Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Canadian Grand Prix Next Week, Who's going to be there? if

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by razen, May 28, 2008.

1. razen

razen IncGamers Member

Canadian Grand Prix Next Week, Who's going to be there?

Cause I am! (85% sure)

This is my first time going to a live grand prix event. Anyone that's been to one of those have any advice for a novice? (Like what equipments I need? Binocular, Small Portable TV? Scoresheet?)

Also, I want to buy tickets tomorrow, I don't know if I should get the normal/silver/gold stand seating. (I am thinking silver because of the locaiton around a bend... good idea?)

(also, how amazing is the qualifying? It's dramatically more expensive to buy tickets for all 3 days... so Saturday and Sunday?)

If I get normal seating, how early should I go to get good seats? (Also, where is considered good seats?)

Oh man, I can't wait...

(Can anyone also help me out on hotel cost/traffic and all that information? Also, after the Grand Prix is over, what's something to do in Montreal?)

2. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

Re: Canadian Grand Prix Next Week, Who's going to be there?

Yeah all 3 days are ridiculously expensive. I've only been to the Moslon Indy (when it was called the Moslon Indy). I was pretty young so I don't remember much, but I would recommend ear plugs. The cars are unbelievably loud. You might want binoculars depending on where you're located.

Things to do in Montreal..heh, strip joints are cheap :)

3. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Prix.... is that like the plural of Prick?

:flip:

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Don't they run that one with Dog-Sleds?

5. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

:rolleyes:

There will be fast driving, cars weaving in and out, people cutting each other off and lots of crazy drivers, and that's just the regular traffic on the way to the Grand Prix.

6. Nazdakka

Nazdakka IncGamers Member

Consider ear-defenders/plugs, especially if you happen to be bringing kids. F1 cars are stupid loud. Also, at least judging from my experience ~10 years ago at Silverstone, you might want a portable radio/similar so you have some idea of the big picture - it's not always easy to figure out what's going at other sections of the track, especially since you often won't be able to hear the loudspeaker commentry over the din of cars. I didn't find binoculars to be necessary on my trip. Also, wear sunscreen if it's sunny. You'll be outside all day.

The best places to see some action will be places where the cars are under braking - if you're on a straight, you'll just see them zooming past without really getting close together. I've never been to the track, but I would imagine that the best place for exciting racing would be turn 11 (aka the Pits Hairpin) - it's the very tight hairpin bend at the extreme Northern end of the track. That's the sort of corner where F1 cars overtake most easily. The cars will also be in view for a relatively long period, and you'll see them braking down from 200+mph to 60-ish, and then powering out of the corner again.

The other place which looks good is the final chicane and the start/finish straight. You'll get the start, the final chicane is an overtaking opportunity, and also the exit of that chicane catches a lot of drivers out, so it's likely that someone will end up in that wall at some point during the weekend. That area will probably be expensive, though.

I don't see much value in going on the Friday if it's going to cost you a lot more. You'll have time to have a good look at the cars if you're there for the whole of Saturday and Sunday, and Friday is comfortably the least eventful of the three days. They're just getting the cars set up and doing some testing, not actually competing with each other. I wouldn't think there'd be many support races, either. Saturday has qualifying, and you should see some other races.

Can't answer the rest of the questions from this side of the Atlantic, but enjoy your trip!

7. razen

razen IncGamers Member

thanks! that's extremely helpful information :grin:

-----------

so, anyone going at all?