Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can some off the heavy math guys help me outstack some cold damage with my barb?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by semisonic9, Apr 3, 2005.

1. semisonic9

semisonic9 IncGamers Member

Can some off the heavy math guys help me outstack some cold damage with my barb?

Hey guys. My BvA barb has plenty of stacked res against elements, but the pierce on the cold sorcs is bugging me. Very wussy orbers or aa blizz can usually get me in 2-3 blizz or a crapload of orbs...

With Wiz, Umed Arreats, 1 ravens, grief, enigma, 20 res all anni...I usually throw on a 29 maras and am supposed to land a 33 metalgrid tomorrow for mal...what else can I do? 2xUmed wiz will still give me OW, but some of em are ES or block, and that will take forever.

Pumping more in Nat Res seems like a low return way to go for me...

Some breakdowns:

+75 from wiz
    +45 Umed arreats
    +29 maras / 33 metalgrid
    +20 res anni
    +15 from res all scs
    +52% res all from nat. res at this gear setup
    and 20% asorb from ravens. Seems pretty peaked, anything else I can do without sacrificing attack power or fcr? I haven't tried the 2xUmed wiz thing agaisnt skilled duelers, don't predict lots of success....

It's not a huge problem except for the very good ones...Zach15 has a ~1500 damage orber I couldn't go better than 1/3 against, though I was lacking some gear.

2. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

use 2x um'ed wizzys, yes OW will do the job if you do it right.

2x fcr rings with high cold resist (39+)
    this lets u use dungos for the life boost and fhr

40+ cold resist boots

if they sorc is bm or u dont care, down like 10-20 thawing pots before duel.

cold sorc is gd if u do all that ontop of ur other gear (prolly even without the thawing pots, you need like around 350 stacked resit basically).

3. semisonic9

Hmm...this is for tomorrow, so it needs to be something easily attainable. I'v ebeen having trouble trading for charms, fcr rings would take weeks.

Which is better, the +79% cold res from SS or the +75 res from wiz? I have gloves that are for zons, but give an extra +30% cold res, and a GC with 11% gold res on another char.

How do the resits calculate, and are +% better or worse than +# bonuses? Does the sorcs cold penetration affect them differently?

Is there a calculator or someting?

4. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

you'll have to use thawing pots then.
    wizzy>ss
    you'll hit more, more fcr, and 25% ow; mana can help

if you cant completely stack em, get like 20-30 resist after their mastery then throw on a raven or two depending on what kinda duel it is.

% works like this. if somoen does 10 pvp dmg and you put on 20% absorb, absorbs 20% and then uses it to heal you; effectively reducing the dmg by 40% ( so its 10 x (1-.4)). straigth dmg just takes out the # and not a %.

5. PlasmaDragon

PlasmaDragon IncGamers Member

Silence zerker works too if you don't wanna lose too much physical damage.

6. dth

dth Banned

why not 2 ravens for 40% absorb, which means he's only dealing 20% dmg, unless your sticking to 1 absorb item rule.

7. PlasmaDragon

PlasmaDragon IncGamers Member

because of how absorbs works it won't heal you on the first hit and you'll likely die in 1 hit. even if you manage to survive it you won't be able to survive another with only 20% of your life left.

8. semisonic9

Yeah, this is also for a toruney, i will not be BM abrosbing her.

Thanks for the help.

9. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

well stacking up cold resist lets me take like 9+ hits, while 2x ravens means 4-5 hits.

10. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Level 30 Blizzard with MAX synergies: 4480 - 4716 Damage
    Level 30 Cold Mastery: - 165% Enemy resistance

If you have 250% Cold Resistence (roughly adding up the numbers you have given) and you play in Hell,

250 - 100 (Hell Penalty) = 150
    150 - 165 = -15

You have -15% to cold resistance.

Say you have 20% absorb, and lets round the blizzard damage number down to 4400. (All numbers will be rounded down for simplicity.)

4400 * 1.15 (Resistance) * 1/6 (PvP Penalty) = 843
    843 * 0.8 = 674.
    843 * 0.2 = 168.

You will first take 674 damage, then gain 168 life, giving a net life loss of 506. (Since damage is taken first, you will be dead with 674 life.)

This is of course assuming that the opponent's Blizzard and Cold Mastery skill is only at 30, and also that the opponent is not using any Rainbow Facets.

(There might be an error in there somewhere, please correct me if I am wrong.)

11. Neuroff

Neuroff IncGamers Member

Their blizz will be doing WAY more than 4.4k..

12. semisonic9

Well....pvp cold sorcs I'm going to have a hard time with are going to have at least +8 all skills and 10 skillers...so lvl 38 blizz with ful synergies, then fathom bonuses etc. would stack up rather quickly.

Mainly interested in how the barbs resists develop. How does the %res from the skills apply? I have a BvA with all major skills done except leap if I wanted it. I could get a level 18 leap by lvl 90, or I could pump my nat res up from lvl 7 to lvl 17, or some combo of the two. Wearing a BP enigma, doing shout and all that was probably a mistake, so I'm definately ignoring Iron Skin.

13. dumbpig

dumbpig Banned

if your in a pubby wear 2 ravens and you'll be fine dont stand around in blizz too long, cause u need both axes as well as regular resists and dr

if priv duel, 2 wizsdpikes and lots of thaw pot drinking pretty much takes care of it

but usually i just use raven frosts for priv duel anyway since everyone knows wiz spike setup = not even a point to dueling sorcs

14. semisonic9

YEah...given that it's still only 40% res with the two pieces, and barbs use em for AR, I think raven's should not be BM. But since they are I look for other ways around it.

15. dumbpig

dumbpig Banned

naw its only these forum guys who call it BM. Dying in 3 or 4 hits while wear ravens is only fair... if you stacked resist you could take around 20 hits.