Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can somebody pls verify if this scam/hack method actually exists or if it's a myth?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by raffster, Jun 2, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Can somebody pls verify if this scam/hack method actually exists or if it's a myth?

Started playing again a week ago and will be trading soon. I remember back in the eras of 1.08 and 1.09 there were hacks that allowed scammers to "steal" stuff by simply initiating a trade screen. That, once you show your items to the scammer-hacker, something happens where you are booted off bnet and when you come back all your stuff (from your inventory, not stash) is gone. While I have never personally experienced that really scary scam, my understanding is that could only happen after you download something that the scammer asks you to download. But I'm not sure if this type of scam actually ever existed or if it were just a myth.

I remember in a duel game long ago when this guy would initiate a trade screen and as soon as you hit OK, you get bumped out of the game. I know for a fact that I have never downloaded anything that someone asks me to download in bnet.

Also, what are the most recent scamming methods that I should be aware of. I think I'm more experienced now not to fall for the old switcharoos (Get a green shako with an emerald instead of a real Harlequin Crest...) but it would be nice to know if there are any new really innovative scamming methods.

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

3. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

First of all, the hacks you mentioned never existed.

Now the only item-stealing hacks I know of, are if someone asks you to download a program, and you run it all of your items will drop and you'll be booted out of the game, and get a realm down. So just don't DL anything anyone asks you to.

The most 'common' scam would be the item swap. Such as trading for an Archon enigma and your tradee 'has no room' so he swaps it with a cracked mage plate, or something of that sort.

Generally easy to find out, just keep your mouse on the item.

Also, NEVER drop anything on the ground, ever ever ever not even if the person claims he'll give you free items if you show 'trust' it's just a big pile of bullsh-t on a platter.

And alot of people try multi-person scams. Such as, a guy claims he will give you frees for trust, another person (or more) in the game will drop the items, and the guy will pick them up, then give them back, and then ask you to do the same thing, and steal your item(s).

Generally all the scams are lame and easy to see through.

4. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Thanks Aragorn and In Flames. Always better safe than sorry.

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

IN_FLAMES, this is your last warning, bypass the wordfilter again and you get a three day vacation.

6. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

If people are allowed to say it in the shield and southpark durig primetime television, I'm not sure why you cannot say it here. I think you should be a little nicer when it comes to informing people that they broke rules. Some of us are much older than you, no offense. I know if a young kid in RL said anything like that to me, he would be in some deep trouble.

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Uh... Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

8. marshaldwm2

marshaldwm2 IncGamers Member

9. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

This is a private site, they can have whatever rules they want on here.
    So if you have a problem with it, then leave, plenty of other D2 forums around.
    And this isn't about age. What, a 70 year-old commits a murder, then the jury has to all be over 70 to find him guilty? I don't think so.

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Because this a public site, and we have visitors of all ages. So we set a standard. Age matters not.

11. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

You can say BS on television, but you can't say it on a Diablo II forum...

12. DeMeVeR

DeMeVeR IncGamers Member

you must consider the fact that a lot of work and effort is put into a forum like this
    there must be rules to prevent chaos and to protect its members (especially younger ones ) , and by becoming a member u accepted those rules (remember when u signed in and clicked "I have read, and agree to abide by the Diabloii.Net rules." ?)

13. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Do you really think TV is an example ? I don't think so... And I'm also certain that everyone of us can live without the BS word :lol: !

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Yes. But this isn't television. Any further questions ? :rolleyes:

Where I live, far more abusive words don't get censored on TV.

Your posting looks like asking for getting banned. Didn't you read Aragorn's previous posting ?

15. Naitti

Naitti IncGamers Member

Seems to me that they don't even try to understand the fact that this is TRULY a private site, and there are certain rules that you must follow to earn your right to be here.

In my opinion both should get a 3 day vacation, so they would have time to read the rules properly through. The rules aren't THAT long, you know..

Cheers, Naitti

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

it would be a friendlier place if you weren't always putting everyone on the defensive Aragorn

17. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

Great! Now kids had one less webpage that could potentially teach them how to swear! Not like they couldn't learn it from their parent, while peeking thou the master room keyhole.

18. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

He was neither friendly nor unfriendly and that's just how it should be IMO. I guess it sucks quite badly to write the same again and again 1-3 times a day, so a good way not to get unfriendly without going insane is not to put any emotions in a reply and that's just what he did.

BTW, demanding a certain behaviour from a mod in public isn't a good idea at all. A PM can say more than 1000 words posted in a thread ;)

19. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Maybe, but repeating the same things several times each day is probably something that would put anybody on the nerves sometimes, right ;) ?

EDIT : Lol krischan, again I should have read your answer before posting... :lol:

20. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

I don't think there is a nicer way of saying "This is your last warning, do it again and you will be banned"

Anyway, the issue here is not about what the forums allow or do not allow. The members of this forum do not have a right to change it. If you are unhappy, PM Elly or any other Admin.

The rules state clearly that you should not bypass the word filter, and the rules should stay that way.

Does it make a difference in the greater scheme of things?

Heard of the story about the kid throwing starfish back into the sea?