Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cd player troubles in car.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Njx, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Cd player troubles in car.

The car is a 2002 toyota rav 4.

Hey, just lookin for some help on a cd player issue that has just sprung up. It was working fine all last night, I switched it to radio, pulled in , and went to bed. I go to drive it to mcdonalds this morning and lo and behold, when I switch it back to cd, it just spits the cd out at me . I attempt to put it in, it just spits it right out. It will just kinda whirl around and then come right out. (note: last night this cd was working perfectly). I attempted 3 more cd's and all were promptly spit out. Now seeing as this is my mothers car, she of course, blames it on me. Not sure how I could have accomplished such a feat , never hte less she is extremely peeved, and wants it fixed. Anyone with any electric experience, or any experience at all know what the problem could be ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Any help???

3. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Working in electronics industry, I have seen many DVDP's or CDP's doing what you are describing. When your CDP's spits out your CD's, it means that your CDP is not recognizing the CD's. There may be several reason why this is so. 1. The CDP loader (non-laser portion) is no longer working correctly. 2. The laser on the loader assembly is either dirty or off balance. 3. Software (firmware) has gone haywire. 4. Amp board has gone bad.

The causes can be various things. If you are living in a region where the difference between cold and hot is drastic, then there may have been condensation accumulating around the laser area or the loader area. Also, plastic expands and shrinks fairly easily under great temperature difference. (Manufacturers are supposed to make their product withstand this kind of variance.) Power surge. This can be caused by anything. And power surge is actually the number 1 killer in electronics goods. Also, unstable power may do this as well. I have seen LCD TV's and plasma TV's going bad under power fluctuation so many times.

If your CDP is under warranty, you may be able to get this fixed under manufacturer's warranty. It normally is 1 year labor 1 year parts. But car stereos are one of the hardest things to get repaired under manufacturer's warranty policy. If you are outside the manufacturer's warranty and have no other extended warranty program, then I would advise you to get a new CDP as it is not worth repairing an electronics product nowadays, especially when the electronics goods are so cheap to rather replace.

4. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Sigh I live in canada, we had a snowstorm yesterday, and today its nice and warm out :(. Also, could this have been my fault? If so what could I have done to do this?

5. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I hate to contradict cleanupguy, but, as most here know, I work on audio equipment for a living and I'm pretty confident that the problem isn't with temperature variations, or a voltage surge or even a problem on the tuner/amp assy (main board).

He was right though when he said it isn't recognizing the cd. Most likely, the optics (laser) is at fault. Normally, lasers go out gradually but there are instances where they go out immediately. One being that there was something on the cd that got on the laser. More likely though, the laser itself just quit, or the servo pcb (the circuit board that runs the laser and the associated motors) might have gone bad.

To answer your question though, chances are very slim that you are responsible and you can tell mom I said so. Like that'll help. :)

6. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Absolutely nothing. Your mom may be frustrated that a new CDP in an almost brand new car (2002 is kinda new in my opinion) has gone bad, but she should know that this type of stuff cannot be prevented. This is also why nowadays it might be beneficial to have an extended warranty program (I'm not a big fan of this plan though) on certain products.

Also, companies nowadays are, in my opinion, no longer making reallys sturdy products any more. Major electronics companies are always looking to cut costs here and there, and studiness of a product is what goes when companies look to cut costs.

In my opinion, snowstorm was what killed the CDP. I have some recommendations, but if you are not an engineer or technician, I wouldn't recommend that you do them, so I won't give them here.

7. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Thank you greatly for both of your informative and quick resposnes, my mom is currently calling Toyota and seeing if we have any warranties left, as this is one of those 4 year rental thingies. (Rent to own?)

8. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Is this the factory stereo or an after-market one? I'm guessing its factory since its a lease. If so, it should be covered by the warranty (unless you've put a lot of miles on it, more than 36k I think). All she has to do is make an appointment at any Toyota dealership.