Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Casting Hammers/Concentration

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by poisonxfree, Apr 28, 2005.

1. poisonxfree

poisonxfree IncGamers Member

Casting Hammers/Concentration

So I'm building a decent Hammerdin. I guess technically he's built, I just need good equip now. I notice bots and the like casting hammers when nothing around, how? I have concentration on right click and hammers on left.Without the aura, my hammer damage goes down a ton. Do they not use an aura? If not, and hammers is right click can you cast away at your own will?

Also, here's my fairly noobish setup, trying to iron out details and get some better stuff.

Wizardspike [Making hoto once I can get a vex]
    HoZ
    Shako [Should I socket each of these with um for res, or ptopaz in shako?]
    Seraph's Hymn [Just got today :)]
    Arachnid's Mesh [Also today]
    Magefists / Laying of Hands [Which is better? I know many hammerdins use magefists for FCR alone..]
    WaterWalks
    Some Random leach/mf rings [Looking for BK/SoJ for +skills]

His hammers do up to 6.7k damage so far with all synergies maxed and clvl87. His resists in hell are all 45 currently, if I can make perfect hoto then they'd almost be maxed. Do you think he can run hell alone? [1-2 player game]

I was told the rest of my skills should go into Holy Shield. Is this smart? I've put all up until now there, but I'll get at least a few more..

Thanks for any and all feedback

EDIT: Please reccomend me a merc [what difficulty/act?]. I have an extra tal's helm laying around that would probably be good for almost any merc..

2. Aza22

Aza22 IncGamers Member

okay so i can fix 1 of ur problems abot casting hammers what u do is u hold down shift when BH is on ur left click this leaves ur right 4 concentration hope this helps

3. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Shift-click should answer your questions about hammers, so....

You should aim for having a faster cast rate of either 75 or 125. Anything over is OK but unnecessary, as those are breakpoints for BH. If the 20 fcr on magefists puts you over 75, use it. If it is the difference between, say, 80 and 100, there is no need for them and there are better gloves available. I know that is not a direct answer, but it is as close as I can come at 2:00 am.

Holy Shield is useful for any paladin, as it increases block rate (saving dex and allowing you to put points in vit) and increases defense. Max synergies, add a point to the utility auras you like (I use vigor and redemption alot, some use salvation, the resist auras can be nice for the + max resists,) and anything left over goes into HS.

There are several mercs that will work fine for a hammerdin, but I think NM Act II defensive with its Holy Freeze aura is the best. That being said, Normal/Hell aII defensive ( defiance) and offensive (combat) as well as the a5 barbs will work.

Leech doesn't matter much to a hammerdin, so try to find rings with resists/mana/skills.

And yes, 7k damage (more with HotO) and maxed resists should be fine in hell.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

4. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Shift + Clicking on hammer on left click button.

5. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

The Shift+LeftClick method is the only way to release a Blessed Hammer when having Concentration active. It takes a little getting used to, but it's do-able. It get's easier when you have an Enigma armour because then you can use Teleport also on LeftClick. For a walking char it's a bit of a pain, but I'll try to explain the method.

Blessed Hammers, when released, start at the upper left side of your character and move outward in a spiraling motion. To hit something with Blessed Hammer you want your monster to be in that path, and the easiest is for that monster to be on your upper left. To get your character in the proper place (bottom right of monster) you have to walk to it via normal left-mouse movement. When you get the proper placement you tap your Shift and instantly you will stop moving and release a hammer.

Proper placement is always a tedious task, so when you see you are not hitting a monster, release the Shift key, walk to a somewhat different place, tap the Shift key again and try again. You will eventually get your monster down, and your skill will improve in time.

BTW, just some general advice, get your resisntances to maximum. As a caster character you will be standing still when attacking, and when there are other caster monsters around you will be most vulnerable to them since your shield will block most melee attacks. At least put a Perfect Diamond in that HoZ for an extra 19% resistance. Think about that Um in the Shako, and maybe try to get your hands on a Guardian Angel (+1 paladin skill, nice defense, +15% max resistance and 20% increased chance to block). The 30% faster block on this thing is gravy when you're using Holy Shield, but the rest is quite impressive. When you also put an Um rune in this one you will have 90% resistance to all in Hell easilly.

But as some more advice, when you can get that resistance from other sources (amulet, ring, boots etc) then you can also use Shael runes in both Helm and Armour. This will improve your Hit Recovery immensely, and thus your ability to react to certain monsters.