Can you identify trees?

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Can you identify trees?

I think pine and palm trees are the only ones I can indentify. Oaks, pines, elms and more mystify me. I don't even know what kind of tree our front yard tree or our back yard tree is.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup, I know a tree when I see one.

*points at a tree*

See? There's one now.

yeah i know pines and palms.

and apples.

and dog woods.

i might be able to point out a marijuana tree as well. :rolleyes: unlikely though.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok,
I can distinguish between the more common trees that I've grown up around. Like live oaks, pin oaks, post oaks, ceder, a few varieties of pine, elm, pecan, peach, and a few more.

Can I describe them in here? No. All I can do is look at them and tell what they are.

Freet said:
Yup, I know a tree when I see one.

*points at a tree*

See? There's one now.
Me too. I can tell a tree from almost anything that is not a tree.

But yeah, in my old days of foresting in Vermont, I learned to tell plenty of trees from each other. Good money in harvesting firewood.

SilentMagik

Diabloii.Net Member
I know all the common ones where I live. spruce, pine, birch, maple, mountain ash, oak, chestnut, aspen, alder, juniper and of course

The larch.. The larch.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Most of my late spring/early summer days are spent either chopping trees, trimming trees, splitting logs, or planting saplings so yes, I know my trees. :)

It's good hard work and I absolutely love it.

It's pretty important to know your trees if you're harvesting firewood. Ash only takes about six months to dry properly. Oak on the other hand can take a couple of years.

MixedVariety said:
Good money in harvesting firewood.
Indeed, a cord of wood up here is worth its weight in gold - thanks especially to the ridiculous fuel oil prices.

Dredd said:
Ash only takes about six months to dry properly.
Ah yes, and you have but to look at it and it will split for you. It's like the perfect firewood.
Conversely, when splitting by hand, I've been known to spend a fruitless half hour vainly trying to open a piece of elm.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
I am good at identifying trees too. We mostly have oaks on my property, easy to i.d. because they usually are huge and take several hundred years to mature.

Jigga-Scrooge

Diabloii.Net Member
one time in my botany class, a lot of the students in the class were slacking, so the teacher made us write a paper saying why he should take us outside and show us how to prune (i think its prune, if im wrong, youll know later) trees. in the paper i basically said how his life was a waste and that class is pointless. so he kicked me out. theres my trees for ya.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
I live out in the English countryside so I see lots of trees. I can tell the tree types apart and what they are sure.

I
I

Look! Half a christmas tree...

KnightFall

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Walking library

I can identify any tree, bird, animal, vegetable, or mineral with just a glance...at the guide book.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
we can shut down this thread now as i am the treeman supreme. I have got like 75 bonsai, pine and other kinds. For my work i take care of like 300 palm tree's and some 200 laurel tree's in all kinda shape's. I can recognise and name most tree's in the world. How about that!?

Edit: And i am very modest about it too. :D

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
I am good with the more common trees.

I should be as I spent a good deal of my youth climbing them.

I know most trees around here, if I go farther north I can get confused between the pine trees.

I'm a Boy Scout, I know how to catch fish with a tree. . .well several ways really. Seriously, I do.

I have a few trees in my backyard that are kind of unique around here. A Weeping Sherlock(Pine tree that has long tendrils that droop over like all weeping trees), a Dwarf Japanese Maple(its only like 4 feet tall and its 20 years old), and a Black Pine(Needles on it are a very very deep purple, usually looks black unless you look closely at the needles)