Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can't find saved game files (version 1.12 for Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TwoStringAmoeba, May 23, 2017.

1. TwoStringAmoeba

TwoStringAmoeba Diabloii.Net Member

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for my saved character files for single player. I tried to update the version from 1.12 to the current version: "Battle.Net is unable to properly identify your application version."

This version was purchased over Amazon as the Collectors Edition with the Diablo skull that comes with the Soulstone USB.

2. tokerdin

tokerdin Diabloii.Net Member

Im not sure if it was windows 10 or 1.14 that did it to me but my save files are C/users/(user name)/saved games/diablo II. they always used to be in the game file. I think its default is c/program files x86/diablo II

Try running with compatibility mode and run as administrator. Im pretty sure thats what i had to do.

3. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Don't put old programs in new windows system directories like "program files". Make some other path. Can potentially save you a lot of trouble with write protected files, etc.

Try to run a search for any .d2s files, that usually gives them away.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

So there are two problems: First, updating from 1.12 to 1.14. Second, finding the saved characters.

Before 1.14, the saved games are in a subfolder of the game directory. From 1.14 on, they will be in C:/Users/(User name)/Saved Games/Diablo II.

You wrote that you tried to upgrade from 1.12. I'm pretty sure that the game versions on original CDs are V1.0 /(core game) respectively 1.07 (expansion), so perhaps you bought some dubious software? Or did you upgrade to 1.12 in separate?

The message "version cannot be identified" usually appears if something messed with the game files. I would try the following:

1. Delete the existing installation on your computer, preferable via the Control Panel, but deelting the directory right away should worjk as well.
    2. Clear the registry: Press Windows-R, enter regedit, confirm the action and find and delete the folders HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Diablo II and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Battle.net. It might be a good idea to make a backup of these folders via File->Export, in case something goes wrong.
    3. Install from fresh, without updating yet, using the downloaded archive.
    4.Copy the saved games folder back into the game directory, then update to 1.14. From that patch level on, the saved games will be in "C:/Users/(user name)/Saved Games/Diablo II" or so.

If that doesn't work, you could also register your game keys on the Blizzard website, and install the game from the download that is available there.

5. TwoStringAmoeba

TwoStringAmoeba Diabloii.Net Member

This issue has been resolved. This is what I did:

I searched .d2s files in my C drive, copy and pasted my character files into a usb, copy and pasted the files into the "Save" folder in Diablo II under Program Files (x86) on a separate PC with Diablo II installed. I had to create a new folder on the separate PC in Diablo II and named it "Save". I logged on Diablo 2 single player; my characters from the original PC were available to play.

In case anyone is wondering, when I searched .d2s under the search bar in the C drive, when I right clicked on one of my character files and looked under properties, this is what it said under the file location (Side note for anyone running Version 1.12 on Windows 10):

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Save

I'd like to apologize in advance if I clumped together any quotes, for this wasn't my intention.

Thank you all for the help.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To my knowledge,Windows (Vista and beyond) uses this virtual store thingy if it's told to do so upon a regular installation or perhaps when putting the game into the "program files" directory (I'm not sure). Instead of making a regular installation, I usually copy the game directory from the old computer to the new one (elsewhere than in "program files") and create the icons by hand.

7. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

The save path is stored in the registry, so you can always change it back to the program folder if you want. Upon patching to 1.14 it will change it to the saved games folder. In older patches it would have been windows which changed the folder.