Car Questions?

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Car Questions?

I'm just posting this topic so that people that are having car trouble, or just want general advice about what to do with there car if something is wrong with it. I think this thread would benefit us all.

Since I am very familiar with Hondas feel free to ask me! Thanks!

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Mulguller said:
I was recently driving my friend around in my 2001 Corolla. We were going up a hill and my car (an automatic) was changing gears on its own, since I tend to set it on cruise control. I like to keep my foot on the break and keep at a constant speed at the speed limit.

Anyways, she said letting it switch gears like that (meaning, going from 2100rpm to 4000rpm, about) is bad for the transmission. She cited an example of her step dad doing that a lot with his Nissan, and he had to have it replaced four times.

I was skeptical, but might as well ask since you might be able to answer it.
I don't see how 'switching gears' for a transmission is bad, I mean, that's what it does. A tranny can go bad for a lot of reasons. Now, I'm not sure what model of Corolla it was but most import cars don't do too well up hills. In my Honda for example (manual) I throw it into 2nd up steep hills and it'll be at like 4000 on my tach.

I don't see how that could be bad for the transmission. I think her Dad's tranny went out because lack of maintenance, overall bad tranny, or just bad luck. It's suppose to shift, so I can't see anything wrong with it.

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Mulguller said:
I was recently driving my friend around in my 2001 Corolla. We were going up a hill and my car (an automatic) was changing gears on its own, since I tend to set it on cruise control. I like to keep my foot on the break and keep at a constant speed at the speed limit.

Anyways, she said letting it switch gears like that (meaning, going from 2100rpm to 4000rpm, about) is bad for the transmission. She cited an example of her step dad doing that a lot with his Nissan, and he had to have it replaced four times.

I was skeptical, but might as well ask since you might be able to answer it.
Oh, another thing. Your Corolla should have some other gears besides 'Drive' like '1' '2', etc. Try shifting it into one of those when your going up a steep hill. It'll give you a little more power to get up those steep hills.

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Mulguller said:
I thought switching it on 1 or 2 was for going downhill.

There's an overdrive button that I would undo, and it seems to make the engine go proportionally faster on how far I press. When on overdrive, I could press it a little or less, and it would not make much of a difference.
I always thought of 1 and 2 has lower gears. Like, my friends automatic Civic.. He has 1, 2, 3 and D4. Drive 4 is what he always drives it in. 1, 2 and 3 gave him more power up hills.

I've always hated automatics, for several reasons:

1. They're no fun to drive.
2. Too expensive to fix.
3. Take away some power from cars.
4. They look ugly.

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
5Ws said:
So what's with spamming up the entire forum?
Wow, way to go off topic from the thread idea. Spamming the forum? I was posting. There was few people on when I was posting. Chill out.

Back to the main topic!