Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Calling All Science Based Students/Professionals

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kitteh, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I currently write (so far it has been a very steep learning curve, but has been the point...) articles for a science and science news website , ScienceNutshell.

Beware the plug!

I am always looking for people who have a story to tell, a message to get across or a piece of work that they are proud of in any area of science. At this current time I am looking to begin a new series putting different science based jobs into picture frames, I want to delve into what the jobs are, who gets them and why they are important - among other things. I know that I am not the only science based student or professional on this forum (stares at Jcakes and Pharphis, where is BPC?!), and I would love to hear from any of you who feel that your position is one which people would be interested in learning more about.

I write these articles voluntarily and there is no payment, so I'm afraid there is no pay for your time :p

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

I was a neuropsychologist myself, so I'll gladly take a look at your articles every now and then :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  3. Kitteh

Sorry, my bad lol. I mean that I am looking for people within scientific areas to 'case study' to highlight different job areas :)

4. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

my bad too, i spelled "neuropsychologist" wrong, lol.

5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I'm just a boring grad student, sorry. Nothing special or interesting about my position :p
    Same with BPC

6. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

I have a good and bad news for you. The good news is I'm a physician in the field of internal medicine. The bad news is I'm a physicist so I don't have time for myself not just for writing. But I'll subscribe if you have RSS. :)

7. Kitteh

That is where you are wrong nerdizzle! Graduate students (especially PhD) are very much of interest :D

8. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Member

It's soulsuckingggg

9. BipolarChemist

When going into graduate school, or at least considering it, think about what your end goal is. Why do you want a Masters/PHD? What kind of job do you actually want from this? Is that job actually attainable?

Always remember that the end goal of your education is finding a path for your future, whether it be job or not.

I'm doing my Masters of Chemistry right now, but my main goal is to teach. I am not a fan of the research side of things, so I'm actually stepping back and reevaluating right now. I believe it to be better to get a Masters of Education that focuses on a higher lever of learning and utilize that degree so that I can teach at a college level. This degree will also give me a bit more leeway in moving around the world, as I plan to move to Australia after getting my degree!

10. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

@BipolarChemist An Australian perspective on chemistry/science teaching. After working as a lab tech in a secondary school recently I came to the realisation that secondary science teaching is a soul destroying experience. To work in vocational education would require you to gain a further education qualification, even if you have a masters of education, and there is sweet bugger all jobs out there. This only leaves the higher ed sector where it is very competitive, VERY under-resourced and you would be doing research anyway. Besides, I'm the TAFE chemistry teacher around here. Don't tread on my turf!!

11. BipolarChemist

I have a bit of a different situation with my planned move, as the program gets me to do a practicum in a college overseas on a scholarship. History has shown the schools that accept students from my school are willing to sponsor for a visa and give work post graduation (and by history I mean, they hire out from every year, especially with science backgrounds in lab instructor spots and general chem).

But none-the-less, it's about planning what you want to do with a degree. In my case, I'm kinda using the degree/program to get me into a job I want directly. Plus, there are scholarships everywhere. Talk to profs at the school if you wanna travel for a program if it suits you, talk to profs to see what kind of research you could be doing, basically talk to profs about everything!

SunsetVista likes this.