Can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program?

Arewyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program?

Didn't know any other place to put this, but can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program? I currently have one called like McAfee but it is in French and I read Englililsh... Can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program for free that I can download? Thanks in advance.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Both of these are fine products. Some will say that one works better than the other but when all is said and done, they both have their strong points.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/

or

http://www.norton.com/

I should add that there are no free virus scan pgms out there that I would trust but you can rest assured that money spent on virus protection is money well spent.

While you can dl the software from either of the above sites, I recommend you go to a store and purchase the product. This will insure that, should you loose a hard drive or whatever, you will always have the software at the ready to re-install without undue problems.

Freet said:
He asked for virus protection, not spyware protection.

No more spiked prune juice for you young man. :rolleyes:
Most people kinda lump them all into one group. 'sides you're the only one here that has prune juice.

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
Arewyn said:
Didn't know any other place to put this, but can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program? I currently have one called like McAfee but it is in French and I read Englililsh... Can anyone recommend a Virus Protection Program for free that I can download? Thanks in advance.
You can get AVG Free edition from http://grisoft.com Its free and easy to use. Also, the programs that Spazed suggested will help with Spyware and its ill affects (effects?).

~Kazama Fury~

Diabloii.Net Member
I also vouch for Avg.

I really dont see whats so special with Norton (besides the *cool* tools). I remember reading an article (though it is known to not believe everything you read...) about anti virus softwares. They all have the same virus definitions. Its not like one software has more viruses to take care of in their database than the other.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Trend Micro. I just got rid of a virus that my 50 dollar mcaffe didn't even detect. Spybot didn't detect it..neither did AdAware.

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Most people kinda lump them all into one group. 'sides you're the only one here that has prune juice.
I hate you guys for reminding me of a lunch break that consisted of 1 liter prune juice and 2 large slices pizza with extra cheese. The whole afternoon I was s*****g at work.

I wouldn't trust free anti-viruses for the life of me. The best protection is always something you pay for.

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
raffster said:
I wouldn't trust free anti-viruses for the life of me. The best protection is always something you pay for.
Wrong. I have found AVG to be better than Norton and McAfee, finding stuff that either of them couldnt, all fully updated, as well as being able to remove it. Norton wont remove 1/2 the crap it finds, just tells you its there, tries to remove it and fails.

I have been running AVG for over a year, and I can honestly say that I wouldnt pay for another subscription to Norton or McAfee again.

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
Fallen_62 said:
Wrong. I have found AVG to be better than Norton and McAfee, finding stuff that either of them couldnt, all fully updated, as well as being able to remove it. Norton wont remove 1/2 the crap it finds, just tells you its there, tries to remove it and fails.

I have been running AVG for over a year, and I can honestly say that I wouldnt pay for another subscription to Norton or McAfee again.
This is great info. I'll check this out. In my experience Norton finds and kills 99% of anything it finds...provided you're virus defs are updated. But if you say AVG kills the 1% that Norton can't well, makes it better in my book.

I hope it has a corporate edition...

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
raffster said:
This is great info. I'll check this out. In my experience Norton finds and kills 99% of anything it finds...provided you're virus defs are updated. But if you say AVG kills the 1% that Norton can't well, makes it better in my book.

I hope it has a corporate edition...
I believe it does... I know there are several editions above the Free one, I am just not quite sure what they are.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
Freet said:
I should add that there are no free virus scan pgms out there that I would trust but you can rest assured that money spent on virus protection is money well spent.
A penny saved is a penny earned, and AVG Antivirus is easily as user-friendly as Symantec or MacaFEE, plus in my experience, it is just as reliable if not more.

Freet said:
While you can dl the software from either of the above sites, I recommend you go to a store and purchase the product. This will insure that, should you loose a hard drive or whatever, you will always have the software at the ready to re-install without undue problems.
I know for a fact that Macafee allows you to download the software anytime as long as you hold a subscription. I suspect that Norton has a similar service.

Yavanna

Diabloii.Net Member
Norton is the enemy...

I suggest McAfee, but get the ABSOLUTE LATEST VERSION. Check their website and see if they'll have a new version out soon. It's amazing how soon they stop updating it - I bought 7.1 shortly after version 8.x was released, tried to update it at the website within a week, and was told that they weren't updating 7.x anymore.

Yavanna said:
Norton is the enemy...

I suggest McAfee, but get the ABSOLUTE LATEST VERSION. Check their website and see if they'll have a new version out soon. It's amazing how soon they stop updating it - I bought 7.1 shortly after version 8.x was released, tried to update it at the website within a week, and was told that they weren't updating 7.x anymore.
Which is bogus, if you have a subscription you should be getting the updates.

I would just like to add that Virex for OS X is evil for many many reasons and should never be touched, even by a Windows box.

neophase

Banned
OUCH HURTING responses SO FAR!!! This is HURTING!!!

Norton and Mcafee, reality, they Really STINK!

I'm a certified computer technician with about 10 years experience... the old days of MSDOS and windows 3.11, 386 and 486... even have an XT lol.

anyways, I've had many, tones, of clients who had mcafee and norton and were totally exposed through the backdoors of these programs, so I highly recommend you Stay away from mcafee And norton at all costs.

AVG is decent, it's free, it'll do the job, most of my clients have this, at it's the best freeware one out there.

FSecure is pretty good, I've heard good things about it.

The best - Trendmicro PC cillin!!! This is #1, will never be passable and is where absolute security lies.

------------------------------------

AV only protects you 50%, the other 50% is firewall.

------------------------------------

Best firewall - router

Optional - Advanced Zonealarm, learn it well.
I hear blackice is pretty good too.... learn about ports, opening/closing, the whole shazaam.