Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Calling all Dragoons

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ROMVS, Feb 4, 2004.

1. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Calling all Dragoons

Hey, any Dragoons out there willing to make a nice guide? I can help test and stuff but I don't have the necessary experience with them. For those who don't know, Dragoons are throwing pallys. They use anything but a bow or xbow.

2. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

38 views and still no responses.... I guess I'll have to figure it out on my own, sigh. Rags, you have any info on dragoons like ias tables and such and what works? If not, I guess I'll have fun trying to make a good one and post my results later.

3. Any1

Any1 Banned

I had a Dragoon in 1.09D using cruel Stygian Pilums and Winged Harpoons. I have no experience in 1.10 with a Dragoon. Although, it seems there are a lot of sexy equipment choices right now. If I remember correctly the biggest problem was AR.

One options is to make a combination elemental and physical damage dragoon, using Conviction on the first weapon tab combined with:

Demon's Arch (Unique Balrog Spear)
    Throw Damage: (104-124) To (161-192) (132.5-158 Avg)
    One-Hand Damage: (85-102) To (163-195) (124-148.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 68
    Required Strength: 127
    Required Dexterity: 95
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    Max Stack (80)
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 232-323 Fire Damage
    Adds 23-333 Lightning Damage
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    6-12% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
    Replenishes Quantity [1 in 3 sec.]

or

Gimmershred (Unique Flying Axe)
    Throw Damage: (39-46) To (171-204) (105-125 Avg)
    One-Hand Damage: (44-52) To (169-201) (106.5-126.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 70
    Required Strength: **
    Required Dexterity: 108
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    Max Stack: (240)
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 218-483 Fire Damage
    Adds 29-501 Lightning Damage
    Adds 176-397 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    Increased Stack Size [60]
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

The second weapon tab uses Fanaticsm and the highest damage elite Javelin or throwing knife/axe. Ethereal with replenish quantity on a rare/unique would be ideal. Pierce is always nice to have on projectile weapons (i.e Razortail, Warshrike the unique Winged Knife, etc.). The usual modifiers such as Crushing Blow (both for elemental and physical attacks) and Deadly strike are always welcome.

Conviction: 20
    Fanaticism: 20
    Holy Shield: 20
    Defiance: 20 (synergy only)
    Blessed Aim: Rest (passive AR, if needed)

I'd go for Might merc for even more physical damage and LL. Although a Defiance merc is nice as well.

This is only off the top of my head. Only real experience can prove whether a build is feasible.

4. DaySpring

DaySpring IncGamers Member

When 1.10 first came out I started a ranger to ladder run on the HC ladder, around level 30 I switched over to a dragoon.
    I made it to mid 70s and to act 5 hell.

I agree with Any1 that the biggest problem was AR, I guess thats not so bad now that Blessed aim adds passive ar bonuses, but could still be a problems.
    I was lucky enough to find a rare flying axe with the weird mod (ar based on level) around level 70 it gave me 1300~ ar, and it had 40% faster attack, damage wasn't great, but I used holy shock so that axe was the stuff.

I chose to go with axes and not spears for the bigger stacks, and I like the way axes looked when thrown, also i got a lot of "amazon wanna be" flames from using a throwing spear... :cool:

You'll run into the problem with immunes just like everyone else, I went shock, and was shelling out 50-2500 damage, so everything that wasn't lightning immune went down, the thought of fanat crossed my mind - Speed/AR, but i couldn't deal enough damage, or deal it fast enough with pure physical damage on a thrown weapon to kill stuff(however maybe a Gimmershred would help that?).
    Items with a chance for crit strike/crushing blow are totally your best friends, and speed of course. I had a little life steal, but that wasn't really a big deal for me, i ended with like 900 life at lvl 70 and with res that was plenty for me to sit back and throw things at mobs.

I think it would be smart to get smite, that way if you go elemental you have something to kill immunes, and it also gives you something that works a little better on bosses, and allows you to mix it up a little.

Smite, Holy Shield, Blessed Aim, Holy Shock, resist lighting(synergie) then all the prereqs, and one or more points into salvation.
    seems very doable, question on something i'm not too sure of - would smite do enough damage to kill anything without a damage dealing aura to help out?

Any1's idea for the combo seems really good!
    questionable if that would be enough elemental damage?

5. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

I found an etheral lacerator which does awesome damage. AR though is still a problem.

6. C-Beat

C-Beat IncGamers Member

I've been thinking of some kind of pvp pally using gimmershred and smite. An alma negra and 2 ravenfrost should give enough ar to hit most chars that doesnt aim for high defence. Perhaps a Smite/charge build with gimmershred on switch would work. Fanatism would be the aura to use for all 3 attacks. Dunno how effective if would be though. Axes would be a good surprise attack for necros, sins and other characters with low def, while smite+charge would be able to kill high def chars.

C-Beat

7. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Thanks guys for the input. I have 300 ed cruel flying axe and a rare 345 ed flying axe waiting for me in the wings. I have heard that axes fly faster in the air than javs but have a shorter range. As for the AR, I've been trying angelic ammy and 2 angelic rings, the boost on my lvl 70+barb is like +1,600 attack rating. Also, there is the availability of a visionary helm just like that % boost attack rating mod that DaySpring mentioned. I will probably go smite/charge as suggested for high def targets but I still want to take out casters with my throwing weapons. I'll try to get an ethereal lacerator as it looks very attractive I must say, I already have a normal lacerator and a normal glimmer.

Wouldn't conviction be a better aura for glimmer, not only do you bring your targets def to just a few hundres, it also aids the elemental damage from the glimmer and then maybe load up on elemental charms?