Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can the characters... character make you want or not want to play them?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by theeliminator, Oct 26, 2010.

1. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Can the characters... character make you want or not want to play them?

I was reading the Blizzcon interview from Ausgamers and it got me to thinking. With all the character perspective they are putting in to the game could it actually rub people the wrong way and make them not want to play the class cause they don't like their personality?

Lets take the Female Wiz as an example, She is pegged as a self righteous egotistical know it all. For me that don't sound like a character I would like to be. But, I can see how some people might want to play a character like that.

I am not saying they need to make every character nice and perfectly likable.

I am just asking if you might not want to play a character just based on their personality?

Also think sooner or later we will play them all but their personality might just push them down or even up on your list of who you want to play as.

I would also like to say that, I really like this idea of giving each character a distinct personality. I hope they really explore the idea of making each characters quest log unique, as well as have each quest log be fully voice over-ed by each character. It would play more to the dev teams "play, don't tell"

What do you guys think?

2. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Can the characters... character make you want or not want to play them?

My biggest concern is the potential plotholes in the dialogue of the Male Barbarian. They may do it right, but I have a feeling there will be /something/ that doesn't fit.

Although his conversations with Tyrael, Cain and maybe even Diablo will be interesting.

3. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Where's my money? *slap*

4. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

I love God of War and I'm not an insane bipolar bald man with bulging biceps.

5. FletVictus

FletVictus Diabloii.Net Member

I could definitely see being annoyed by a certain attitude, but to be honest, not any of the ones I'd expect from the 5 classes... maybe the monks might be annoying, but I doubt it.

6. theeliminator

The way they talked about the Male barb was he was going to be brewed and depressed about the loss of his homeland, I hope they don't make him emo, or maybe he starts off all brooding and depressed then when Sh** starts to hit the fan he gets energized and has a place to vent his anger. I agree the best part of the Barb might be the interaction between him and Tyrael, the man that destroyed his homelands.

We really don't know much at all about the WD really, its hard to say what they are fighting for, and what their personalities will be.

If they make each gender have their own personality then I am going to end up playing the game 10 times over.

O and I couldn't stand Kratos as a character that is one of the reasons I never got into the God of war games.

7. kavlor

kavlor Diabloii.Net Member

No or not for me.Im more interested in the skills they have and what they can do with the loot I find, the backstory will have no effect on me in this type of game of wether I play a character.If I dont play all the character and extensively something is wrong(I might play some more than others)as I did this in D2.

8. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

I was secretly hoping the 5th char would be a duke nukem type. Really need a duke hit right about now. That's about the only time I've really gotten into character with computer gaming. Luv my duke wise cracking smackdown.

9. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

I was sort of turned off the male monk based on the monster animations when he hits them with his fast attack abilities. The monsters look ridiculous how they recoil from the hit and then recover instantly. Because of this, the monk is sitting in last place in terms of play order. That's got nothing to do with his 'character' per se, but I hope it counts for the purposes of your thread. :)

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

back story will never make me not use a character, i will roleplay any background they give me. a good background however will only enhance my enjoyment of the character

11. exorte

exorte Diabloii.Net Member

Except the Barbarian all other class have the same story for male and female.
    Barbarian have two story because the male is the guy from Diablo 2.

Kratos story is pretty mess up after they decide to add squels. It is like he never learns...

12. fromtheshadow

fromtheshadow Diabloii.Net Member

they have already said that the male barbarian dialog will consider that he was in diablo 2, if you rewatch the first gameplay vid, you will see his dialog with cain where he says: "Cain you still live!" which implies that he knows cain from previous encounters.

also i think it will be a nice touch for the barbarian to depressed a little, he can take out his anger on the demons.
    It will be interesting playing the barb in bastion keep.

13. theeliminator

@Kavlor, Apoc, exorte, and fromtheshadow
    I am not talking about background story, I am talking solely about the characters personality. And how the voice actor portrays the character.

So to clarify here is an over exaggerated example: Lets say that the WD talks and acts like a teenage girl from Hollywood California,would you play as that character?

No, not really, but thanks for trying lol

But did they say they will have the same personality?

It comes down to story, if you don't care about the story of the game then I guess you wont care what kind of personality a character has. All you want to do is hack and slash. So its a good thing they are making the game "play, don't tell" cause only people that want the story will seek it out.

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

character personality, same answer for me. i can pretty much roleplay anything

15. Neltharion

Neltharion Diabloii.Net Member

I'm gonna be a Wizard no matter what but I just hope he hasn't too high up a nose.

In NPC conversations, if there are options, I'll try to be as humble and gentle as possible.

16. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

I find the character's personality is important depending on the game. For example, as someone mentioned, in games like God of War, which are action and adventure games, I think whether the character is the incarnation of destruction or the avatar of plastic bottles is irrelevant, because the objective for me is to just have unattached fun.

But in RPGs I tend to go with the character which have a more natural attitude towards life and situations. For example in D2, although I always favor melee classes, I went with the Necromancer because I liked his story of "finding the source of chaotic forces and restoring balance into a system or order" and despite his experience with death, he acts with respect towards danger.

In D3, the Wizards seem very annoying to me, because they looks frail, proud, pedantic and overconfident, so I'll probably stick with the Barbarian, because of his sense of belonging, feeling that war is the only place where he fits; I also like the idea behind the Demon Hunter but her attitude seems cocky and lame, so I'll have to see how the male DH looks like before deciding.

17. Your Average WoW Player

Your Average WoW Player Diabloii.Net Member

I've been thinking about this question for some time now, and I think I'm ready to answer:

For me, it's a non-issue. I really like the Wizard's background story and "implied personality" so it's not really an issue for me.

For others, I think it depends on their focus. Is their focus smashing everything in their path and just getting to Hell and doing all the crazy stuff there? Then in that case, I don't really think they're going to care one way or another what the background is. For some who want to enjoy the game, get to know the lore, the story, find out what's buried under every rock (hopefully it's not a crappy "Worn Quilted Armor"), they might be turned off by a particular background. I know that starting with StarCraft 1 there's been a role-playing community that enjoyed those kinds of maps, and I know that such communities endure to this day in WC3 and SC2. I wouldn't be surprised if it exists in D2 and might carry into D3. For those people, they very well might be put off by the background. It might not be fun for them to roleplay in. Who knows.

18. Kurogane

Kurogane Diabloii.Net Member

Very, very, very few gamers actually bother with backstory.

From the time I spent on Battle.net, similar multiplayer services, or just simply talking with other gamers most of them don't really give that much of a hoot about their character's past.

Now if these had an in-game effect then maybe there'd be some reaction. Say if one of the female characters had a high pitched boob head voice because she was a teeny booper idol who got pulled by some random rip in time-space So all you'd hear for a hundred or so hours would be "OHMIGOSH *giggle* LIKE *giggle* OHMYGOD *giggle* LIKE *giggle* REALLY *giggle* GOSH *giggle* YOU *giggle* KNOW" then yes, I'd say the "backstory" does matter there. Although the mute button does help.

Also have you somehow forgotten that we're talking about Diablo? I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of the gaming population is just there for skull or number crunching. Actually I'd be surprised, "MY *giggle* GOD! *giggle* HALF? *giggle* ONLY *giggle* HALF *giggle* YOU'RE *giggle* LIKE *giggle* PULLING *giggle* MY *giggle* LEG *giggle* OH *giggle* MY *giggle* GOD *giggle*"

Seriously speaking though, this is Diablo. We're talking about Action RPG gamers. Plot and anything related to it takes a backseat.

19. theeliminator

I guess I am just one of the people that care about personality and story. Don't get me wrong I love smashing skulls as much as the next guy but story just as important.

D2 had a good story, most of it you had to work for. I was one of those players that after getting a quest I went to each and every person in town and heard what they had to say about the quest. Then I would leave and come back later when my bags were full and talk to them all again, cause most of the time they had something new to say.

So, for me one of the best parts of D2 was when the characters spoke. It brought them to life.

From what we have seen they will speak a lot more then they did in D2.

20. drwyrm

drwyrm Diabloii.Net Member

I don't much like the Witch Doctor's character designs, but maybe with good armor he'll look better. He's as close as D3 looks to get to the D2 necromancer (unless the inevitable expansion adds something closer).

As far as storyline stuff goes, I'll generally only read it once, and then just bypass it the rest of the time. If it's unskippable, then it's just going to tick players off when they have to sit through it dozens/hundreds of times.