Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can't play battle.net with cousin.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by leprkon, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leprkon

leprkon IncGamers Member

Can't play battle.net with cousin.

This is quite a strange problem actually. I can play battle.net just fine. I have entered rooms with other players and no problems occurred. The same goes with my cousin. However, when we are both in the same room, his entire Diablo 2 client shuts down. Nothing happens to me, it is just him. Our connections are nowhere near each other and we used to be able to play together all the time.....a couple months ago. Well, I am just wondering if there was a solution to this, or if it was some weird bug that is on his side only.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Can't play battle.net with cousin.

Ok, I shall ask the first dumb question. You are both using different CD keys for D2 and LoD, aren't you?

3. leprkon

leprkon IncGamers Member

haha, of course we are. I bought 2 new cd keys yesterday and changed them out.

4. Thyiad

Told you ... but I had to ask. You'd be amazed how many aren't .. :p

Can he get onto bnet on his own? Is just the combination of the two that makes his go down?

5. leprkon

leprkon IncGamers Member

He can get on bnet just fine. It is just when we are in the same map. Regardless of whom made the map (him, I, or some random person), if we are ever in the same map his entire Diablo 2 client closes on him.

And there are actually people in this day and age that don't know about the almighty taboo of multiple cd-key usage?! My world has just been turned upside-down.

6. Thyiad

Re CD Keys: Never underestimate stupidity. :D

On to your specific problem ... could it be a ports issue? I'm reaching here, I confess. That wouldn't explain why the client would fall over though. Go back to the login screen yes, but not die completely.

*waves* Techy people, help! *waves*

7. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You bought two new keys?

Or did you buy to new games with cd keys out of the box?

when you say you changed them out, what exactly did you do?

8. leprkon

leprkon IncGamers Member

I boguht 2 new keys actually. And I used a cd-key changer to change the cd keys. I used a cd key changer.

9. Thyiad

And there is your problem.

Uninstall both games. Properly. Run as many virus checkers and spyware destroyers as you can get. (I suggest AVG Free and Spybot search and destroy.). Then re-install properly with the new keys from a store-bought cd/key combo. Make sure you clean that system before installing the new keys.

EDIT:
    Trust me you aren't coming off as a jerk. I've met some; you aren't one of them. :)

Basically I have no clue why yours works and his doesn't. But the first thing I would do is remove those key changes, uninstall and start afresh. Because without any evidence to the contrary, anyone on this forum will presume that the problem lies *somewhere* with the alteration to a store-purchased copy of the game. Additionally, what you are doing is contrary to EuLA, ToS and ... well legality and on that basis we cannot help you, it is against the policy of this site.

10. leprkon

leprkon IncGamers Member

this is on my side, how would that affect my cousin? Once again, it is my cousin that is being affected. We can play in other maps just fine, but when we are in the same map, HIS client shuts down. I don't mean to come off as a jerk or anything. I just wanted to establish that there is nothing wrong with anything on my side.

Edit: Haha, that is fine. I understand. I have Chinese blood...so don't expect me to do anything that involves spending a lot of money (no offense to anyone Chinese).

And thinking about the issue, I think it might be his ports and how it responds to incoming ip addresses. He said that this happens sometimes with other random people. So, I am thinking either he has a very biased computer, or an over protective one. =P

Again, thanks for taking your time and responding quickly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  11. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

What do you mean by getting the client closed. Is he getting connection interrupted or is diablo closing down - let the famous uncaptured error.
    Does he comes to the main diablo screen offline, or does he need to restart diablo if he wants to play single player?

If you are playing on the same line, and he's getting c/i. I'm thinking about some sort of lag, which will get him c/i due to the dupe protection server change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.