Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

cant login

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by aman, Jul 2, 2005.

1. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

cant login

it loads up to the bit where it says checking versions and will stay therre forever :mad: any1 else having this problem?
    Or now a way to fix this

btw its europe

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Please tell us more details about your problem.

Did it work before ?
    If yes, what did you do on your computer or network from that point on ?
    Which operating system do you use ?
    Are you in a network or is your computer directly connected to the internet (e.g. via a modem) ?

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

When my firewall messes up, it sometime gets stuck there. Try troubleshooting the firewall as a first check, then answer krischans questions. :)

4. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

ok i use windows xp
    there has neverf been any problems loging in before

i have just set my 2 comps up so we can both use the internet at the same time
    via wirless

i had to disable my firewall when i was setting up broad band and has not be re enabled.

5. krischan

So I assume your network consists of two computers and a router which is somehow connected to your ISP. I also assume that you can access the internet with both computers, e.g. with a web browser.

Not just your computer may have a firewell, your router probably has one as well. Check if he disallows any connections from your local network (LAN) to the internet. If yes, allow outgoing traffic via port 4000 and probably 6112 as well. These are used for communicating with battlenet.

6. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

im pretty sure my router is not the problem well at least in the begining it wasn't

when i first got my router i didn't have the wireless stuff so i set it up on the one computer. I was able to play diablo fine but i dont usually play diablo on that computer i just used it because my computer could not get on the internet at that moment in time. So it seems it may be the wirless that is causing the problem?

the router is not connected to this computer i just have the wireless ariel thing here

thx for all the help

7. krischan

I guess with wireless you mean a wireless network board, right ? In that case, it's most probably not the cause of your problems.

You wrote that the router isn't connected to your computer. Before making any guesses about it, how are your computers connected to the internet and how does your local network look like ?

8. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

no i meant the router is not connected to the computer im trying to use it is connected to the other computer.

my lan is just 2 usb wireless cards connected to the computer

9. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

10. krischan

Is your network like this ?

Code:
    Router --- comp 1 ... comp 2
    with the dots being a wireless connection and the dashes being a network cable or usb cable. The wireless LAN boards have an usb connector as well, meant for network connections via a cable, right ?

In that case, your network is screwed up. To connect more than two devices to a network (router, two computers), you need a hub or a switch to which you have to connect all your components. You need a setup like this:

Code:
    comp 1 *** hub/switch *** comp 2
                router

The asterisks mean a connection of any kind.

If your router has more than one network connector, it has a builtin hub/switch and you need a setup like this:

Code:
    comp 1 *** hub/switch+router *** comp 2
    I guess your hub/switch (which might be part of your router, see above) doesn't have a wireless interface.

In that case, you need another hub/switch with a wireless interface to which you can connect your router as well, if you want to use the wireless feature.

11. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

no i have a hub/switch that connects to the router

12. krischan

I wrote a rather long reply, so which part does your "no" refer to ? what about all the rest of my posting ?

It would be nice if were a little more elaborate with your descriptions. If you aren't sure what the problem is, people can only help you if you give them as much information as possible. I have to ask everything and that's not very efficient. It's not that I must help you, I'm just doing it because I'm such a nice guy :lol:

It seems one of your network cards is connected to the router (via USB) and to the other computer (via wireless) at the same time. That can't work.

13. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

ok i must have made a mistake somewhere or i said it wrong i the 2 cards are connected by usb to each computer.

Just before people ask i have not downloaded any third party programs.

to your last post about the connection i have a seperate hub which connects to the modem.

i tried to use diablo on the other computer but.... thats not getting past the first part it comes up with the message saying unable to connecto to battle.net
    so something is blocking it. Im not an expert when it comes to routers/internet connections so it must be the router that is blocking it because no firewalls are installled on that computer so help on how to unblock them would helpo :)

i appreciate all the help your giving and im trying my best to describe the problem the best i can.

14. krischan

Aha, so you have external network cards which are connected to your computers via USB.

Your router also is a hub/switch which supports wireless LAN, right ?

In that case, check the network of your computers and the router. Set it up like this:

I assume your router already connects to the ISP and it's correctly set up otherwise.

Set the computers up to be parts of a local network. Switch off DHCP ("obtain IP addresses automatically from a server" or something like that), set IP addresses to x.x.x.a and x.x.x.b, with x being the same numbers as your router and a and b being different numbers which are different from the last number of the router as well. Set the network mask to the same as the one of your router (should be 255.255.255.0). Set the gateway and the name server to the router's IP address.

Open a dos box (press start button, select "execute" and enter "cmd", without the quote), enter "ping www.diabloii.net" (without the quotes) and press enter. You should get replies like "Reply from 80.75.65.67: Bytes=32, time=87ms, TTL=54". If it hangs, change the name server to the one specified by your ISP. If the ping command it still doesn't work, check your settings and retry.

You can skip all that if e.g. your web browser already works.

If ping works, but you still can't connect to bnet, check the port filter settings of your router then. Outgoing connections to port 4000 and 6112 have to be allowed.

15. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

i know its been a while since i replied but been busy.

I formatted my computer today to try and fix this. I then set up the network again. I opened all the ports(6112 + 4000) i have been looking round here for fixes but ... found nothing.I checked my bnetlog and here it is

7/7 17:40:03.348 Auto-picking gateway based on GMT
    7/7 17:40:03.348 Find gateway closest to 00.00
    7/7 17:40:03.348 Gateway 4 (europe.battle.net at GMT -1) is closest to 00.00
    7/7 17:40:05.192 Connecting to Battle.net...
    7/7 17:40:05.192 querying gateway europe.battle.net
    7/7 17:40:05.223 searching for the fastest server
    7/7 17:40:05.301 Connected to server 213.248.106.66
    7/7 17:40:05.317 accessing accounts
    7/7 17:40:05.395 Checking for the latest version

is there any problems with the ip??

i also have the latest patch

also on my other computer(the one where the router is) i tried getting onto battle.net i can get past the login bit but its a constant realm down

16. krischan

It seems you get connected to bnet, but then bnet refuses to communivate furtherly with your game. Perhaps your game CD contains faulty data. You have the original game CDs, not a CD image or a copied CD, right ?

Perhaps your CD key is on bnet's blacklist, but I'm not sure which error is displayed then. BTW, you are using different keys on both computers, both for D2C and for LoD, right ?

BTW, can you use e.g. a web browser on both computers ?

17. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I didn't see this answered anywhere, but does this happen for any other realm apart from Europe?

18. krischan

A related question: Might the key come from out of Europe ? I heard that certain keys work for just one realm...

19. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

sounds like a bad cd or cd copy to me. the "checking versions" part is where it reads the version info off the cd.

20. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

i have 2 copies of the game(one is my friends) and they are bothe legit.

it doesn't matter what realm i am trying to get on to it will always get stuck at "checking versions" .

There are no problems with the internet on any of the computers. Just when i try to play diablo.

right so maybe if i uninstall it then reinstall it i will try the other cd keys.