Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can someone explain to me what exactly an emo person is? i

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Oct 3, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Can someone explain to me what exactly an emo person is?

Hi guys. I've always heard the term, but I'm still confused on who exactly "emo" people are. I was pretty much told their sort of like goths/conformists, really like music, and act like they're going to commit suicide so they can get attention, but that's just what I was told and it could be something completely different. So could someone help me out here. It's just a cool freshman friend on my soccer team, who seems really cool and not "weird" in any way, is always referred to as emo. So, any help here?

Thanks again guys

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

wikipedia does a horrible job writing on emo since the pages are constantly vandalised.

http://www.fourfa.com/
    this is pretty basic but should give you a pretty sense of what it is.

3. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

As far as the stereotype goes, emo = crying in your frappucino at the Starbucks cafe.

/wrists

4. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

emo = bebeh people!!!! they are not MEN

assuming we're talking about a man... woman emo = the **** nobody gives.

5. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

It is indeed one of those loosely defined things... I did know this one guy who dresses in "the" style. He sorta redeemed himself by blowing stuff up :thumbsup:

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

so it's like some kind of new fangled mid-80s Robert Smith wannabe clan of Tim Burton fans?

nobody has ever really described it to me, and everytime I try to figure it out I keep thinking of the late 80s and figure I must be wrong

7. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr IncGamers Member

"Emo" is short for Emotional. It's the backdrop of everything a stereotypical EmoKid does. Basically, every action they take and every response they have is that which results int he most drama. For instance, it wouldn't be dramatic to tell your friends you listen to Hootie and the Blowfish or Eve6...so instead they listen to music like "adam's song" and "save your scissors." Most every song in their repertoir has a backdrop of depression...either you can't find a girl, nice guys finish last, the ocean makes you cry, or some other junk like that.

Again, to step outside of the realm of music, many people deal with a situation like going away to college with your girlfriend. A normal response would be either to lach onto her completely, separate yourself completely, or screw up, cheat, and attempt to reconcile. Dramatic, right? Not nearly enough, if you're Emo. An EmoKid might talk for 13 hours to his girlfriend about how he loves her and can't imagine leaving her, then says that he feels like he has to explore his options. Subsequently, he'll write poetry to some girl in his Japanese class, and throw it in the face of his girlfriend to make her jealous. Then when she says they can never be together again because he's an ***, he says he hates college and is going to drop out.

It's all about drama.

The clothes make it confusing. There is a fashion associated with emo. It does boarder on gothica, in that it focuses on the color black, but it is most definitely separate from it accessorizes this in an attempt to be as different as possible.

What's confusing is that now, there's a whole other fashion movement called "scene," which is almost exactly like emo, with a heightened attempt to draw attention to yourself. Where an emokid would get spacers in his ear and spike his dyed-black hair up really big, a "scene" junkie would wear leg warmers with a cardigan, while piercing countless parts of his body. The difference is really just a quesiton of degree.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

We have these threads every few months or so, maybe they should be stickied.

Don't confuse Emo and Goth unless you want to get punched by angry Goths. Although one could maybe think of Emo as an outgrowth of Goth.

Emos don't have the style of Goths, and they're more whiny. Some people mistakenly identify as Goth when they're actually Emo, that's some of the confusion.

Hair that goes over the eyes is a dead giveaway. Be careful of the painted nails and eyeliner though, since that is also done by Goths (although they do their makeup properly whereas Emos just lazily slap some on).

Not so much Tim Burton, maybe if Tim Burton's makeup people got REALLY lazy and everyone was wearing street clothes with their makeup instead of costumes. Tim Burton-esque costumes would tend to indicate Goth.

9. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

it's the same damn thing

screw you goth kids, you know it

10. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

"I'm an emo kid, non-comforming as can be, you can be non-comforming too if you look just like me." :rolleyes:

Emo was a subgenre of hardcore but that died out in the late 80's. These days it's essentially rebranded pop-rock to make it appeal more to the kids that get offended by the word "pop".

11. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

Mind you, Tim Burton is very popular among emo kids, especially girls. As is stuff like Emily the Strange and Lenore.

12. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Not about Emos but did not want to make a new topic just for this but...

Do any of you guys know what a 'Chav' is? And how would you describe them?

(I know, but friends in the US who don't get very confused when I try to explain - hoping for pointers)

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Goth girls are hawt.

Yeah, I imagine Goths and Emos like a lot of the same things.

14. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

....and easy.

Probably has something to do with the low self-esteem.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Certainly a compelling recommendation.

16. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

@Talga & dondrei: You also have to take into account that they'd be complaining about life all the time and you'd have to put up with their horribly crappy poetry, vampirism.

Meh, the cons greatly outweigh the pros there.

17. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

Urbandictionary.com has a good description, and pics, of 'chav'.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The poetry and complaining is more an Emo thing, and vampirism ain't so bad...

19. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

www.urbandictionary.com is your best friend as far as chavs/neds are concerned :laugh:

Mike

edit: pwned = posting from work when you actually need to do something and not refreshing before you hit reply buton is not a good idea

20. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Goths don't do poetry and complain? News to me.