Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cannot Connect to BNet

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Angelus Meritae, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Angelus Meritae

Angelus Meritae IncGamers Member

Cannot Connect to BNet

I jut bought D2 Battle Chest today, and its doing one of two things, first it will say my Serial Key I entered is not valid to access BNET, then after it will say that it cant connect to the internet.. I'm at a loss here.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It means the key is disabled for bnet play, probably because somebody else used it for hacking or cheating and got caught by Blizzard.

3. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Similar thing happened to me.

Congratulations. You've been ip banned for something you didn't do.

4. Angelus Meritae

=( What do I do then? It's sort of unjustified since I just bloody bought the game yesteraday. I have the receipts and everything, so they can kiss my ***

5. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Same thing i'm doing, you look up all the tech support information that you can, and explain to them how they can't and shouldn't do this crap, just b/c the online service is "free", and that all you bought was "the liscence to play the single-player game", nah, you bought the right to play EVERY aspect of anything INCLUDED in that package of yours, in my opinion..

...there is NO free client of any of these games you can [legally] download in order to play this "free" battle.net service.. you have to BUY the game, or have a PURCHASED, working, legitiment key in order to access the service. part of what you pay goes toward this, and I think more people should realize it.

But you're not alone in this restriction crap, and yes, you could return the game and get your money back as well.. damn shame though, it is an awesome game to play online, but this sort of thing ruins it, I totally agree..

6. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

Before you do anything you should double check and make sure the cd key you entered was correct.

Its easy to mistype a letter. A mistyped letter could easily be an inactive cd key. Not every cd key that is a valid key is activated on battle.net.

7. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

I thought upon installation it told you if you had entered an incorrect key?

I'm guessing what happened is their CD key installation was fine b/c the key itself is legitiment and official, then they tried to join battle.net, and it ruled it out as invalid b/c of the key disable, or probably the same thing with me, an error made by the monitoring system.

..the same apparant monitoring system that they have no control over, thus why they tell you "we cannot disable restrictions. there is nothing we can do."

lol

either way it sounds like this poor dood is restricted b/c its giving that "Unable to connect to battle.net" msg :cry:

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

BTW, where did you buy the game ?

Never buy online games from dubious sources. Don't buy used game keys at all, except from trustful, personal RL friends. Buy the game personally, unopened and in its original wrapping. Keep the receipt.

9. Angelus Meritae

I bought it from EB games ( BRAND NEW, UNUSED ), whom I have much faith in and usually all their products are pretty good quality. I guess I'll try to reinstall it tonight.. I'm pretty sure I typed in the key right, but we will have to see. Otherwise, I will probably return to EB and get a new copy.

10. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

eB has great selection and everything, but 2 things to note about them:

1- They don't prescreen their used games. They'll buy them off anyone as long as the discs arent majorly scratched.

2- If you bought a pre-owned d2, or went to the counter with a d2 box, they'll also ask if you want to get a pre-owned one instead sometimes, to save coins. They don't test (or have any reasonable way of testing) these cdkeys, if they're banned or not online, so there's no way of telling. They also sell their "new" d2 games as new still, even if someone else's bought it and returned it (obstenibly to jack the key, and make up a bs excuse), so that may well be what happened in your case.

11. Angelus Meritae

I called into Blizzard Support and the person told me to return it to EB for a new copy of the game, or to send the keys to blizzard so they can exchange them. Didn't turn out too badly it seems :)