Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cant get past hell archers

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by EmpaDoc, Sep 22, 2006.

1. EmpaDoc

EmpaDoc IncGamers Member

Cant get past hell archers

I don't understand this. I can cope pretty well in Act II Hell, but in Act 1, I get totally stuck already in the Dark Wood. It's those archers/black rogues that kill me. I am at level 73, a druid with wolves and Armageddon maxed. Now the clvl of those monsters is only 70 (IIRC), and they are immune to cold, so why do I have a problem?? They shouldn't be harder for me to kill than, say, the saber cats in Act II! But they are!

I have begun putting points in twister, is that a bad idea?

Thanks on beforehand. Yes, this is my first character in hell... ;)

2. frish

frish IncGamers Member

those archers are a real pain in the ***. their arrows deal quite some damage.
    that's the problem with them. they are just killing too damn fast...

twister is a bad idea imo (no damage and only short stun). better cast a few ravens to blind them. then they should be a piece of cake...

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Archers are one of the most dangerous enemies. They usually appear in packs, can be enchante with some nasty stuff (especially in Hell), and fire pretty fast.

4. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Are summon wolves and Armageddon your two main skills? What kind of merc, if any, do you have? Are you using Oak Sage? Griz Bear? How about FHR (Fast Hit rRecovery) items? Do you use a shield? What's your chance to block shown on the character screen? You can try to keep as many of your buddies (summons, hirelings) between you and the archers as possible, but I'm a bit concerned about your attack. Armageddon is fire only and stays in a fixed ring around your position. What other skills are you using to bring down the baddies?

5. malakho

malakho IncGamers Member

Ya, in line with what sirdoofus says...
    give us a rundown of your skills...where your points are. Without knowing exactly, here are some pointers for archers...

1) I usually try to put as much fast run/walk as possible on my windy and use a zigzag pattern to approach them. the arrows only fly so fast and with enough FRW I can usually stay ahead of them untilthey come in range of my hurricane, they then fall easily to my nadoes.
    2)Block can come in handy...its not the end all of defenses, but being able to block some of the arrows slung at you makes a difference. Its makes a bigone for my druid.
    3) don't neglect ravens. cast and recast. their cheap, and at higher levels are pretty effective at blinding those archers. just avoid the arrows until there blinded, and presto, they stand there with thumbs up noses until you or your sumons take them down.
    4)don't be afreaid to run, and regroup yourself. hit helps sometimes to tp to town to re-gather your forces and hop back in. Just be prepared to cast your area spell (sounds liek armageddon in this case). Often they've gathered at your tp...this is usually death for most charectars, but a boon for elemental druids (my windy loves plopping down in teh middle of a group with hurricane on)

of course, if your lucky enough to have enigma, problem solved. cast gedon, tele tele tele...:grin:

Malachi

6. EmpaDoc

EmpaDoc IncGamers Member

Thanks for answers, now I know I'm not the only one who has a hard time with those..
    OK, so I use Armageddon and wolves. Put some points into synergy skills for those. Usually summon the birds as well but I only have two points in that. Then I thought, I need something more for fire immune monsters, so I started putting points into twister, perhaps bad decision?
    Chance to block is 24%, and I have a lidless wall shield. For some reason I don't have a merc, don't ask me why, guess it's just because I haven't seen many other players who use them.. ;) Perhaps I should get one of the cold mercs from Act 3? (But they wouldn't help much for those rogues, they are immune to cold, right?)
    Never cared about FHR. Thought that elemental resist was the all important thing. Perhaps I should start caring about that as well, then!

7. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

ok ok, ur are obviously ignorate 2 the wonders of a act2 nightmare holyfreeze merc, hf 'penetrate enemies cold resistances' therefore no1 is immune 2 it, ive also found act3 mercs not helpful....
    fhr is very important, if u can move easily then im afraid that elemental dmg isnt going 2 do :lipsrsealed: 2 hlp u... when u get hit u go thro a blocking/dmg cycle fhr reduces this, enabling u 2 move off faster again once hit.
    having no real ability 2 deal with cold immune will hurt u l8r, but its prob a bit l8 4 twister...
    -silent

8. EmpaDoc

EmpaDoc IncGamers Member

OK thanks a bunch, holy freeze merc + fhr did the trick, now I finally made it past those rogues! :) And perhaps I should stop caring about twister and put the rest of my points into synergy skills for wolves / geddon..

9. SirDooFuss

You've certainly chosen an unusual and challenging build. Since version 1.10 and the introduction of skill synergies, careful placement of skill and stat points is very important. Congrats on getting this far in the game, but for your next character you should really look over the guides in the character class forums.

Good luck!

10. EmpaDoc

EmpaDoc IncGamers Member

Hm, you really think it is unusual? How? OK, I didn't really follow any prescription because I thought it was more fun to make it up for myself, but as far as I can see it rhymes very well with the elemental build presented here on this site. True, I haven't met any other druid who uses armageddon, and twister feels like a few wasted skill points.

11. SirDooFuss

Most elemental druids avoid Armageddon in favor of Hurricane. 'geddon only gets synergies from other fire attacks while Hurricane gets synergies from the physical attacks of Tornado, Twister and the ever popular Cyclone Armor (and vice versa!). I usually go for a Bear (great tank) and Oak sage (more life is always good), with +skill items adding to ravens for the heck of it. If you feel you're doing enough physical damage with your wolves, stick with them. No reason to switch to Tornados/Twisters at this point.
    Yeah, it's an unusual build but you seem to be making it work.:strong:

Good job!