Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Caught up in Computer problems..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by seb, May 13, 2008.

1. seb

seb IncGamers Member

Caught up in Computer problems..

So where do i begin....My computer was made in 2005 or 2006, cant remember. In 2006, the computer wasn't working correctly so we sent it to some local Computer guy, he said it was the graphics card, so he took my BRAND NEW (at the time) ATI Radeon (something) and replace it with a freaking Nvidia GeForxe 2 Mx/Mx 400 , a.K.a, a Piece of CRAP Graphics Card, i think it was made in 2001 or 2002, so it can barely play any games.

So anyways, i could only play WoW (when i did) for about a year because they updated the game engine so my graphics card cant play WoW or any games like that, so i went back to playing Counterstrike Condition Zero..Now get this..I try to change Counter-strike (condition Zero) from the lowest resolution (520x840 or something like that) to a resolution that is ONE step higher (720x940) or something around thier. after i do that, the game doesnt display any image yet it does have sound. So i go and try to play the other Counterstrike (1.6) and it ALSO doesnt have any image.

Im sitting at my desk thinking to myself.."Im going to rip out the graphics card and destroy it with 50 bombs, an assault rifle, a jack-hammer, etc.. If only i could get my hnands on a new card, my problem would be solved for a few years to come"

Heres the thing, my computer was Custom Built with LITERALLY the top of the line Computer parts at that time of about 2005 or 2006, and that was only about 2-3 years ago, so it is still all working Amazingly, even better than some new computers, excpet for my obvious problem, the graphics card. So heres where money comes in, if i had money i could get a new Graphics card, Heck, i could even get a brand new computer while im at it, except thiers only a few problems...

1) im 15 and a half, and while i can work, its very hard to acquire a job
    2) i have applied 10 times to a job, applying to about 6 different jobs, with no luck at all of them
    3) I have absolutely NO money in my wallet, and my dad cant lend me any due to the fact that my parents built thier new dream house that they waited for about 19 years and it costs about 1.2million due to the costs of paying workers, companys, buying supplys, etc.

So i need a few solutions on things. I need to know if you guys ever had a job at my age, and if it was at a major company such as Target or something, how did you get it?
    I also need to know how much a graphics card costs and if i would have to buy more RAM (i have 512 right now) to install it, and if i can get instructions on how to install the video card that would be great too ( i have both kinds of slots)

Lastly, Thanks for the help if you actually do help me, i really really do appreciate help. thx guys.

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

Re: Caught up in Computer problems..

sell some of your toys seb.

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

save up and get a agp 7600gt
    and a 1g ddr3200 dimm

there still around, but getting tougher to find ~$150
    your next option will be to get a new mobo/processor/memory/video card
    will most likely will cost over $300

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well at that Age I had a paper route and collected Recyclables for cash.
    The paper route thing is hard work, it was in fact much easier once I hit 16 and had a car, Then I could share a large and better paying route with a buddy and work every other day, but with the price of gas and the internet the paper route is no longer around, the 2 other jobs I had were a Car-wash worker (LOW PAY and Surprisingly hard and dirty work) and handbill distribution, Then I got a good job as a apprentice Pressman (Another Job that computers have taken over) so I'm thinking most of my advice is dated.

5. Dii Legend

Dii Legend Banned

It's starting to warm up in most places now, lawns will need mowing soon.

6. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Lawn moving, that's sound like a proper ****ed up job.
    I worked in a supermarket.
    I delivered newspapers.
    I worked on a farm.

Two things I learned from all these odd jobs are:
    A) The pay is equivalent to what a beggar gets when just lying in front of a mall
    B) The jobs are usually annoying enough to give you a seriously high blood pressure, even when your 15.

Damn I had to work 3 weeks to end up with what (8h aday) ? €350?
    If you want to buy a state of the art pc you need like €1700,- or $2500,-?

So if you just have said odd job it'll take untill your 18th birthday to earn a proper pc.
    How did you manage to get the custom build pc in the first place?

7. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

I used to sell lollies door to door, that wasn't bad. Stocktaking is good for extra cash too, some companies put ads up for extra staff for this from time to time.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Don't they have to replace your components with the same kind of component? Man, you got rooted.

9. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

Since you are a minor you will need a work permit. Usually your school can help you get one, they might even have some leads on people that are hiring. Other than that, you can check to see if you can do odd/small jobs around the neighborhood to raise cash. This will be grunt work, so expect hard work and not much money. Jobs may include, pulling weeds, mowing lawns, walking dogs, washing cars.

Good luck.

10. Mcwhopper

YOu even have to have a work permit?

Man things have gotten way tighter then when I had to do part time jobs.

11. Thelioness

The work permits are part of our child protection labor laws. It limits the amount of hours they can work, makes breaks mandatory, keeps them out of coal mines, ...

12. Mcwhopper

Ah I see : This fine if it protects, but kinda awkward if it prevents 15 year old people to actually have a small part time job.

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

They'd rather have 15 year olds do well in school before they start taking on other responsibilities. Also, I think the age of work permits is now 16.5 of age. At least it was that when I got mine when I was in high school, about a year ago..

14. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I had jobs but not at a major company.

At age 11, nearly 12, I got a paper route. Later I mowed lawns, did general yard work, and also roto-tilled gardens.

At age 13 I had enough for a $500 dirt bike.

Permits? I didn't need no stinkin' permits!! /Backdraft

15. th5418

th5418 Banned

Yeah, that's called illegal now.

16. Thelioness

You aren't that much older than I am, and we needed work permits when I was in school. The paper route now is covered by someone with a vehicle, and they don't do collections, it is automatically billed to you by the newspaper.

17. Mcwhopper

I worked on a farm when I was 12. I did that every summer holiday untill I was 18. I worked at a super market when I was 15. I delivered news paper when I was 15 as well.

I still finished high school. This it not protecting children, but overprotecting.

18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Worked in a steel mill when I was 13 then when I finished highscool I started working as a painter which is what I do now.

19. Mcwhopper

Ah working in heavy industry is the one thing where I think having an age limit is actually a good thing. Children at the age of 13 shouldnt be in a steel mill.

20. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Get a clue.