Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can I gamble nagas?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by marcello, May 29, 2008.

1. marcello

marcello Banned

Can I gamble nagas?

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, but I didn't find any searching.

My question is pretty simple. Can I gamble nagas?

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Can I gamble nagas?

I honestly don't know. If it is possible, you would need to be a high enough level to at least see them regularly in the shops. At that point they cost so much I don't spend that amount of gold on them. You could try with boneshields though. Those might be worth it if they are bone or grim. Then at least you can test if you can gamble exceptional items without actually wasting large amounts of gold(Though that is the very definition of gambling :) )

3. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

In LoD its like 10% chance to gamble an expceptional type of the item you're gambling and %chance to gamble an elite... No idea of classic^

4. marcello

marcello Banned

Thx for the headsup boys. If CC doesn't know, I bet anyone does :wink3: I'll try once being in the 6x/7x region, boneshields are nice though. Every metalitem costs so damn much :undecided:

5. WarlockCC

I'm certain Orphan or RTB knows.
    Since it's the same engine as LoD, I'm guessing that 10% applies, though I'm not sure how that factors in the player's level, because I think that also affects it.
    Naturally, in Classic you have a zero % chance to gamble Elite. :)

6. multifaros

multifaros IncGamers Member

What item is best to gamble, if you're just looking for any item worth something? I always gamble amus and rings, only. Someone told me I should :)

7. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

u could also find non-magical nagas from monster drops and than imbue them with highest char possible (~at least like 67?, better at 85+).....

see gamble and imbue guide threads on here

its very easy to rush imbue quest, all u need is to make game with new cahracter. get or have a character rush to smith room. send tp for u. u get quest item. than go to charsi and imbue. this is very fast. so u got unlimited imbuing. just need a bunch of items to imbue:D

unfortunately the imbue's will be poor cuz u not high level for good mods. if u want better mods u gonna have to exp rush your character. this is NOT fast.

or u jsut kill monsters and act bosses for drops or leech them from games and hope u get a godly rare (naga) drop.

8. marcello

marcello Banned

Imbue quest has a rlvl of 8. Which makes it a pain in the ***.

9. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

In LOD the odds of an item upgrading to exception is not set in stone, but rather it's dependent on the items ilvl and the items qlvl. Specifically: MAX(0, (Ilvl-Qlvl)*0.9+1).

I don't have the classic data files on me at the moment but for LOD the qlvl of a naga is 48, so assuming it's the same then you'll need an ilvl 48 in order to have a 1% chance of an upgrade. Remember that gambling results in an item with an ilvl of between -5 and +4, so for the item ilvl to always be 48 or greater then the clvl of the gambler will need to be 53.

If you gamble with say a clvl 75 character then you have at least a 20% chance of upgrading to exceptional (if you get an item with clvl -5) or at most a 28% chance (if you get an item with a clvl + 4).

Also remember that you'll only ever see the base item in the gamble screen. You won't know if it's an exceptional item until you actually purchase it.

10. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

I seriously doubt it...

I remember that years ago I tried to gamble for exceptional items, after hearing that they had been added to LoD gambling screens. Well, I never got any, and have never heard of any in classic. Did 1.10 change things, since so many LoD changes were applied to classic at that time? People gamble mostly ammys, rings and boneshields, belts... never weapons. It would be news to me...

If you were able to gamble naga's, then the old rule of thumb -10%- is useful. But, you would get 10% rares, then about 10% of those would be exceptional (naga's), and then only 10% of those would be any good, that's about 1 in a 1000, and would cost around 60M gold. It seems to cost around 200M gold to get a +2/priz, although you will probably end up with a zon one, like I always do...

11. Lestumpette

Lestumpette IncGamers Member

In all my years of playing I never knew about this. Does this mean it is possible to get an Executioner sword by gambling on Great Swords ? or lances from pikes etc ?

12. Fearlessone

Get real...

If those percentages presented a few paragraphs back are right, then go right ahead, u should have a respectable chance of gambling a cruddy exec. But you're in for a lot of wasted gold... methinks. Better to try popping corpses with bo stix. I got a 206 exec with good mods, and a 260 marty. If you trav, then pop and clean up on all the gold and gamble ammys/rings or any item where high damage/defense isn't important.

If you could really gamble exceptional items, then a hoard of people would have answered "yes, indeed" to the thread poster. They didn't, and this should tell you something..

13. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

Get fake...

Yes, it is possible, but far unlikely. I've done it before and realized it was a huge waste of time, since about one in fifteen was exceptional.

That with the chance of gambling a rare at one in ten and the awful chance of getting a great rare as it is, I chose to gamble on amulets instead. About two or three +2 class skill amulets per inventory-full.

14. WarlockCC

That is actually Fearlessone's point. If it was financially viable, more people would be doing it and they would be able to answer the question positively by the dozens.

If I may ask, what level where you to get that rough(ballpark figure) average of 1/15 ? I might just gamble some bone/grim shields or helms if I have a char high enough.

15. deichsela

Can I gamble awesome?

Yeah, I guess I didn't really state that I was agreeing with him, but I meant to while adding in my own experience.

*shrug* I tried gambling for a certain exceptional about a year ago, so I don't remember what level or character I used (sorry).

16. Fearlessone

real vs. fake

This Urban Legend just won't go away until someone proves it one way or another, using lots and lots of gold. And who wants to waste that much gold? Well, if someone wants to make a wager.... then maybe it would be worth it. Maybe something has changed over the years in Classic gambling.

If you asked me or alot of other long time Classic players: "Can you pop good exceptional weapons and armors?" the answer is "Hell yes!" I've even gotten goldskin on the first day I went full steam popping. Now popping wasn't worth it years ago. You could get socketed items and armors that were worth selling for gold, and that was about it, no rares and no uniques. They changed popping around 1.09. Surprisingly, few barbs ever did it for the first year, and then only rarely. They kept what they found secret, so others wouldn't catch on and compete with them. Also, they were looked at as leechers and weren't partied by some. Popping only really became popular a few years ago. Maybe one day more than just a few barbs will find out about the wonders of the warcry skill ...

I'm going to have to try gambling (again) and see if its changed. I used to gamble lots of soj's back in 1.03. You can still gamble set items, and even uniques although the latter is very rare. I've gambled untold hundreds of millions of gold on amulets in the past 3 years, and gotten exactly one unique one, and about 6-8 set amulets.

17. Fearlessone

Lod vs. Classic, real vs. fake...Put your $$ where your mouth is..

Wanna bet?

Well, I just gambled 4M gold in nonladder and ladder Classic with lvl 89 and 98 chars. I chose a variety of items, including bone shields, bone helms, boots, heavy boots, spiked shields, war axes, and plated belts. There was a total of about 60 items gambled for. 60 out of 60 were non-exceptional, and there were about 6-8 normal rares.

One of the rares were boots, with 37/39 cold/lightning res and 20% mf! Resistance-wise, thats about the best I have gotten on boots this year, with maybe one other exception. I gambled about 10 War Axes, and got one rare, but gave up on trying to get a Naga and stuck with items that were usable. Why gamble all that gold away on exec's, ornates, and naga's that will never appear?

I find it hard to believe that you can gamble 1/15 (7%) exceptionals. I'm going to continue to gamble, till I reach about 100 items and can safely say that the chance of getting an exceptional is between 0-5%. Maybe my high levels were beyond a successful gamble in Classic, that's why I encourage someone between lvl 53 and 75 or so to try this also.

I don't trust other people's faded memories! If any of you are so sure that you can gamble 10% or 7% or 20% or 28% exceptionals at lvls 85-99 in Classic, plz give me your millions worth of gold and let me do it with my chars. If I get more than 5% exceptionals, I will keep the glory items(to show off), and triple your gold back!!! What a deal!!!
    ---signed, Fearlessone (fine print: limit first 3 contenders, max 6M gold offered per person, USWest, offer expires at reset, less than 5% exceptionals=lose gold, u can indeed be present and all items will be dropped on ground for your evaluation)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  18. deichsela

Put your -dome- where your -cape- is..

Cool. Maybe I got tired of gambling and tried shopping at Charsi and Gheed for the specific exceptional item.
    v:)v

19. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

I always gamble boots and shields, until i reach level 86 to gamble amulets. And if i dont come across deacent boots i sometimes gamble those with 90+ chars aswell. No exeptional for me as far as i can remember.