Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Case of Brain-Damaged Woman: Assisted Suicide or Keep Alive? der=0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cleanupguy, Feb 13, 2004.

1. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Case of Brain-Damaged Woman: Assisted Suicide or Keep Alive?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/13/schiavo.appeal.ap/index.html

I have such mixed feelings about this case, and I can't, for the life of me, decide what I would do if I were in their shoes. And I am sooooo grateful that I don't have to make a decision, such as this. (Knock on WOOD!!!!)

What do you guys think?

2. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

My opinion is that there just comes a time when you have to let someone go. Keeping someone alive in a vegetative state for 15 years is just... I mean really, where does it get you? They may as well be dead, you're just prolonging your pain.

That's not to say I swing that way or don't swing that way as far as the legal issue is concerned, you just asked what we'd want to do in that situation.

3. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I would let her go.I know that her parents are holding out the tiniest amount of hope,but in this case,to me,she's not alive.She is all but dead.Her mind has given way,and her body should be allowed to follow.Let the poor woman have peace.

4. toader

toader Banned

Thats a very tough call.

On one hand you think, just let her pass, and be at peace.

On the other hand you think, medicine has advanced SO much in the last 15 years. If we could just keep her alive long enough so it could advance and she would be better.

Tough call, I would probably let her go though. :rolleyes:

5. cleanupguy

My sentiment is generally the same as yours. But the other day, I was thinking about this very hard. I do say that I would let go of someone who cannot be helped at all, but what if this was one of my siblings or my parents? Would I really have the courage to let them go?

I know that it is purely selfish and for my own good that I want to hang on to them, but I don't think I would have the courage to let my loved ones go.

6. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Maybe to stir things up a bit more, what would you want done if you were the veg?

I think I'd stick with letting go in that instance, too. I'd like to die with a little shred of dignity, and if it's something I'm not showing any signs of recovering from after a few months, I'd consider myself down for the count. Not that it's really up to the one on life support or that you can make decisions in that state, but just hypothetically speaking.

7. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

If it was my girlfriend... wow I dunno what I'd do. I'd probably wait as long as needed, and if that wasn't a choice I'd jump off the nearest cliff. Scary thought...

8. cleanupguy

I probably would want my family to let me go. I don't want to be a burden on them emotionally, physically, and financially.

9. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Does this mean we should all go tell our loved ones that if we ever become vegatables for more then a few years, they should pull the plug?

10. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

That's probably a safe bet, assuming you want the plug pulled. I'm pretty sure living wills can accomplish that as well, if you don't trust a next of kin or whoever to be able to go through with it.

11. cleanupguy

Off the topic, but this reminds me of that one funny episode from Seinfeld where Cramer wanted Elaine to pull the plug should anything happen to him.

12. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Don't feel bad, I can't talk or think about anything even remotely related to a hospital without thinking of the Junior Mints episode.

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

Wow, thats a tough call but id let her go.

14. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

The woman's husband wants to pull out her feeding tube and let her starve to death. He has a mistress on the side he wishes to marry and therefore must lose his present "wife." They recently passed a law making it illegal to do so, but some of those who voted for the law are now recinding their statements, saying they wish they hadnt voted and crap...

15. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you make a living will, so that if you end up in a state like this, your family will not necessarily have a lawsuit. Then again, you'll be in a vegetative state. You won't care since you'll have no brain.

16. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

First of all, I want to point out that I think this woman's vegitative state is permanent, and that the parents are only prolonging her suffering. They really ought to let the poor woman's body die; her mind is already gone.

Having said that, I personally feel that in euthenasia cases where there is no living will, that the government should always err on the side of caution. If someone has doubts, then don't euthenize. In this case the husband should be freed of all obligations and responsibilities and the parents should assume all the costs of keeping the woman alive, since they are the ones insisting that she be kept in a vegitative state.

17. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

That is exactly right, and why my wife and I have done our living wills. I also believe that even if there is a shred of intellect, a spark, a soul if you will, left inside the poor woman, it has gone insane long ago.

18. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Due to the lack of a living will, I feel that the issue should be brought before a court (and a lengthy appeals process should be permitted). Of course, a court decision was already made and it led to a dead end.

19. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

About the title of the thread:Case of Brain-Damaged Woman: Assisted Suicide or Keep Alive?
    An assisted suicide doesn't make sense to me;if a suicide is assisted (=helped by someone) then it is not a suicide anymore,it is a crime! A suicide can't be assisted,otherwise it becomes a crime
    Assisted suicide is nonsense , i would rather call it a crime if this suicide received help

20. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

In Florida, it is a crime and you can't "assist" someone in suicide, you get charged with a type of homicide...the one where you provided the means for their suicide, like handing a suicidal person a gun...