Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Calling all Hunters

Discussion in 'Druid' started by zquist, Mar 15, 2004.

1. zquist

zquist IncGamers Member

Calling all Hunters

Started a hunter on ladder a couple days ago. Plan on maxing dire wolves, bear, and HoW. Right now ive got 10 in spirit wolves and 5 in raven. My question is will it be better to max spirit wolves and raven, or should I dump the pts into cyclone armor. I plan on using Kuko/Wws and a merc with reapers tool, to deal with PI's. The reason, I plan on maxing raven is because of the passive resistances it gives to wolves and bears. I think it what around 5% per lvl, and does anyone know if it is capped? Also, buffing wolves or bear...is it possible/viable. Any other probs that experienced hunters are running into... Thanks in advance

2. FenrisWulf

FenrisWulf IncGamers Member

@zquist:
    Ravens do not give a passive bonus to your Summons' Resists; that was just a misconception caused by a run-on sentence on the Arreat Summit. Your Summons' Resists are based on how many points you invest in that Summon's skill, ie, your Grizzly gets +5% Resists for each point you invest in Summon Grizzly, your Dire Wolves get +5% Resists for each point you invest in Summon Dire Wolf. If my sources are correct, the Resist cap is 85%.

One nice thing about Ravens is that their Chance to Blind and number of hits increases per points, but then again, their Chance to Blind increases as you level up, too, so you don't necessarily need to max 'em.

Just a clarification, not sure if I can really give any other advice. My Hunter, as imported from 1.09, functions perfectly well, and he has dual maxed Spirits, so I think that anywhere you place those extra points will work fine (though I wouldn't suggest maxing two Spirits; I don't switch back and forth too often :)).

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

I'd say ~10 in Spirit Wolves and ~10 in Ravens, or up to level 16 with +skills. As has been said before, level 16 Ravens have 100% Chance to Blind monsters of equal level to your character, so that's a good one to aim for.

And Fenris, thanks for clearing that up, if you're correct. That one baffled me. :thumbsup:

4. Strid

Strid IncGamers Member

Are you sure about this? I just ran through the MPQ files, and I couldn't see that any spirits did have resistances that scaled with their slvl.
    What are your sources, FenrisWaffle?? I was looking in skills.txt - don't know if there are better places to look for that info, but I might have overlooked something. :)

EDIT: Just looked into monstats.txt, I think it was... didn't find anything there either.:scratch:

5. grey_wolf_bg

grey_wolf_bg IncGamers Member

Hi
    I have allmost the same hunter build
    20 Dire wolf
    20 HoW
    20 Grlizzli

I'm now 70 level and I got 10 unused skillpoints and more to come. I was wondering where to put these points - I want some elemental skills - probably Hurricane+tornado or Fissure+Fire storm

Here is the calculations
    Torando 10 = 449 to 494 Physical Damage
    Hurricane 20 = 477 to 527 Cold Damage

OR
    Fire storm 10 = 334 to 388 Fire Damage Per Second
    Fissure 20 = 587 to 611 Fire Damage

The Fissure has more damage and i could cast it safe from behind my minions
    Hurricane have less damage but is cold damage and slows enemies, but I have to go closer to battle and may get hurt .
    Witch to choose ???

6. Strid

Strid IncGamers Member

Hi! From my experience with hunters, the ranged skills are much much better than the close ranged skills. I would definitely go with Fissure or Volcano as an elemental backup skill for my hunter.

7. FenrisWulf

FenrisWulf IncGamers Member

@Strid:
    Well, aside from the clarified update to the Arreat Summit indicating that Summons have Resists that scale per level:

...I've also been hanging out at the Lurker Lounge and Amazon Basin a lot, as I often do, and adeyke (the guy who's been doing most of the corrections for the Arreat Summit; see the "Site Credit" page) has said multiple times that Summons get resists, at +5% per level. Now, as for the 85% cap, that's what it is for Valkyries, but I'm not sure where I've seen that the same holds for Druid Summons. Maybe I'm making it up. :scratch:

@grey_wolf_bg:
    I greatly prefer Volcano/Fissure, for exactly the reasons that you listed. Why was Hurricane good, again? For the chill that lasts a fraction of a second? Hm. :cheesy: