Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can't find my saves

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zorrah, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

Can't find my saves

So, I'm running Windows Vista, and I've a few mid level characters I don't want to lose and some mules that I passed gear on by playing in LAN games. I don't want to do the LAN thing to pass gear, so I downloaded one of those Mule programs. Some weird things I've noticed.

I have no saves in my DII folder.

I can not log onto battlenet unless I run as admin.

If I run as admin, all my single player characters disappear.

If I don't run as admin, they are all there and I can save perfectly.

I searched for my character names, and for .d2s files and found nothing when doing the search. Any idea where I can find where these characters are saved? Am I SOL when it comes to backing them up and/or using a mule program to transfer? I also think if I put them in the DII saves folder and run as admin, It will work like how I feel it should work.. By putting my saves in /diablo 2/saves.

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Re: Can't find my saves

When you run under Admin, are you running under a different user account than when you aren't running as Admin? Is it possible you have more than one install of D2, and that which version is running changes when you swap accounts?

I'm really fuzzy on the details of how Windows 7 works, but from your description, it really feels like a double game install to me.

3. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

I do not know about the double install, but I do have windows 7 and think that they will be in the same place as on vista. Go to...
    C: \Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\save
    Replace UserName with your logon name. If you do not have 64bit you may not need the (x86) part. You may also have to enable hidden folders/files maybe even system folders/files.

If you want to keep your saves inside the save folder here is what I would try. I would just try as tavaritz below me says to install in another place so that you do not have to do the steps I provided, then edited out. If you want the steps pm me though I can not take responsibility if you mess up your computer with my steps. If you follow the steps exactly as I provide you should not however.

P.S. This is the second time I have answered this exact question about vista/win7 within a matter of minutes (look in the ATMA thread) And probably the fourth time since I got my win7 laptop. Maybe it was a good thing that I went to win7 so that I knew about this. Oh well... ;p

P.P.S. Cattleya, MS changed the way it allows users/programs to access the program files directory along with others. Only admins are allowed to change most of the folder's contents and settings. This was to increase security and try to keep rogue programs (ie viruses/trojans) from changing files/folders. Instead windows keeps the changes inside a 'virtual store' this enables programs to still believe they are writing to the program files folder and function normally. OR at least as normally as they can. I do not know why zorrah was not able to connect to b.net though as the only time I did that was to update and this was after I gained ownership of the Diablo II folder.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I just changed my game installations out from program files directory to separate games directory. No need to try to get the permissions rigth. Works fine.

5. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Just out of curiosity, not saying it would not work, but did you choose to install them in another place (ie not Program Files) when you are asked which folder from the installer? Or did you cut and move the folder after installation? It would help me help others in the future with that knowledge. I believe you meant the former. Thank you for the heads up.

6. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I reinstalled them into the games folder and copied the saves from the old place.

7. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

Perfect, I found them now. The mule program read me had that file listed, but it was hidden. Thank you.