Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

can pindle drop anything good?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by dogs best friend, May 8, 2005.

1. dogs best friend

dogs best friend IncGamers Member

can pindle drop anything good?

I've heard hell pindle drops just about anything but i've mfed him about 35 times (328% mf) and he's only dropped 1 unique goblin toes. He always just drops 2 rare items its so annoying can he actualy drop good items or am i wasting my time?

2. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

He could drop any item in the game, however, the problem with him is that his drop rates are rather low for elite gears and the unique possibilities are even lower. Most people do hundreds, perhaps thousands of runs before they find something good.

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Incorrect info all over your post, Grobyc. There are 3 uniques and a item set pindle can't drop. In addition comes the annihilus, perfect gems, "junk" items, and any quest items.

Pindles drop rates are just as good as any other ActV super unique that can drop TC87 items.

Judging after only 35ish runs is rather quick, I wouldn't expect Mang Song's Lessons or Death's Web in that short time.

A reason pindle seems to drop 2 rares every drop is a he can drop all the base items, out of which not all can be uniques. This is especially true for elite items.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Pindle can drop any unique except Arachnid Mesh, Azurewrath and Tyrael's Might. He can drop any set item. Exceptions: Cow set and the Annihilus.

5. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

I thought that was rather obvious.

krischan: He can't drop Arachnid, Azurewrath, and Tyrael's? D2data says different and it doesn't make much sense that Hell Mephisto could drop something that Pindle cannot.

6. dogs best friend

Thanks for the info, since pindle takes like 10 seconds I'll just kill him at the begining of my mf games maybe I'll find something good.

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

krischan got it right, those are the items Pindle can't drop

Don't expect to get anything good from Pindle if you do only 35 runs. You need to do thousands of them, IIRC on average you have to do 13,5k runs for 50% chance of getting Windforce. Of course, by then you have already found many other good items. Basically he is like 2 random bosses in Pits or some other lvl 85 area

8. krischan

D2Data is outdated with respect to that.

Pindle can drop from any treasure class, but his monster level is just 86 and the mentioned items have a qlvl of 87. Meph can drop just up to TC 78 (so he can't drop Tal's armor, for example), but his monster level is 87. Arachnid Mesh and Azurewrath are from lower TCs, so he can drop them. He can't drop Tyrael's Might (TC 87, qlvl 87).

9. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

So who could drop Tyrael's Might?

10. krischan

Any boss or champion in L85 areas, any boss in L84 areas (includes Durance 3 BTW - except Meph :lol: ), Baal and a couple of act 5 super-uniques. There is a list of the area levels somewhere in the stickies.

You can check this with the drop calculator of ATMA, found at atma.diabloii.net. BTW, it was developed by Hakai_No_Tenshi, a forum member with help from several other forum members, like RTB and Thrugg... no offense to those who I might have forgotten to mention ;)

11. Angel_Dusted

Angel_Dusted IncGamers Member

I suppose that this won't help much but...
    12 runs - Corpsemourn, Eaglehorn
    22 runs - Paladin Combat Grand Charm with 23 life :thumbsup:
    15 runs - 5/5 Cold Facet

Incidently, while running him I did some Mephisto runs afterwards...Oculus and Azurewrath. 198 HoZ from Andy, and all this just to prevent realm downs.
    So yeah, after a period of time he does pay off :p

12. dogs best friend

So getting a windforce from pindle is close to impossible you would have to have no life at all to do 13,5k runs :eek: !

13. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Getting a WF from any monster is highly unlikely, same with a lot of items... so killing off pindle a lot of times really is the best way to complete "the grail" for us who have no life, provided we have the things he can't drop. Else, it's baal and pits.

And btw, I'm SP and have had days I've done close to 1k runs in a row. One such time was when I thought it would take me two hours to get to lvl93 and due to a miscalculation it took twelve....

14. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

People for some reason get confused with Pindle being some sort of incredible dropper ... and he is ... if you run him enough.

That's the whole thing. You can run Pindle over and over and over again. You can run him many, many times in place of a single Baal kill. His level of quality drops isn't bad neither but the real beauty is the quantity of kills over time that will enable you to get those elite drops.

If you take a look at ATMA and check the drop calc you'll see that Pindle's chances of dropping a Death's Web/Windforce/etc is pretty bad ... but you can make it up somewhat by killing him enough.

Killing Pindle 35 times and expecting something good is like buying a lotto ticket once in awhile and complaining that you haven't won the 10 million grand prize yet.

WTF?! Where's my money!!!??? :lol:

Having said all this i've found many top-end items from Pindle.

IKSCx4, CoA ....

15. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

This ladder season Pindle has dropped me Death's Web and Griffon Eye :p Most times however he drops thrash and he is even cheeky dropping blue spiderweb sashes to insult me that i'm never gonna get arach's from him lol I soo wanna self found WF hehe. Also the level leading to Nihaltak is nicely populated and the bottomest one is lvl 84 i think and if you do not want the Pindle red portal to close just don't kill Nihaltak :D Oh ya those Travincaal council members i find great for rares hunting and one of them dropped a SS too! High resists for merc very impt as w/o it he'd be toast but i mf with my bone/summon necro and he has massive support platoon from skellies, golem, revives and my spear/spirit :p

p.s If all monsters are hosts then Pindle is the best as he offers nice drops and free minions in his garden :p

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The drop calc was done by Hakai and Thrugg, I just helped with other random bits of information and beta-testing.

17. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Some numbers: (this is statistics forum isn't it?)
    odds to get Frostwind (TC84) with 500 MF:
    Pindle - 1:14004
    Baal (P3) - 1:1112
    lvl 85 random Boss - 1:19253

It's probaly better to run Baal (Baal run - 5 minutes, Pindle run - 25 seconds) considering his minions can drop something good too. But Baal don't drop as much from TC87.
    odds to get Windforce (TC87) with 500MF:
    Pindle - 1:19426
    Baal (P3) - 1:9675
    lvl 85 random Boss - 1:38658

So you can see Pindle is the better source for TC87 than Baal. Other good sources are lvl85 bosses, so don't skip them on your WSK runs!
    Note: The best source for TC75 and lower is Mephisto obviously.

But Pindle really drops bad when you count only 30 runs. From my experience you will get only 1 unique per 30 runs.
    When I do 300 runs in a row (2 hours) he give me around 2-4 elite uniques and some sets.

18. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

I was just reading this post when I decided I'd go do a few pindleruns. This is the result of my second run :clap:

Btw. I ALWAYS kill the zombies in the garden, over the past couple of years they have dropped a few stormshields, Tal armors , vex, ist, ohm, countless other mid to high-end uniques/sets.

19. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I think the key to avoiding frustration with MF runs is to mix it up. I prefer to do Pits, Flayers, Shenk and that other guy, Pindle, and the occasional Baal run following an XP run if I'm getting tired of hardly seeing any shinies at all. Running Supers over and over again is bound to get a bit dull. I'm hoping to get Enigma soon so I can start doing boss runs with a beast summoner who I'm hoping will be safer from taking damage as he TPs through areas due to the horde of minions going with him. Dang nice find with that Ohm rune BTW. I just got a SoJ on Normal Baal last night while rushing a character. :thumbsup: