Cant fool me

buttaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Cant fool me

I had made a forge rush game, so i could get gems, and while i was talking to this guy who wanted rush, an assassin eterned game. The assassin was sayin "I can dupe things for free" and he asked me if i wanted dupe. (it was my lvl 84 sorc) so the guy i was gona rush was about to do it, but i said to the sin "Show me first" so he goes, "wut u want me to dupe?" so i hand him some weak rare wand, so he couldnt just get a copy. Then he swore at me a couple of times, and After that little tantrum, he left, and i havn't heard from him since. :lol:

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
Ha Ha! Good idea! :clap:

Would work with a random magic item bought from a vendor too, if you didn't have a rare handy.

HardyTarget

Diabloii.Net Member
buttaz said:
I had made a forge rush game, so i could get gems, and while i was talking to this guy who wanted rush, an assassin eterned game. The assassin was sayin "I can dupe things for free" and he asked me if i wanted dupe. (it was my lvl 84 sorc) so the guy i was gona rush was about to do it, but i said to the sin "Show me first" so he goes, "wut u want me to dupe?" so i hand him some weak rare wand, so he couldnt just get a copy. Then he swore at me a couple of times, and After that little tantrum, he left, and i havn't heard from him since. :lol:
"dupe things for free", that even sounds so wrong.
I haven't come across such a scam yet but sounds pretty lame.
You handled it quite well, hopefully it'll decrease his interest of continuing such attempts.
High fives :thumbsup:

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
buttaz said:
I got a couple of those "want me to dupe items for you" people come into games I'm in. One of my favorites happened this week. Barb came into the game I was in and asked me if I wanted him to teach him how to dupe. I said no and he actually had the nerve to wonder why everyone that day was being such an <cant say the 7 letter word that proceeded>. then he left :lol

Other times what I have happening is people coming into a game i'm in and assuming because I lvled my paladin to a nice lvl that i have to have botted my way up there :rolleyes: :mad:.

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
HardyTarget said:
"dupe things for free", that even sounds so wrong.
I haven't come across such a scam yet but sounds pretty lame.
You handled it quite well, hopefully it'll decrease his interest of continuing such attempts.
High fives :thumbsup:
another scam is when they first show you an enigma or coh or whatnot and then take it away, replace it with a cheap lookalike and quickly hit accept. They must be stupid to think no one will confirm to make sure its still the same item the second time around.

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Diabloii.Net Member
In 1.10 the last scam has become much less likely to be successful, because in this patch when an item is removed from trade screen (by taking it or replacing) the Accept button becomes red for a couple of second. It's a good indication that the other guy has changed something.
That's why not many people actually try it anymore.

HardyTarget

Diabloii.Net Member
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
In 1.10 the last scam has become much less likely to be successful, because in this patch when an item is removed from trade screen (by taking it or replacing) the Accept button becomes red for a couple of second. It's a good indication that the other guy has changed something.
That's why not many people actually try it anymore.
Actually people do try it, just in a little different way.
You agree on some trade with the person (you maybe have the items already in the tradewindow), then the "scammer" says he has no space whatsoever and goes to his stash.
He comes back to trade, the tradewindow opens, he waits you put your runes or whatever in there and then puts his look-alike in there and immediately hits accept.
Some people don't check if the item has same stats anymore in this part of the trade and just hit accept too.
I've been in a situation like that a few times.
It's pretty easy to figure out there's something wrong if the person "doesn't have enough space".
Doublechecking always recommended :p

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, whether or not he as "enough space" doesn't matter: whenever something changes in the trade window, check it. And check it completely --- check that the LO is still a LO and not a IO, check that the ethreal thing is still ethreal, check that the 250% ed is still 250% and so on.

For me, it seems much more likely that scammers succeed by changing their part of the trade into something that's not total crap (such as changing Enigma into a plain armor), but into something that's simply a much less valuable version of the same item so people still see the same item, but it now has crappy stats.

yelopen

Diabloii.Net Member
same thing happened with me
the switcharoo i mean

some guy wanted an eth rune for a peasants crown
blah blah he showed it to me
then he's like "wait"

and he runs over to malah in act 5 (he must be stupid that makes it seem suspicious :D ) and puts a superior cap in its place

lol :)
and no i didn't accept :p

HardyTarget

Diabloii.Net Member
yelopen said:
same thing happened with me
the switcharoo i mean

some guy wanted an eth rune for a peasants crown
blah blah he showed it to me
then he's like "wait"

and he runs over to malah in act 5 (he must be stupid that makes it seem suspicious :D ) and puts a superior cap in its place

lol :)
and no i didn't accept :p
Wow, he must've been quite desperate.
I don't see peasant crowns that valuable :p
Maybe it's the scamming/fooling other players that makes them feel great, not getting a free item.

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Diabloii.Net Member
HardyTarget said:
It's pretty easy to figure out there's something wrong if the person "doesn't have enough space".
Of course, but this doesn't necessarily mean that a man is trying to cheat. This happens quite often, especially when you're trading for PGems. Sometimes, somebody just makes a mistake counting free space, if inventory is filled with something else. Well, just check before Accept - and you'll be fine.
Myrakh-2 said:
check that the LO is still a LO and not a IO
Well, one must be super inattentive, to fall to this. LO has a similar name to IO, but pretty different look in the trade window. :)
By the way, sometimes a scammer makes a fair trade to prove you, he's honest. So, first successful trade doesn't mean next time he won't try to scam you. So check the items properly EVERY TIME.