Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Car Question - Air in the Coolant System?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Usufruct, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Car Question - Air in the Coolant System?

Hi guys, this is just a shot in the dark, I don't know if anyone can help me or not. I have a 1987 Naturally Aspirated 300zx. I replaced the radiator because the one that was in it was totally shot. There are two problems with this car, that I know of. One, the tierod ends are shot, and I can replace those myself, no big deal. The second problem I am unsure of. Here's the deal:

This car runs and drives great. The problem I have is with the coolant system. I'll drive for 100-200 miles, and the car will start to overheat. Every time this happens, I throw open the hood and the coolant resivour will be filled past it's fill line. I release the pressure on the radiator, and obviously the fluid is low in there (because it all is in the freaking resivour). So I syphon the fluid back and it runs great for another 100-200 miles.

Why does this happen? My first thought was the head gaskets, but I have to assume they're fine because the engine recently had all the heads replaced. What else could cause either a loss of pressure, or backpressure that would prevent fluid from flowing back into the radiator?

I'm totally stumped with this, and I can't afford to bring it to a mechanic for them to figure out. I know this isn't a car forum, but does anybody have any ideas at all that might help me out? Thanks in advance for any replies :-/

2. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Hey Usufruct,

The radiator cap is what allows coolant to be sucked back from the resivoir into the radiator after the engine cools off.

Try replacing the rad cap first and see what happens.

3. Usufruct

OOOooo that would be such a great fix - Thanks very much, I'll try it!

4. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

The cap is a common problem. If that is not it check the fan clutch.

Is the problem at highway speeds, around town, or in general?

5. Usufruct

It seems to be in general :-/ Like no matter what type of driving I do, the resivour gradually fills up over about 200 miles.

6. Usufruct

vBulletin sucks hard

7. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

You might also try just a regular ole Radiator Flush kit. Basically its a kit that allows you to hook a hose up to your radiator and flush it and all the corresponding tubes fairly clean. Dunno if thats your problem though. You may also need to replace the tube that runs from the reservoir to the radiator. I know these sound like simple and mundane advice, but a lot of times when im at wits ends about car problems, someone saying something like that just throws the focus right where i never put it before and then problem solved.