleive the Black Souls also do physical damage with their ranged attacks so a method of reducing that would help. Their ranged attack seems to somehow include their melee attack.

EDIT: Drat beaten to it :lol:

5. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Well Lets just put it this way... I'm wearing 3 peices of trangs.... and I have max resist in hell for light,cold, and poision. (add a blackhorn absorb 20% light), and nature's peace... poison resist 25... I'm immune to all but fire... I'll get that when I find my 15% mf and 25% Fire resist... really fire not a problem. Dwarf Star!... Well I cast CG in front of me and then souls attack him.... I cast dim run up and kickem in the nuts... then I cast amp since souls only range attack when your away from them and my skellies kickem in the nuts too... then I resurect the baddies as my revives and they tend to tele around drawing fire from the others... then they melee attack the other souls... I laugh and cast dim for any stragglers and boost my army to 40+ minions....

I swear I saw animation of a moon lord saying ah F*ck! when 20 Gloams fired bolts at once at him... heheheheheheheheh

6. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Two words:

Bone Armor

7. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Hmmm, :scratch: not sure it works very well against that form of attack. I have a very good Bone Armour (295 pts ) for a Skellimancer on my old necro but the only way he can face the Black Souls is by using Blackhorn for the 20 Lighning Absorb on top of my max resist. My BA does not seem to be affected yet, I certainly still take damage... maybe I ought to pay more attention to the detail but I'm running and casting at a hectic rate when those damned things are around :lol:

8. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I know that bone armor works against diablo's lightning hose :p

It should work against souls if there's physical damage tangled in with the lightning damage.

9. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

I understand that someone suggested that Soul type monsters include phys dmg with each bolt, this is not the problem. It's a different issue. I don't quite remember what it is, but I will check on the amazon basin website where adamantine figured it out.

10. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

God..NO damage other then lightning, I never take damage from them until my cyclone armor is gone, and it only absorbs light/cold/fire.

11. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

my 2 cents:

With full trangs and marrow bug, I do not have a problem with Blacksouls. I have enough life and my light resistance at 75 and (I absorb ~560 damage with one point in armor), to take first attack and dim them. I will amp them as soon as my skellys start "kicking them in the nuts" resurrect a few for everyone else (and my) confusion, lightning everywhere and so on, get few “noob†remarks.... You know the story.

No MF baal runs with 20 in lightning and no boots (8 in damage absorb from the bone armor, lol) is a totally different story.

12. Cerebron

I have full Trang and Marrow, too. And I'm pretty sure in Hell you don't get max resistance in any of them in Hell.

I can take the damage from several Souls, too. My Bone Armor is 650, and my life is around 1000. However, here's the scenario I'm interested in:

You join a game. Seven players stand in Town and are "naked." Some are quitting the game. You go to the World Stone WP and you see an uncountable number of souls flying across the bridge. You summon your golem on the bridge and the poor creature is killed in milliseconds.

13. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Final Word on Gloams

Here it is as promised. Gloams add their mana drainging attack to it's regular lightning dmg.., somehow it all gets converted to lightning dmg, then scales for monster level. To make a long story short, a hell gloam in the worldstone does 240 average lightning per bolt. Champs, uniques scale even further and that 240 is from 1 single non boss, minion, champ gloam! Each gloam fires 4 or 5 times so a group of say only 4, fire 16-20 times at 240 dmg per hit! Scary dmg indeed. Even with max resists, 5k dmg still translates to about 1k real dmg :(

Don't even get me started on bosses champs and minions. Suffice it to say I lost my 1300 hp druid with 2k cyclone armour, to 3 bolts from an off-screen champion pack :( I know this is not technical and I may be off a bit, but the numbers are very near actual values.

14. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

I do NOT show up in the world stone without an army. So I start in act 1, get 13 skellys up to speed, get the armor going and then visit balck souls. Start with dim, let skellys move in, and as soon as I see 3 corpses, amp and CE.

15. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Actually, having 0 skellies may be safer, cuz when the skellies walk up to the gloams/black souls, they will start firing again, and the lightning pierces =D. I just keep spamming dim vision ahead of me, and try and kill them before my mini army get to them (8 skellies on my bonemage hybrid)