Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Canada denies refugee status to US Army Deserter.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rplusplus, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

Canada denies refugee status to US Army Deserter.

Full Story Here

Thank you Canada! Well it seems that an Army Deserter was denied the refugee status in Canada that he was looking for. Hopefully in time, after another hearing or two, he will be returned to America where he will face charges of desertion.

I mean really. When you sign on the dotted line on the Voluntary form, don't you know that you may be asked to go to War? I can ALMOST see the Draft Dodgers in the 70's having a point as back then it was involuntary. But these guys joined up to get training and money for college but when the heat got heavy they wanted out.

So anyways, Thanks Canada, for being our good neighbor to the north.

R++

2. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

damn hippies....

3. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

OMG! I agree with R++!! At least for now until Ilad12 and/or maccool post something. Maybe they can give a point of view that i hadn't thought of...

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Those goddamn commie frogs have crossed us for the last time! First they undermine the profits of noble American drug firms and then they reject our highly necessary missile defense plan and now this? It's the LAST STRAW I . . . uh . . . what? Oh, they're on our side after all? Oh, well, sorry. In that case, this.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't see how they can say anything beyond "No blood for OIL!", the guy signed a contract and broke it.

EDIT: Durf, do I get cookie points for finding all the provinces first?

6. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Based on his having served in Afghanistan, I'm inclined to disbelieve the "he wanted out when it got hot and heavy" angle and believe his own claim that he wanted out because he held the belief that the Iraq war was illegitimate. He felt that he was disobeying an illegal order, which is something that signing on the dotted line binds you to do.

Edit while I'm here: Just as a point of clarity, Canada hasn't actually done anything meaningful here as far as I can tell. All they've done is said he won't be considered a refugee because he won't face any rights violations by returning home.

7. DurfBarian

Yeah. You get double bonus cookie points for telling me how to activate WinXP in a VPC install on both my PowerBook and my G4 tower.

8. rplusplus

That is his argument, but I would also say that someone who went into battle and was facing going back into battle might have "Chickened out", and tried the Conscientious Objector as an easy out?

I mean, if you are willing to go to war one place what is the big difference of going to war in another place that your government sends you too. I do understand that a lot of people have issue with the war in Iraq, and some see it as unjust. BUT You don't get to pick where your government sends you. IF he REALLY had an issue, don't you think that he wouldn't have joined the military? I mean THINK before you do something like joining the military.

AND instead of doing everything to settle it in the states he bails to Canada and tries to tell them he would be persecuted in the states? No, he would be dealt with by the military and most likely seperated from service. I mean reallly if he wanted and easy out all he had to do was smoke a J and he would have been administratively seperated in one month. But instead he runs away.

R++

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I think the hang-up is that Afghanistan is to Iraq as self-defense is to armed robbery. He joined the army before 9/11, I don't think he had any idea that he'd be asked to go to Iraq to kill people under false pretenses, so his options when the time came around were basically limited to saying no or formulating some weird plan around breaking an unrelated law and hoping to get caught and hoping to get sent home if he did get caught. He chose saying no, mad props for having balls and/or for not being Wile E. Coyote.

He'll probably do some time if he comes back, laws are laws, but I'm not gonna be the one to tell him "Shame on you for not slaughtering innocents against your will."

10. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I think i would make an excellent soldier...

J/k.

11. rplusplus

See, that is where I then go.... "So everyone who IS overthere is a criminal and slaughtering innocents"? I know I am taking that WAY out of what you said but that is how it appears doesn't it. He says in the article that he didn't want to go over and become a war criminal. There are close to 200,000 men and women serving in Iraq and with the exception of a few malcontents they are serving with honor protecting Innocents FROM slaughter.

R++

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Hang him.
    Seriously he lives in USA and he joined the military.
    The chance of him not being sent to war all the time is slim to none.

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I'm glad Canada denied him refugee status. The next step is to ship him back.

14. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Which innocents would he have been asked to slaughter?

15. rplusplus

It's couldn't have been Uday and Qusay. They are already dead.

*But I do know what he meant*

R++

16. olie0923

olie0923 IncGamers Member

I think they should ship him back and he should face the music. He knew full and well that he could have been sent somewhere and may have to take a human life, whether he agreed with it or not. That is how the military works and part of it's purpose.

As far as him wanting out. There are many many ways of getting out of the military. I was in and watched a lot of people get out b/c they couldn't handle it in many ways. It isn't very hard. He didn't have to run and be a coward. He could have basically told his NCO or CO to go to hell and that he wouldn't take part in it. Yeah, he might (probably) would have got into some kind of trouble but it would probably be less trouble than what he will be in if he faces the military court now.

17. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

ditto :cool:

18. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

that thing is hard, I found oot but I can't find aboot

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

denied and kicked out, ONE OF US!!! ONE OF US!!!

kick them all out! dagum border hoppers!

You and I are very much alike; immigration is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend, I am but a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light.

20. DurfBarian

Do you know what the Ark is? It's a radio for talking to God!