Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Caravan Discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Adree, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

Caravan Discussion

Flux brought up the caravan on the main page this morning and there's been some speculation as to how people think it's going to work. Thought I'd open up the discussion here in the forums as well.

There were a number of suggestions made, including ideas that the caravan would 'reset' each playthrough, or that they would be really easy to level up. What are your thoughts on this feature?

Personally, here's what I'm hoping to see:

Caravans can be upgraded very simply for the first tier, but from there the costs get exponential. So that you pay a small amount of gold and crafting material for the first upgrade (as we saw in the video) and the costs ramp up quite steeply from there.

I'd also like to see the caravans tiered - ie. by the time you've found the jeweler, your blacksmith can potentially be at the 2nd (or maybe even 3rd tier if you focus heavily on upgrading).

I don't want to see the caravans reset each difficulty level, as that trivializes the caravans for the first two playthroughs. I'd like to see them level up and stay with you for the entire game. I'd rather see the caravan levels limited by playthrough (max level 3 for Normal, max level 4 for Nightmare, etc.)

What do you think / what are you hoping for?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Monster

Monster Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Caravan Discussion

I highly doubt they'll "reset" the caravan for each play through. That's very counter productive and not fun at all.

3. Doppel

Doppel Banned

This is how Artisans will most likely be i think:

- Artisans are a feature Blizzard doesn't want you to wait for to have and use, thus all of them likely get unlocked through normal play early in the game, similar to for example the Horadric Cube at the beginning of Act 2 in D2.
    - Artisans will cost a very low amount of resources to upgrade the first few levels considering that Blizzard will want to give newcomers to the game a taste at upgrading Artisans. And they'll require a very high amount of resources to upgrade at high levels considering that upgrading them to final levels has to be something Blizzard wants you to achieve through hard work and sinking gold into it.
    - Artisans won't reset between difficulties.
    - I don't see why their max level should be limited each level and i suspect Artisans to have many more levels then 5. (that's not to say they'll upgrade visually every level though, if i would take a guess i'd say 25 or so levels visually upgrading every 5 levels or so)

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

so you think they will change their mind on the 5 level thing? they seemed pretty confident about that.

anyway my thoughts. i do not think they will reset as that just will force players to craft in normal or only upgrade in hell. i see normal as leveling them with nm/hell specializing them so you will continue working on them til the end game. it is possible you will have to rescue your artisan in the new dif level but when you do they will retain level and recipes. kinda hope we wont have to resuce them again but i can see it happening.

5. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Instead of rescueing them again on NM and HELL. Why not already have them standing there giving out a Quest for a rare (random) recipe they will need in order to keep continue working, so to speak.

6. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

I'd be up for that, definitely.
    I'd kinda hope you hit artisan level 5 early in nightmare, w/ the specialization going on through hell.

7. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I don't remember anyone saying them to be max level 5? Maybe i missed that, dunno.
    But it seems strange though, i mean, you would expect the first upgrade or two to be very cheap and easy (not unlike your first few character levels) so that you at least get a taste of upgrading your artisans, so how does that translate to the last upgrade from level 4 to 5 being very expensive and a gold sink (as i remember being implied)? That would be a very weird and unintuitive progression if you ask me. Mind you, it seems logical that artisans start out at level 1 when you discover them, thus that's only 4 upgrades to make, basically once every difficulty and then one time more after grinding some resources? That can't be right imo.

edit: There is also specialization to consider, but i always assumed it to be during the progress of leveling up your Artisans, not after they reached their maximum level as that doesn't make sense to me.

8. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

You'd think if the levelling will last through all 3 difficulties they would of gone with a 3/5/6 curve for N/NM/H like they do for character levels =P

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i like this idea a lot. well mostly. i dont think would should need to do it to continue working, just a chance at a rare recipe would be nice. of course it would get abused just like the hell forge is but whatever i still like it

10. wredny

wredny Diabloii.Net Member

I missed the thing with max 5th level (what makes only 4 upgrades).
    Personaly I think, that uprageding won't be as easy as it was on gamescon vid.
    Prices where a bit funny - few coin for upgrade, and lot for socketing.
    Second, it's material - there no news that it could be found in the world and as I remember, You don't start with salvaging cube.
    As for N/NM/H I think it's possible to upgrade to max on normal, and on NM/H the fun will be finding rare recepies for ites.