Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

CB/FO from the start

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by AlbinoCobra, May 21, 2008.

1. AlbinoCobra

AlbinoCobra IncGamers Member

CB/FO from the start

First of all - HI! I'm new, and don't know the game very well. i know most of the mechanics but lack knowledge of gear and little tricks.
    anyhow, the reason for this post is this: starting a new game with couple of mates and building a sorc. after days of thinking and deciding (seriously :shocked: ) i've come up with CB/FO sorc. why? simply because i've always wanted to use charged bolt but it always seemed too weak. now with this "new" synergy stuff i can finaly try it. second reason - my favourite spell, nova, lack synergys so it doesn't seem like a good choice.
    since i value diversity over sheer power (and since casting the same spell all the time is boring) i've decided to throw in one other spell - frozen orb. reason for this is because as far as i can remember it is good at both crowd control AND single monster killing. other reason being (and i read this from you guys on this forum) that it doesn't require much synergy to be effective.

My plan is to max CB until i get to lvl 30. Then distribute between LM, CM and FO. somewhere in between, couple of points in lightning. actually this is where i need most help. you should know that i already poured 11 points in CB, 1 into warmth, 1 into lightning and 1 into static field. where to go from now?

overall it doesn't seem like a bad build. it's easy, fun and can be turned into powerhouse if wanted later on (at least i think).
    so my question is - why do people use CL/FO so much? charged bolts look very promising to me.

equipment will be whatever i can find, nothing fancy; just going to aim for faster casting to reach 105 breakpoint.

i figure as enough str for equipment, enough dex for max block, the rest to vit.

the game is PvM only (i hope mates wont turn on me :grin: )

oh yeah - sorry for the long post; here's something to cheer you up :flowers:

2. rapdancin

rapdancin IncGamers Member

Re: CB/FO from the start

i was thinking about making a build like this as well, my potential skill dist is like so:

20 cb
    20 lightning
    15-20 lm

20 fo
    15-20 cm

dunno how the masteries will fall, but i think its better to max the lightning synergy rather than the ice bolt one

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I've tried CL/FO and CB/FO both.

There isn't a lot of difference in effectiveness, but there is a little difference in playstyle. CB/FO is a little more agressive, since it's more effective when you're closer to the monsters (because more bolts hit), you need to be 'on your toes' a lot of the time. CL is one of the more defensive-oriented spells, since it does so much long-range/auto-targeting you can use it to safely snipe monsters from a distance. Also, if you plan to get to a really high level, you really don't have anywhere 'great' to put your spare points with CB/FO (although Cold Mastery and IceBolt aren't bad, they're just not particularly 'great' choices).

Both builds are entirely viable though. Personally, I like the more aggressive playstyle and faster casting speed of CB over CL (fyi, for basically the same amount of FCR, CL is 0.16 seconds slower to cast).

The more common path for building this sorc is to focus on your lightning attacks (probably Lightning over CB, in the early game) until level 30, and then immediately pump Frozen Orb. FO is a real powerhouse skill through Normal and Nightmare difficulties, but it can slow down a little in hell. You're probably fine starting with CB and sticking with that - just be sure you've got your Frozen Orb built up before you enter Hell, otherwise you'll quickly learn to hate Lightning Immunes. You don't want to skimp on your lightning skills for too long, but it can be done if absolutely necessary... but skimping on FO is not a good idea.

As for your skillpoints, definitely aim for the full 60 points in CB, Lightning and LM, as well as 20 points in Frozen Orb, and don't forget the usual one-point-wonders (teleport & static field for sure, Warmth is less necessary but not a bad idea either). Depending on how high you level and your amount of +skills from equipment, you should spend the remaining points in either Cold Mastery or Ice Bolt.

Cold Mastery vs. Ice Bolt.
    Up until level 17, Cold Mastery is more effective at all times (assuming you don't have other methods to lower enemy cold resistances, such as questing with a paladin with a Conviction aura). However, that level17 is including all of your +skills equipment... So if you have +12 cold skills, you only 'need' to spend 5 points in CM to get it to level17, and then you've got a good foundation.

After that, I think it's a matter of personal preference and knowing what you want to kill with this sorc. The 2% bonus from IceBolt isn't a lot, but it's ALWAYS there. And if you managed to put the full 20 points in IceBolt, that's +40% damage - that is pretty decent. Beyond level17, points in CM have a chance of being completely wasted (depending on the monster you face).

In my own opinion, since you'll likely use CB as your 'primary' spell and only use FO as your 'backup', I'd just aim for level17 CM (or as close as you can get) and dump any remaining points in IceBolt. If you want to turn this sorc into an area-runner you might change that opinion though, depending on what area you want to run.

And if you want to PvP... good luck. :p

Oh yeah, in addition to 105 FCR (a good plan), try to get your resists up decently high (60f / 20c / 75l / <whatever>p - as a minimum, with more = better) and then take whatever +skills you can get. You'll appreciate every +skill you can scrounge up.

4. guface

guface IncGamers Member

I've tried untwinked (no gear given, only use ones found or traded) CB/FO. It is far more powerful compared to my failed CL/FO. Remember that orb will last you through late normal and well into early hell. After that you need another source for cold immunes.

Charged bolt requires limited synergies and can be used on WSK on hell with no problems. I would suggest max block before you begin though. Maybe aim for something like a stormshield as you have to be pretty near monsters to do max damage.

5. Inda

Inda IncGamers Member

Totally agree with Guface on the "untwinked" CB/FO build being the strongest .. throwing on a Wihtstan's guard, mosers, viscerant is also a good idea (you can also gamble some good Jewelers/Deflecting shields in Hell). Blockign has saved my bacon many times ... especially when running baal for my friends when we are playing co-op.

(Oh - and if you play twinked - Nova is certainly still viable. I have a Nova/ES sorc at the moment that walks through hell ... LI's are her only real issue.)

~I