Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Can't Pick Up Stuff" Bug

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by GameFellow, Apr 28, 2005.

1. GameFellow

GameFellow Diabloii.Net Member

"Can't Pick Up Stuff" Bug

I occasionally experience the following bug while playing USWestSC.

Randomly while playing, I sometimes can't pick up ANY items that drop. I can't open town portals. I can't take warp-points. I can't open doors, chests, etc. But, I CAN walk around and kill monsters, so it's not a complete lag out problem.

This usually happens after I have been playing the game for a while and usually after I have already picked up and dropped several items already.

It does not ever go away until I exit and re-eneter the game or, if I make a completely new game.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. KillerJollibee

KillerJollibee Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I've had this problem many times too, but I'm on USEast. I thought it was just the scratches on my CD, but I don't really know. You're right, it's not a complete lag out cuz we can still kill stuff. Hmmm... anyone else?

3. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

most likely lag or a disc skip

these things happen at times. are you able to talk to the npcs?

4. distancepieman

distancepieman Diabloii.Net Member

I have lag issues like this every so often. Don't really know if it's got anything to do with the CD at all. Sometimes I don't remember to put the cd in even, and I can still have problems. I think it's just a type of lag though.

~Bails

5. GameFellow

GameFellow Diabloii.Net Member

Nope, can't talk to npcs.

6. evild2player

evild2player Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like some weird lag to me. When did you start getting these problems?

7. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

The effects you describe sound the same as the ALT bug which is bug #11 on my list. To be able to pick up items again simply ALT-left click on your stash.

8. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i have this happen every once in a while. hitting escape then clicking reyurn to game usually fixes it. sometimes i have to leave and rejoin

9. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah I've had that bug thingy happen to me as well. A few weeks ago, my cable provider had some equipment upgrades, and I had ping times of 999 occasionally.

From what I remember, it definitely always happened, when I opened my stash to unload the gold into it. What happened is, when I clicked to put gold into stash, and then immediately after I exited the stash(the gold actually failed to load into the stash due to lag), all items and actors would become uninteractable. Waiting in the game didn't help, I had to quit/rejoin.

Also if I had high lag, and wanted to resurrect my merc, clicking on "Resurrect merc" button would drop me out of the game in a few seconds (with no CI message being displayed, I just fell into "limbo" immediately). The same also happened, if I clicked the "repair all" button when trading.

I'd definitely say this is not ALT bug, but probably a lag issue...

10. mhl12

definitely lag then

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

How could it be lag when every other aspect of the game works fine? It's happened to me too. Monster killing works just fine. It's just that you lose the ability to interact with objects and NPCs. If the game was lagging you'd notice issues with monsters too wouldn't you?

12. mhl12

notice he said that he cant talk to npcs and he cant pick up any items. It's still lag. Even if you kill the monsters they arent really dead. if the lag resolves. It goes back to where you were in the game before the lag. Most of the time the lag doesnt resolve and you either get a connection interupt or you exit yourself. In these cases, you most likely lost connection to bnet.

13. Quietust

Quietust Diabloii.Net Member

mhl12: your explanation does NOT work here, since if you are lagged you will not even be able to attack monsters - you'll swing and swing, but you'll never hit them, since the server will never send a reply indicating that your swing connected. Also, such a case would result in the 'black wall' when walking too far, which does NOT occur in the scenario mentioned originally.

The actual problem seems to be related to packet loss, not delays - the client sends a particular message to the server but fails to get a complete reply, leaving it in a state where you can still walk around, attack monsters, and move items in your inventory, but are unable to interact with anything in 'the world' (can't interact with NPCs, the stash, waypoints, items on the ground [except maybe by telekinesis], doors, or passages to other areas). I have noticed this problem numerous times, and the only way I could find to fix it was to exit and rejoin the game.

Similarly, if you get a lag spike the instant you ask to raise your merc or repair an item, the client will completely lock up until it receives a reply from the server saying "merc resurrected"/"not enough money" or "items repaired"/"not enough money" (in this case, it never happens, so the program completely locks up and you have to either Alt+F4 or Ctrl+Alt+Del -> End Task to kill it).

14. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

Seems like bnet kicks me out of the game automatically when this happens, no need to restart the game at all.

15. RetroStar

RetroStar Diabloii.Net Member

Chucking pots can help.

16. DarkY

DarkY Diabloii.Net Member

its not lag, it's a desynch of your pc and their server.

You probably are behind a rock/tree whatever. Try to walk back, or rejoin.
    In the past, people got the black wall.

17. Arbedark

Arbedark Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds exactly like what i get from pressing Alt Too much or at the Wrong time.

I dono how i fix it, just press and hold alt a couple of times and i can pick things up again.

Edit: He cant talk to NCP's because he has to click on them to do that. He can attack monsters because shift attacking works, and so do many spells etc. It has something to do with having to target and click on an item, character or whatever.

Arb

18. IronCamel

IronCamel Diabloii.Net Member

I've had this happen and I don't think it can be lag, because I've killed enemies, had items drop which I couldn't pick up, but my friend has then picked them up.

19. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony Diabloii.Net Member

The CAN'T PICK UP bug is not caused by CD/DVD-ROM having problems reading disc. I'm 100% sure because:
    I'm playing without a CD being physically in the drive, using a CD-ROM emulator with a Diablo II exp CD image stored on HDD (I find it more comfortable). Of course, a virtual CD can't have read problems (If your HDD is working OK, but you will definitely notice, if it didn't). And I sometimes experience the same NO-PICK UP bug while in battle.net.
    There is another VERY annoying problem while playing in the battle.net, which, I think, may have the same reasons:
    Sometimes, when I tell NPC to do something (usually ID stuff at Cain and ressurect a merc), I see the dialog close, hear the right sound, but nothing else happens. I just stand near Cain/merc captain and can't do anything - walk, open inventory, even Esc doesn't open game menu so I can leave the game. The only cure I know is Ctrl+Alt+Del and "close application".
    Does anybody know the better way to fix it?