Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can a WW druid beat a smiter?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by PressAltAndF4, Mar 2, 2004.

1. PressAltAndF4

PressAltAndF4 IncGamers Member

Can a WW druid beat a smiter?

I have a fury/rabies hybrid ww druid, and i cannot seem to beat most good smiters. Is there somw secret i don't know about. Rabies can work in hell, but nm/norm it's hopless.

Any tips on gear? Would 4 fps help for this? and does anyone know how fast smite is?

2. Strid

Strid IncGamers Member

Uhm, the only tip I can think of, is that Smithe is unblockable, so use a range 5 weapon. 4 FPA would probably not be a bad idea for Shift-Fury and Hit-and-run tactics. Try to out range the Smither.

I think Smithe is 5 or 6 FPA.

Good luck!! :)

3. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Max smite is 6fpa and a max of range 3(if he is using some sort of rosebranded 2 socketed flail), so yes, a good range 5+faster weapon should help a long way, also because it is ITD+unblockable, so the only way would be to outrange+out speed him... if you have a nice lvl of rabies dmg + a switch of 6 poison facet weapon + 4 poison facet shield you could use that also...hit him fast, stand a little back, do the double switch and try to hit him a couple xtra times... don´t forget to try and pack up the open wounds if possible...

4. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

the more FHR the better IMO:

5. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

FHR is a good idea, range and speed are the kickers though. It's very doable, especially with Rabies. You only need to get one or two hits in and keep running away. Charge is a problem, though.

6. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

FHR doesn't help you at all vs. smiters - stun = you have 0 fhr. This is why in bear vs. bear duels, both take off all their fhr gear and put on more dmg and/or life gear.

the best way to beat smiters, as mentioned, is to outrange them. Get the biggest 2 handed weapon you can get that attacks at 4 fpa.

Also, smite has inherent knockback. So a real trick to beating them is to hold shift while they are smiting you. If you don't hold shift and you are attacking them, then you will be naturally "walking in" to their smite. Holding shift eliminates this problem, becuase when they knock you back then they have to advance on you, meaning that they will be in your range, but you won't be in their range. Also, if the smiter is running instead of walking, his defense and block rate will be reduced to almost nothing.

There are ways the smiter can get around this, but I am not sharing too many pro secrets with you guys. :D

7. Cantos

Cantos The Order of Dii Guild Member

What? That sounds hilariously inept ...

If you take out your big range5 BotD GPA or 7/4 GThresher or whatever, then using knockback may make your shift furying more effective. (KB gloves are easy to get) Watch out for walking defiance smiters though!

8. PressAltAndF4

A lotta tips and alot of help, thx guys, i better find a 3 sock tomb reaver though since botd out of the question for me. :)

I'm entering a melee tourney with smiters and the host says no hit and run, or to an extent. Not to the extent of running till he dies. Also it's probably gonna be nm so rabies = that much less effective.

Knockback sounds a little out there, but i'll try it in some pub duels before then.

Anyone know whether it's worth it to have lacerator on switch for amp?

9. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Hit and run requires quite alot of tactic. I can't see what's wrong with using such a strategy. It's hard enough to get a hit on a pala these days to begin with.

10. D.Rocklea

D.Rocklea IncGamers Member

fireclaws,hunger,rabies are unblockable too~~but hard to hit high def bar ,pal.

11. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Can't you stand against a surface like a wall to prevent getting knocked back from smite/charge?

12. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

just out lame the smiter... you cant out fury a smiter... but you sure as hell can out rabies one... hit him once with raibies.. then run (hence bieng lame) ... then only after hes really weakenned ... start furying away.

also... what is your gear setup? maybe its slightly off.

thnx
    stef

13. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

oh and let me add that duelling leagues curb the rules to help the classes that they like the most... its stupid.

"ANYTHING GOES IN LOVE AND WAR!"
    Sir William (Billy) Shakespeare

the whole point of rabies is bieng lame DUH... if you want to win a no retreat duelling league makea hammer pala... the enemy has to comit suiced by charging into your hammer field... ><

NOTHING IS MORE LAME THAN HAMMER PALY!
    thnx
    stef

14. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

...you can out fury a smiter if you're good. Of course it's becoming more and more apparent that you stef are very very bad. :)

15. PressAltAndF4

I recently dueled a smiter (without doom/exile) who i had seen a few times before but was unable to beat. We fought a few times, won 7/10 times with my tomb reaver :) Haven't tried knockback yet though.

16. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Standing against a wall will give you the stunlock mostly, whenever i get knocked back from smite i get a split second to escape, but when i'm down against a wall i'm usually dead....

How faster hit recovery/stun works:

Whenever 1/12th or more of your total life in a single hit is lost you go into your hit recovery animation. However when you're stunned (by mind blast, smite, shockwave etc) any damage will make you go into your hit recovery. So it's extra important to have that FHR against smiters.

17. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

smiters want you to be against a wall or a rock - it makes it easier for them because then you will always be in their range and not knockbacked out of it.

knocking them back sounds like a good idea as well, especially since YOU SHOULD BE USING A RANGE 5 WEAPON. that's the main thing, and holding shift, and never getting yourself backed into a wall.

18. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Short answer - yes
    Long answer - YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :lol:

19. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

a well made and equipped werewolf can beat ANYONE.

remember that.

20. PressAltAndF4

What do you need to beat a good barb with botd?