Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Calling All Zon Geeks! (Not an Insult!)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by slick4hire, Feb 4, 2004.

1. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

Calling All Zon Geeks! (Not an Insult!)

I think, after reading all the threads about what bow does what, that it is time for somone with a whole lot more time than I have (and a lot more knowledge as well!) to compile a bow comparison thread/guide which would list strengths and weaknesses as well as what builds could optimize them. It should include the following bows, both standard and upgraded:

Kuko
    Lycanders
    Witchwild
    Goldstrike
    Buriza
    Eaglehorn
    Windforce
    Any I Missed

I know bowazons aren't so sexy to the masses anymore as they have been nerfed pretty hard with the new patch, but I am sure there are some die-hards out there who have this knowlege.

Thanx!!

2. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The cookie cutter multi zon has been nerfed, however, the side builds, frostmaiden, strafenzon, and hybreds etc have actually become imo, more powerful and versatile.

Furthermore, it is much easier to answer peoples questions about 1-2 bows in a build rather than listing all these, as there are so many builds, with so many sub builds in each that there could be pages upon pages describing which bows are good for what.

3. Firey_chasm

Firey_chasm Banned

I am not what you might call an expert at ama's but thins is what I like for my ama she uses lvl 20 guided arrow and lvl 10 multi and she can solo anywhere in the game evene with 8 ppl in the game without much trouble.

I use wf(40/15ias) as my prefferd bow with Hellrack to deal with physical immunes.
    But every bow has a disadvantage for instance upgraded buri has a str req of 163 (139 with hel I think) But i will do my best to grade the bows for a guided arrow/multi ama(presume that they are all upgraded as far as they will go)

windforce(very powerful, reasonable fast, can reach speed 8 with ease)

cruel matriarchal bow of eviction(I cant remeber the prefix for the rare mod with stupid %ed but basically a rare matriarchal bow with about 400%ed 20%ias and some other nice mods)(I think why this is here is self explanatory(fast and high damage))

Witchwild(very very versatile with its two sockets and has resists, generaly a good well balanced bow.

Buri(high damage but quite slow and v high str req.)

goldstike(very very fast for more than alright damage)(very good damage against undead and deamons)

Now we are down to the dregs hehe

lycanders has some good mods except the damage aint as pleasing as it could be more than good enough for soloing hell though

eagle(personally I hate this bow I didnt even like it when it was supposedly good in the last patch)

then at the bottem of the list I am putting kuko although I have never used the upped version of the bow I dont think would like it, but each to there own

What should be pointed out here though is that this is my preference, this suits my playing style and everyone plays differently

4. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Kirsty should flog you for the statement about kuko...

If we are simply going by a multi zon build, which is no longer the most effective build...

Kuko- Great bow for its price, cheap, elemental, and can be good upgraded. Overall grade. B-
    Lycanders- Good bow because of its stat, most underrated bow there is. Can be very viable as a end game bow. B+
    Witchwild- Versatile bow, but lacks in the killing power. B+
    Goldstrike- Overall, a good questing bow, but it lacks the killing power in some areas due to the ed to demons etc not always being helpful. B-
    Buriza- The most overated bow there is. Simply, its slow as hell. B+
    Eaglehorn- With the proper gear, this bow can basically beat every unique bow in killing power other than WF. A-
    Windforce- Yes, its overated, but you still cant beat it. A
    Rare cruel bow with amp damage etc... A+

BOTD- A waste of the rune for putting in a bow. C-

5. Mehemnoc

Mehemnoc IncGamers Member

No doubt about the kuko statement. Of course it's only my humble opinion, but I disagree with your grade for BOTD. Yes, the runes are rare/expensive, but if a player can afford/find them and wants to make the build, the bow should be rated on its potential relative to the other bows listed. And I know from experience the damage isn't inferior to all those bows you gave higher marks to. Yes, I've wasted precious resources on my BOTD hydra bow, but I play the way I choose to, and I prefer the bow (so far) to anything else I've tried. The mods are outrageous, the speed is excellent, and I just plain get a kick out of the 50% chance for poison explosion. So when comparing it for damage/mods, I would give it an A+. If we were rating on cost or wretched excess of resources, then, yes, maybe a C-.

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Ya, I was rating it on the the wasting of resources :)

I know its a good bow, but I really dont think its worth the runes when you could put it in a ethreal zerker axe :)

Damage wise, and mod wise, it can hold close to or exceed wf, but it cost way more.

I guess the way I look at it is that for the cost of a WF vs BOTD, you get basically the same bow once the mods and damage average out, except the BOTD cost more. It is an eccentric players build, and if your rich, is a good bow, but to all others, is a waste of money for the improvement, if any, over WF.

7. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

Overall runeword wise I would give the following rating, which is influenced by rune cost, effective damage/speed/AR increase, interesting saftey mods and extras such as leech, other skills and strength/dexterity requirements for the "optimal" bows they can be made in.

Hand of Justice > Call to Arms > Passion > Breath of the Dying > Silence > Melody > Zephyr

That's just me though. The bow from the list that I most likely would use is Passion. Dead-cheap and good on safety measures as well as dishing out good damage at a nice speed.

Oh yes, Kuko is still one of the best bows I can think of, but that is because I am and have always been a great fan of the fire tree as well as versatility for early builds. It brings immolation arrow in for non-fire builds and raises it to a useful damaging level. Fire builds rise to the top when they reach the point when they can wear it. The exploding arrow damage it gives is also impressive due to the extra fire damage on the bow itself and both immolation arrow and exploding arrow benefit from its bonus piercing. Later on it is less impressive for non-fire builds, but still good when they run into undesired immunities such as physical and cold). The physical damage is good enough in normal and nightmare to leech with and if you are experienced enough in build compensation and setup you can also make it work in hell. Not many other people that I know see the same value of it.

8. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

I second that. It's my favourite on weapon switch for my spearazon builds, but rather useless against fire+phys immunes (frenzy lords in ancients way for example).

9. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

Does anyone use Call to arms on switch? Are the warcries worth it?