Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can Amazon, Druid, Barb with basic items solo Hell 1.10? i

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by OblivionLord, Jun 25, 2005.

1. OblivionLord

OblivionLord IncGamers Member

Can Amazon, Druid, Barb with basic items solo Hell 1.10?

When I say not item dependant, I'm talking about near basic equipment as well as equipment you can socket with the easiest jewels/runes available.

I dont plan on doing mf runs a thousand times which is why I'm asking. I have played all characters except the Amazon, Barb and Druid. The Hammerdin seemed about the best out of all the characters I've played that can hold his own with basic items. Problem is that this build is extreamly borring for my taste. The Necro, Assasin, Sorc, when using basic items, just couldn't solo Hell... at least for me unless it's been done which I haven't heard of anyone who has yet.

Are either of the other 3 characters able to solo Hell with basic items?

2. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

There's another thread on the page on viable untwinked HC characters - in it I've provided a draft of my guide on character builds. It will answer your questions, I guess.

The Wind Druid is less sensitive to equipment than most Druid builds, but Zons, Barbs and Druids don't tend to have "Easy-Untwinked " character builds. The lightning Fury 'Zon is almost certainly your best bet - but her Merc will need good equipment and you'll some way to kill LIs .

3. TalkingDonkey

TalkingDonkey IncGamers Member

Huh? All characters can beat hell untwinked. I've done it multiple times. It requires some strategy, but it can be done. You don't have to do a billion runs, strategy is important, and also finding the right balance of magic find is important too. Carrying around extra magic find while questing helps me a lot playing untwinked. You tend to find enough items to get you by.

4. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

The problem with some untwinked build is that you need a decent weapon to do damage. But you can usually get around that.

Zon: I'd use LF as mentioned, plus max Cold Arrow and max Freezing Arrow. Then you have another skill that doesn't depend on weapon damage. Further points could be well spent in Valk.

Druid: lots of options. Fire druid is very do-able (I took one from start to Guardian in < 10 days). Wind Druid is another great option. A summoner/hunter would probably do fine untwinked too.

Barb: tougher. Pretty much everything but a Singer needs base weapon damage to do well, and a singer probably isn't the best untwinked build. However, you could pick a main attack skill (Frenzy, Concentration, or Whirlwind) and max that and Battle Orders first. By that time you should have enough time to find a somewhat decent weapon and pick a mastery.

I'd like to touch on other classes too:

Necro: Skellymancer is EASILY the least item dependent build in the game. You could probably beat the game without wearing any gear at all, with some caution and skill.

Sorc: another very good choice for untwinked play. Much of her damage comes from skills rather than gear (although good +skills can put damage over the top).

Sin: you're probably in right in saying this is a tougher untwinked class. But definitely possible. Lightning trapper is probably the best choice.

5. OblivionLord

When I had all my characters at highest lightning resistant with a good portion of life.. they all died very fast on Hell in the last area with the spirit things that shoot chain lightning. 1 shot brings any of those 3 characters down 75% life even with max resistant. When you get a whole lot of them bunched up all shooting at once then its like instant death.

I tried the SkelyMancer but, the skells are just worthless in Hell even with the Mastery maxed. Only way I can see the Skellymancer with basic armor/weapons beat Hell is in the 1.10 beta but, I tried it soo many ways in the finnal and it just doesn't work for me.

Revives were the only ones that could stand a chance in Hell but, they have a time limit and your forever trying to find creatures to revive when you can't beat a certain bunch.

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

try the skellymancer again and read this guide to them
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=509

7. lasagnaman

lasagnaman IncGamers Member

it is true that the gloam-types in hell do pretty high damage (iirc it is bugged and deals pretty huge damage) and not many will survive a concentrated blast. however, i must comment on your observation that skellimancers cannot solo hell with basic equipment. though i have not gotten my skellimancer to hell, many others on this forum have, including (i forget who) someone who took a naked necromancer (ned, was it?) all the way through hell. skeletons are definitely a viable strategy in LoD 1.10 final. make sure you are making good use of corpse explosion and have a might merc to boost your skeletons' damage. they *should* be doing enough to kill even on /p8 if you are patient enough, and most definitely on /p1.

8. seige

seige IncGamers Member

Not all the way through Hell Lasagnaman, although I wish :D I have another one going atm that is just about to kill NM Diablo. Fishymancers are viable in hell. As it has been said, you just have to be patient.
    patb explained it nicely, go and have a look at Nighfish's guide. Even if you don't follow it, it may give you some helpful hints.
    Gloams are a real pain as any SPF'er will attest too. They are bugged and do cause lots of damage. I've found that even the 1 point I have in attract and dim vision helps with them. If you use attract and they are about they will concentrate their attack elsewhere giving you some time to move away or use CE.
    Don't give up on your fishy, there a fun build to play :)

- Jas :howdy:

9. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

**Hands up** I have done naked (no weapon too) full clean HC, to end of A1 Hell (only couldn't kill andy for some reason), and after that all with basic gears he found on the way. He made guardian easy.

My opinion is skelly can stand very well by their own, revives are only good to provide extra "meat shield", they can't kill nothing because of their super IQ, and low damage (only very few revives can damage something).

Are you not using CE with your skellymancer? That's the only reason I could think of, if you don't use CE then this build is much harder to play.

I also don't agree assassin can't solo. I have done melee sin (PS sin), with all basic gears (untwinked, no MF runs), they are doable, just a little slow. Your main "problem" is slow killing speed, but she is very safe build than other melee (uber crowd controll skills, only necro can beat sin on this). If you build a trapper (easier/more powerfull than melee), there is no reason why she cannot beat hell.

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

@P1, it is a blast if you have half decent gears, almost nothing can stand on your way.

11. OblivionLord

Does everyone agree with Lightning Fury Zon for basic items?

BTW... who started the "twink" word in refrence to characters using or not using godly items etc etc? The definition is in no relation according to dictionary.com. Maybe it's the word "tweak" that people are refering about but, everyone is spelling it as twink and even if it was tweak then that would go for all characters unless they did not alter them at all from the start by using any items, spell/stat points etc etc.

12. lasagnaman

lasagnaman IncGamers Member

not necessarily godly items, the term "twink" simply means to have a character use items which were not self found, i.e. items found on another character muled over to the current character through use of ATMA. this can range from as "godly" as full trang's set or full IK set to something as simply as a +3 firebolt +2 warmth staff most of my sorc characters use upon starting out. or amulets of the bat. or cathan's seals (imho, the BEST ring for low lvl melee characters).

and yes, LF javazon can beat the game easily using sub-par gear, she only needs something to throw. i.e. cracked javelins found in act 1 norm. LI's become somewhat of a challenge, but in /p1 and with patience a decent lvl valk and a merc w/ a decent weapon (perhaps strength or honor runeword) should be able to handle most situations. if not then get a bow and some points in FA.

13. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Not to be rude, but it's just you.

All three of these have good builds which are relatively easy to take through hell untwinked. My best suggestion is to read the guides with an eye towards what skills instead of items to use.

My top reccomendations for each class untwinked solo would be:
    Amazon: Lightining Fury/Freezing arrow hybrid (max valkyrie important)
    Assassin: Lightning Trapper, with fireblast support (shadow master as second tank)
    Barbarian: Concentrate Barb, (this does take more work, because he does require a decent weapon, but crafts, runewords and rerolls give lots of chances)
    Druid: Fire/Summoner Hybrid, read AE's guide. Not fast, but safe and steady
    Necromancer: Fishymancer, handsdown easiest way to get a guardian
    Paladin: Hammerdin for killing power, Vengeance for simplicity of use
    Sorceress: Meteorb sorc.

Good Luck, if you're still having trouble then post what you are stuck on and I'm sure lots of people will be able to help.

14. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t know who started it, but isn´t the term derived from Cinderella, where the little faerie (Twinkletoes was her name, right?) provided Cinderella with some nice iTAmz: carriage, dress and her famous glass shoes.

EDIT: Nope that was the fairy godmother. Nice try anyway...

15. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

from answers.com's page on mmorpgs:

Twinking is a term in the MMORPG community [that] refers to outfitting a new character or player with items or other resources that are not normally available at that characters level. The term derives from early MUSH slang, where it was insult given to a player implying that they lacked skill in role-playing or in social graces.
    presumably, given it's origins as an insult, and 'twink's previous use as a derogotory term for a homosexual, the intent was to denegrate a player who needed extra help via high(er)-level equipment by equating him with a "twink" (i.e. fairie, homo, etc) following the bigoted view that homosexuals are weak. How it came to alter from a derogotory noun ("He's such a twink") to a non-insulting verb ("I twinked this character") is not clear.

16. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

oh, and as a more on-topic comment - any reasonable build can solo hell, just don't always expect to be fast or to do it a P8. Soloing hell with an untwinked character at anything higher than P3 is simply an unrealistic expectation for all but a few very powerful builds. The game simply wasn't designed for every character to have an easy time in Hell.