Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can't quit?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by snapper316, Mar 19, 2004.

1. snapper316

snapper316 IncGamers Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Can't quit?

Why can't i just QUIT!! argh!!

Its fun again. yes, yes it is(thank god 1.10 patch). but also very hard.

Why does everyone need to be so stingy about items??? It is a VIDEO GAME!!, or wait, maybe it has evolved into something else..

from all the stfu to trying to call someone a noob to increase their..."video game ego?"

its an old, BARELY 3d game, (with 3d mode on all you do is get a new perspective and go behind trees, and effects actually shade areas..)

I quit back in august. 1.09. Waited for 1.1, after swearing never to play again, and now I am back at it. Just can't seem to uninstall and stop playing. Anyone else having this..."problem" the game consumes so much time its crazy. Kinda like starcraft, can't just uninstall that one either, still have to play it every now and then even when c&c generals or better stratey games are out. lol

Anyway, after all this, i find myself wondering why i play, yet can't quit. And I love the game. Something strange, with the new emphasis on parties and the fun(for now) of summoning necro's. I guess i just can't quit..

Random blah blahs. post any frustrations/thoughts.
  2. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Jan 30, 2004
    If the game is consuming so much time that its preventing you from fulfilling obligations, hanging out with friends or in some other way becoming a "problem" I'd really try to stop. If you just love this game and keep coming back to it, well, join the club.

I used to a play lot - for a while, a little too much. It's easy to get caught up in wanting to be rich and high level... there is definately some kind of compulsion there.

However, you have to just remind yourself that in the end its all for NOTHING. Your 10 stormshields wont get you a job, your level 96 character wont get you a date and your awesome dueling setup wont make you closer with your friends.

I suggest just remembering that there is a LOT more out there and that this game is nothing but a bunch of 1's and 0's. Go throw yourself into your hobbies and hang with your friends. Go play hockey, practice your guitar, go to a bar, see a concert. I assure you that in the long run, going to the gym for an hour instead of leveling is better... instead of points to put in Orb and Mastery you can drop em in Picking Up Girls and Long-term Health. Much smarter!

You dont need to quit, and I can personally assure you playing for just an hour a day can be quite enough... its not going anywhere.

Hope this helps!
  3. simplyLost

simplyLost IncGamers Member

Oct 6, 2003
    this is why diablo 2 isn't a game.. it's an addiction.. a form of cyber crack if you will.. those that play... get hooked.. and generally are hooked for life(or long periods of time..) try finding a 12 step program.. that should help..

4. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Mar 1, 2004

I am a reformed diablo addict and it is very hard to cure diablo addiction. It takes a lot of determination, discipline, willpower and above all, support from others who care about you. You can't snap out of it in a week, in a month, in many months. It can take years, which was true for me. I took 2 years before I got over it.

This is the thing: You cannot stop playing altogether in one shot. Like any addiction that needs treatment, you have to be "weened out" of it. Basically it's trying to find other things to do to replace your Diablo playing time like going to the gym, hanging out with friends, whatever else there is that interests you. If you're not interested in anything at all, think about what you used to do before Diablo completely pre-occupied you.

In my case it was martial arts and education. While I was slowly cutting down the hours I was playing, I started in my martial arts routine until I became passionate about becoming a good martial artist. Then I enrolled in computer night classes to advance in my career. I didn't stop playing completely when I decided to quit. Instead I progressed from extreme addiction to heavy playing to casual playing and eventually I stopped playing altogether.

I started playing again when 1.10 patch came out and it was fascinating how quickly you can rekindle an old flame. I reached a point where I am bordering on heavy game play and addiction so I ask my wife to "pull the cord" if I'm playing too much. In the past I would have gotten really angry at her, but now I just laugh and stop playing in a heartbeat.

Life is too short to be miserable, as the saying goes, and if playing Diablo makes you happy, gives you a great deal of fulfillment then by all means, play it. But don't forget about the other fun things in life that you shouldn't miss out on. At the end of the day, whatever people say, Diablo is just a game.

If you sincerely want to stop being addicted to Diablo and channel your energies somewhere else, you will realize that real life has a lot more to offer.

Good luck on your road to recovery. Seek help from those who's been down that road before.