Can you explain this comic strip?

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Can you explain this comic strip?

B.C. 11/21/06

It might make a tiny bit of sense without the underlined word, saying that school doesn't prepare you for the real world, but with that word stressed, it just doesn't make sense.

Ikeren

Diabloii.Net Member
The way I am interpreting it is that there isn't enough social funding for government subsidized housing, and a stab at the number of homeless on the streets.

My second guess is that it is mocking traffic jams some how, but that seems even more far-fetched.

kobold

Banned
Perhaps the cartoonist is trying to say that traditional schools may present facts, etc., but that children get exposed to more than parents may want them to while on the bus (ie. sex, drugs, etc.)? I get this from the learn being emphasized, followed by "the facts of life".

Perhaps the cartoonist is trying to say that traditional schools may present facts, etc., but that children get exposed to more than parents may want them to while on the bus (ie. sex, drugs, etc.)? I get this from the learn being emphasized, followed by "the facts of life".
That is what I got out of it. I know I learned things on the bus that I shouldn't have.

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
The classroom teaches you the academic lessons you need to advance as a student. The schoolbus is a venue that allows the student to learn lessons you need to advance as a social human being.

Friends/bullies/the cute girl you had a crush on. All under the responsibility of merely only a distracted bus driver (no supervision).

Children can be so cruel.

How did you get drugs/sex out of that?

Lord Nyax

Banned
The "learn" is emphasized, so obviously it's implying that they only learn on the bus...I hope. On the other hand, the writer might just be having an off day.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
We don't have this whole schoolbus culture thing here, not many students get to school via dedicated buses. I think it's because we're more spread out, they'd need like ten buses per school.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
How are children supposed to get to school when they are so spread out from the schools? Parents I suppose? This would create major problems with many working parents I would think.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yikes, our schools could never afford that. You're not counting ordinary buses, right? That's just school buses?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
How are children supposed to get to school when they are so spread out from the schools? Parents I suppose? This would create major problems with many working parents I would think.
Most either got a ride (not that many, maybe 20%) or caught public transport.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Most either got a ride (not that many, maybe 20%) or caught public transport.
In some of the less populated places in my state (we have 3 of the 5 least populated counties I think) pretty much everyone is bused. I'm talking like 20 kids for dozens of miles. The bus rides take hours, but the parents are farmers and don't have the time to drive to school and back twice a day. I think there's a law that says busing must be made available.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, how do your schools afford it? Ours are strapped for cash as it is. They are the ones paying for it, right?

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, how do your schools afford it? Ours are strapped for cash as it is. They are the ones paying for it, right?
They don't, but they do it anyway. Then they go on strike for the first two weeks of the schoolyear every couple years to ask for more money for teachers.