Cell phone question

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Cell phone question

Austin has some unique challenges when cell phones are concerned. The area, for whatever reason, is difficult to get decent coverage unless you have a phone that has really good reception. For example, my work phone, a Nokia, does pretty well when in my apartment, but my personal phone requires that I step out on the balcony if I wish to send or receive a call. I am considering upgrading my crap phone and am looking at the Sanyo Katana.

Does anyone have experience with this phone or have any advice that would help me choose a phone that can help me get a signal when in my apartment?

Thanks

I know a few people that have it, some love it some hate it. I don't know about the networks in your area, but Cingular is the only carrier that people get reception in at my school and we have a cell tower in our parking lot(Cingular, T-Mobile, and somebody else). If you go to one of the brick and mortar stores or a carrier's website they should have a coverage map. It should give you a pretty good idea of where you'll get a signal.

I can ask the people I know that have it tomorrow, but in my experience the carrier has more to do with reception than the actual phone.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
I can ask the people I know that have it tomorrow, but in my experience the carrier has more to do with reception than the actual phone.
Normally I would agree, but, in this case I've seen times that, with the same carrier, some phones worked and some didn't.

How about the Motorola Razor? Any experiences with that?

You may want to hop onto your future cell phone providers website, and see how 'deep' you are into the coverage area. I'm not really sure that you could boost your signal any more.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
You may want to hop onto your future cell phone providers website, and see how 'deep' you are into the coverage area. I'm not really sure that you could boost your signal any more.
I'm stuck in this contract for another year but I assure you that this will be the last contract I sign with Sprint.

We live in a dead spot, it's difficult to get a decent signal at the house. Ski just upgraded to the Katana, we'll let you know what we think of them. They just arrived Friday. We've always had a decent signal with Sprint and now that they and Nextel are sharing towers, the only place other than the house that I have signal problems is in the ice arena where my son plays.

side note: my brother has Verizon and hates it. He's constantly having dropped calls and no signal. He plans to switch over to the same Sprint plan his S/O has as soon as his contract is up.

p.s. Freet...It's Sunday...why aren't you in chat flirting with me

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
www.phonescoop.com

Check that phone out at this website.

I don't have experience with that particular Sanyo, but I have friends who have different Sanyo's and love them.

As for Motorola Razor, they get great reception with Cingular, so I assume they would with Sprint as well.

My Razr gets a signal everywhere I go, it is also pretty damn durable. My sister is pretty hard on phones(ran her razr over and dropped it in a toilet several times) and it still works well. I like how well it syncs with my computer, but wish I could edit the system files more. You probably don't care about that, but yeah.

Anyway, I think it is a great phone and like how small it is while still being able to hold on to the thing.

The only problem I've seen with a Razr is that it gets a buildup of dust behind the screen after a while. I don't know if they've fixed the problem in later builds of it, but I'm pretty sure someone developed a cleaning kit for it.

The only problem I've seen with a Razr is that it gets a buildup of dust behind the screen after a while. I don't know if they've fixed the problem in later builds of it, but I'm pretty sure someone developed a cleaning kit for it.
I've never had that problem, 4 years of having a Razr. No one in my family has.

Cannon Fodder

Diabloii.Net Member
When talking about individual phone reception, I can think of one major factor. Whether the phone picks up all digital signals, or digital and analog. I'm a Verizon user, and there at least they refer to phones that can do both as Tri-mode. I had written out a nice description of it all and then accidentally navigated away from the page.... hate when I do that. Anyways I was too lazy to rewrite it so I searched around and found an even better description than mine.

Some Guy on a Verizon Forum said:
Since we're in a Verizon forum, digital means the transmitter/receiver in your phone use a technology called CDMA. There are two bands used for CDMA in the US, 800mhz and 1900mhz.

Analog is an older system; the transmitter/receiver use a technology called AMPS in the 800mhz band.

In verizon-speak, a digital phone has CDMA 800mhz and CDMA 1900mhz.

In verizon-speak, a tri-mode phone has CDMA 800mhz, CDMA 1900mhz, and AMPS 800mhz (3 modes).

Some other carriers, like Sprint, used to only offer service in the CDMA 1900mhz band and they called this PCS. These days I think every carrier sells multi-band phones.

Besides AMPS and CDMA there are other technologies called TDMA and GSM. GSM is used extensively in Europe but you need a 4-band GSM phone if you want a GSM phone that will work in the US and Europe. [off topic]

If you travel within the US & Canada then a Tri-Mode phone and Verizon America's Choice plan will give you very good coverage. Some areas of the country, including major roads like Highway 5 in California, do not have digital coverage between larger cities. About 100 miles of Highway 1 south of Monterey/Carmel only have analog coverage - thanks to the old towers that GTE installed.

When you have digital coverage your phone batteries will last longer and your audio will be clearer, but sometimes the only signal that gets through is analog. By having a tri-mode phone you also have the greatest chance of being able to roam on another network if verizon isnt available.

This may explain the difference in service you experience inside your home. Anyways, something to look into.

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a Razr and can take calls in the basement of our house. I am on a different network, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not

Bortaz

Banned
If you buy a new phone, Sprint will require you to re-up your contract. They require a new contract if you fart in their stores. Sprint is the most ridiculous carrier around, and I cannot wait till my contract is over. They have horrid, crappy service, and even worse Customer Care. I'm going to run away from them as soon as possible.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
If you buy a new phone, Sprint will require you to re-up your contract. They require a new contract if you fart in their stores. Sprint is the most ridiculous carrier around, and I cannot wait till my contract is over. They have horrid, crappy service, and even worse Customer Care. I'm going to run away from them as soon as possible.
I have Sprint and don't have many problems with it. The only time I can't find good service around here is on campus. There's a few dead spots for Sprint that really bug me, but I can call anywhere in my apartment, or anyone else's apartment. I have an old Samsung, by the way. What part of the city are you in, Freet? Maybe I can test out my phone and compare results with yours?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
When talking about individual phone reception, I can think of one major factor. Whether the phone picks up all digital signals, or digital and analog. I'm a Verizon user, and there at least they refer to phones that can do both as Tri-mode. I had written out a nice description of it all and then accidentally navigated away from the page.... hate when I do that. Anyways I was too lazy to rewrite it so I searched around and found an even better description than mine.

This may explain the difference in service you experience inside your home. Anyways, something to look into.

If you were with Verizon or AllTel, this would be an issue, since their network is both digital and analog.

However, Sprint/Nextel is a iDen (I think that's the name - I know it is for Nextel, not 100% sure for S[rint) network, so the trimode issue is not an issue - namely, it doesn't exist for that type of network.

Cingular and T-Mobile, for example. are 100% digital GSM networks, so it's not an issue for them either.

So, trimode issues will not be an issue for Freet, given he is with Sprint.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I had Nextel for three years, but after I switched to Cingular, I don't see myself switching again unless something much greater comes out.

Roll-over minutes are great. Never a wasted minute - every minute you pay for is available for use, up to a year later. By far the best deal, imo.

The only thing close would be My Circle by Alltel, but it requires a $70.00 / month plan.

I pay $42.00 for 550 anytime minutes, and I have nearly 1200 rollover minutes saved away should I ever go over.

skihard

Banned
Other than the people that work for Sprint riding the short bus to work I've never had a problem with them. I like that I can use them anywhere in the US and Canada and if I decide to go on another trip to Mexico it's only $5 per month (2 month minimum) for me to use my minutes there as well. There are different rate rules for the Caribbean, but I can do the same with them, makes international phone calls a think of the past, well in the west it does anyhow.