Can you upgrade uniques twice?

Origin

Diabloii.Net Member
Can you upgrade uniques twice?

can you use the upgrading recipe twice on a normal unique in order to make it elite?

also can you socket an item first and then upgrade it and it will keep the thing you socketed it with? (i'd assume so but you never know)

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Origin said:
can you use the upgrading recipe twice on a normal unique in order to make it elite?

also can you socket an item first and then upgrade it and it will keep the thing you socketed it with? (i'd assume so but you never know)
Yes you can upgrade twice if you are on ladder, but NL can only go from normal to exceptional.

As far as the item that is socketed in it, I would think that you get to keep it but I am not 100% sure about that.

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Harleyquin said:
What about single player?
In single player you should be able to upgrade twice,

IIRC single player has all the same stuff that ladder does except the newest runewords.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Not necessarily

pncwd said:
In single player you should be able to upgrade twice,

IIRC single player has all the same stuff that ladder does except the newest runewords.
Ladder-only Horadric Cube recipes are just that: ladder-only. This means the second upgrading (exceptional to elite) as well as the new runewords are only possible through a modification for D2:LOD, but that's something different.

{
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top background=0>
</TD><TD vAlign=top background=0>[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (Ladder Only)
This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example a Cleaver is turned into a Small Crescent. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Exceptional Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. You cannot do this formula unless you are using a Ladder Character. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain. [/size][/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top background=0>
</TD><TD vAlign=top background=0>[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]1 Ko Rune + 1 Lem Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Exceptional Unique Armor = Elite Version of Armor (Ladder Only)
This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example Ghost Armor is turned into a Dusk Shroud. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. You cannot do this formula unless you are using a Ladder Character. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain. Armor refers to any sort of armor, including helms, boots, belts, gloves and shields, not just body armor. [/size][/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
}

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry that's just not true, we (single players) really do have all the formulas and rune words with the exception of the newest runewords as pncwd said.

If you don't believe me just ask in the Single Player Forum.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
TopHatCat is right.
When upgrading item will not loose the socketed runes/jewels, they will still be there.