Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

CD access during game...aaarrrrgggg!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by krmetal, Jan 30, 2004.

1. krmetal

krmetal IncGamers Member

CD access during game...aaarrrrgggg!

When ever I am in act 5, norm or nm or hell, when I tp or wp, my computer goes to CD and winds up and makes me freeze for a about 2-3 seconds. This doesnt happen in the other acts. I think there is a way to copy certain files to your hard drive so the game doesnt have to go look for it? This also happens when the bosses are killed, so I dont get the drops. Very frustrating!
    Any other ways to speed up gameplay would be helpful.

2. Unholy_Carnage

Unholy_Carnage IncGamers Member

That happens to me to. It could be your video card, or your OS. Yes you could have the most uber OS and video card ever, but d2 just dosent seem to agree with everything. i think it was set up to well best with a few but not all, so some ( like mine, which carries double the recommended to run d2 ) get slowdown because of the card. It slows down during shenk and baal alot, so i miss the drops. But it dosent really matter, since 5 out of the 8 in every game are using some form of grabbit anyway.

3. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Copy the music mpq file from your CD into your Diablo 2 directory.

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Do what Lord Chaos said. I'm not sure if you need to copy the mpq files from both Diablo II and LOD or just LOD, so check the contents of the CDs against your folders and copy one or both if need be.

Once done correctly, the CD will only spin once when you load the game.

Also, make sure you did a FULL install and not the partial.

5. krmetal

krmetal IncGamers Member

Thanks guys, I went home at lunch and copied the mpq files to the hardrive. I dont freeze when I tp or wp now. I still freeze when the minions die and such. Would copying the entire cd to the harddrive help or not? Would that make it to where I dont need the CD to play?

6. TempestWinds

TempestWinds IncGamers Member

I never freeze simply because I have a DVDRW drive. Virtually NEVER spins up. Also, most people don't have pickit, they have a program that lets them play without a CD (so no spinups).
    Try upgrading your CD drive OR getting an image of the CD on your hardrive and use a virtual cd drive.
    You'll never spin up again.

7. PikachuMolester2003

PikachuMolester2003 IncGamers Member

If you put in the LOD disc in, and let it autorun, I think there is a further-full-install option, so try that? Im pretty sure it copies the music mpq file too.

I use a virtual cd drive, so meh.
    I read somewhere a warcraft 3 patch introduced a protection from cirtual cd drives, not sure if bnet will get angry and scold/ban you or something.