Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Calling Lovers of 'Sins for advice...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ravenclaw, May 5, 2005.

1. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw IncGamers Member

Calling Lovers of 'Sins for advice...

Hello fellows!

Back here aftera considerable silence...

Advice required:

Am currently playing Jean my sc assassin - untwinked and i must say this is the first time i have found some decent items ....
    We are at NM Act 2, just entered Arcane Sanctuary
    i find the going reasonable at players 4 setting.

Her stats;

Strength: 115 (including add-ons)
    Dex: 100(including add-ons)
    Vitality: 155 (i think...)
    Energy : Base + add-ons

Equipment:

Weapon: Rare Claws (+1 to Martial arts)
    Shield: Sigons Ward (+1 to all skills)
    Helm: Peasant Crown (+1 to all skills)
    Rings: 1 Manald Heal, 1 Nagelring
    Boots: Rare sharkskin boots
    Belt: Rare sharkskin belt
    Gloves: Rare sharkskin gloves

Resists:

Lightning: -9
    Cold: -1
    Fire: 54
    Poison: 33 (i think)

Merc: Rogue, using a 1 to all skills bow (Blastbark)

Skills:

dragon Tail: 23
    Phoenix Strike; 16
    Cobra Strike: 7
    Fists of Fury: 4
    Claws of Thunder; 4
    Blades of Ice: 4
    Shadow; 7

Burst of Speed; 7
    Cloak of Shadows: 4
    Claw Mastery: 4 (i think)
    Chance to Block; 3

Now the questions;

1. As is evident, my problems appear to be resists. What can i do?
    2. I want to take my Rogue merc all the way to Hell. Possible?, if so How?
    3. What's my future skill progression? i think max phoenix and then build synergies and also max the shadow warrior?
    4. What do you guys think....she's viable through Hell?

Appreciate all help!!
    Thanks.

2. Snuva

Snuva IncGamers Member

Many points to be made...

1) a few points in fade is good for resistances or trying to adjust your gear resist wise.

2) Rogue is possible, but generally the auras of act 2 mercs are found superior to non-aura mercs. Might for damage or Holy Freeze for defense are my suggestions.

3i) put some points into Tiger Strike to be used with Dragon Tail. It will greatly increase your damage.

3ii) Choose either Fade (resistances) or Burst of Speed (IAS/frw)if you haven't already. 1-5 points with some +skills should be enough.

3iii) Choose a synergy for Phoenix Strike and max it (Claws of Thunder is the most damaging I believe, but my experience in this field is limited)

3a) I think any more than 1 point in Shadow warrior are wasted. Shadow Master (SM) is concidered superior to Warrior. Put 1 point in SM to have a weak tank or aim for 17+ after +skills to have a better tank. Or you can go with your current Shadow Warrior and spend the skill points elsewhere.

3aa) No more points in Cobra Strike, the difference in leech is not that big and assassins are scarce on skill points.

4) Definitely viable. Use Cloack of Shadows and Mind Blast to help you with crowd control, 1 point in both skills is enough.

Dtail is based on your boots damage so keep that in mind. If possible use Wyrmidon Greaves in the end (Requires high str). Charge up 3 charges of Tiger Strike and then kick with Dragon Tail for huge damage.

EDIT: apparently you have chosen BoS already

Hope this helps,
    Snuva

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Pretty much regardless of what you do, 20 in Death Sentry will increase your killing speed in hell by quite a lot. Fear teh hybrids. :p

4. Ravenclaw

thanks for the inputs...
    i do have 3-4 points in tiger strike.....

by the way, what is the exact difference i the skills of shadow master and shadow warrior?

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

The easiest way to get resists is probably from your shield...Sigon's is a very good shield with nice blocking and +1 skills, but I think you'll benefit more from resists. The Ward, Moser's Blessed Circle, Ancient's Pledge, are all very good and relatively easy shields to come by, and will give you a huge resist boost.

I would also put a lot of points in Shadow Master, she is an excellent minion. I don't think it's necessary to max her, most people prefer to get her to lvl 17 where she gets the best equipment. If you can possibly spare some skill points, then the Death Sentry trap is an awesome skill. It will give you some much needed (massive) area of effect damage.

As Snuva said this build is definitely viable! In fact using Cloack Of shadows and Mind Blast it's almost too easy:) if you get the right gear of course.

6. Ravenclaw

...and erm....+17 to all skills?????? wtf?...i mean, how's this even possible???

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

What are you talking about?? +17 skills is possible with +1 skill tree grand charms and Shako, Vipermagi etc...If you're talking about getting Shadow Master to lvl 17 then you have to invest some actual points in her...like put 14 points and then have +3 skills.

8. Snuva

Snuva IncGamers Member

Let's take an example. You have 10 skill points invested in Shadow Master and you have total of +7 shadow discipline skills from your equipment. Now you got yourself a skill level 17 shadow master, the one we are talking about.

Main difference between master and warrior: Shadow Master will use every assassin skills more or less randomly. Shadow Warrior will only use the skills that you got selected in your left and right mouse button.

Snuva

9. Ravenclaw

hmmm....ouch!
    when i think of some grand charms in NM i didn't bother to identify......!!
    any famous areas where one finds such charms??

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

No more tiger strike then, you have to choose which way to go, PS or DS/TD? You can't have both. since you already heavily invested in PS, you should stick with it.

You said you have 7 points in shadow, is it SW or SM?

SW copy what ever the skill you use (but no where near as effective as youself), SM has her own mind and can use all skills (apart form shadow), regardless you can skill your own or not.

SM is also better geared, and stronger. In general, SM is much better.

If you wanted a "powerful" build, you are already too late (better start over, too many "wasted" points). If you just play for fun, then do what ever you feel like. Remember, almost everything is possible, we have people here beat the game with seriousely underpowered build (eg. Travis - the winner of Zod tourny).

11. Day

Day IncGamers Member

As Sunva says, I think +17 ment be able to cast at level 17 or better taking into account the actual real points you have in the skill and those added by items!

Its possible to shop for claws with plus to shadow skills (up to plus 3). Two plus 3 claws on switch gives you 6 towards your target of 17 or better.

Beauty of this is with some time spent shopping you will be able to get these untwinked. I found it took me about 20 mins per claw (once you are at the right level). Can somone else help with what level you need to be able to shop for a plus 1, plus 2 and plus 3 claws?

12. Ravenclaw

too late.....!!!!???? :confused:
    but maybe i could begin pushing the shadow master even now...
    the 7 points in shadow warrior are 3 base + 4 addons....

and yes, when does one begin to get serios damage claws?...mine currently do only 15-46 base....

13. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

I'm not convinced the Shadow Master description isn't just a myth.
    After having observed a series of 1.09 Shadow Masters strutting their stuff, I've concluded they only use the "top" skill of each category - but this is a very vague description. Pretty inaccurate, too :confused:.
    So, I'll list the skills I've seen Shadow Masters use and the ones they don't:

Blades of Ice (never Fists of Fire or Claws of Thunder)
    Cobra Strike (never Tiger Strike or Phoenix Strike)
    Dragon Flight (no other finishing moves)

Burst of Speed, Fade, Venom
    Cloak of Shadows, Mind Blast (never Psychic Hammer)

Lightning Sentry (never Shock Web, Charged Bolt Sentry or Death Sentry)
    Wake of Inferno (never Fire Blast or Wake of Fire)
    Blade Shield & Blade Fury (never Blade Sentinel)

Maybe my copy of 1.09 is bad? Do they use more skills in 1.10?

14. Snuva

Snuva IncGamers Member

Just today in 1.10 I've seen in addition to your list:
    Fist of Fire or Phoenix strike, that burning area came from somewhere
    Tiger Strike, Charged Bolt Sentry, Shock Web, Fire Blast, Wake of Fire

I think I have seen Claws of Thunder too, maybe even Death Sentry.

I don't recall seing Dtalon or Dtail.

Snuva

15. DeathMaster

It is too late for a well planned, max effeciency build. eg. the many points in cobra strike, you can have few better&powerful use of those points, depending on which way you are going.

From your existing spending, you are trying to build a PS sin, however, you have too many points in pre-req/utility only skills. Yet, you didn't have one of the most usefull utility/killing skill - Death Sentry. One point (plus 4 pre-req) there, you have a mass killing skill in hell @P1 (most likely you will play @P1).

A well planned PS build can dish a lot more damage and stay safer.

a well planned TS/DT build can deal massive amount of damage (but limited to physical/fire).

But, play a everyday build is less fun, something unusual is always better.

16. DeathMaster

I don't recall Dtalon, but I saw Dtail. But TS/DT would be really rare. We all know the great D2 AI.

17. Ravenclaw

looks like i'll just have to examine Death Sentry and try pushing shadow master....

btw....my level (54) ok at the stage i'm at???? or should i spend more time leveling up in act 2 desert areas?

18. DeathMaster

If you want to switch merc, then you might need to stay there for awhile, otherwise, move on. You can run NM meph for better gears.

19. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Immediate help for your resists: use a shield with 3 sockets (preferably with high block) and insert any jewels/runes you need for your resists. Or make an Ancient's Pledge shield runeword.

You should be able to shop for +3 MA/+3 shadow claws at lvl 65 (not sure here)

20. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Even a L1 ShadowMaster > L3ShadowWarrior after +plus skills, not only in gear, but defense and resists. Aim for at least L11ShadowMaster after +skills, but I would recommend L17+ after +skills for Hell.

My L37 HC Phoenix Assassin compared a large selection of rare claws and found the best to be a 35-88base she uses now at a fast 7frames, but it's not a claw. It's a dagger, Spineripper (unique exceptional), which also has ITD, 8%LL, and PMH. My last HC Assassin used Aldur's Mace (set exceptional) for many parts in Nightmare, although a good claw was used sometimes too. Both these can drop in Nightmare as well as good non-claw rares. You don't need to limit yourself to claws while waiting for that Bartucs or perfect claw to drop, a good rare non-claw with high IAS may drop too. Just use the weapon speed calculator to see if the weapon is worthy for you. If you have your heart set on a good claw, then gambling for one may bring you something.