Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Call for Linux Guru

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Feb 22, 2004.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Call for Linux Guru

Ok so I am going to check out Linux......where do I start? What Distro should I get? Most importantly I can't get lose the files on my PC(family needs Windows still) so is there a way I can partition my HD without losing any of my files? I also need to know where I can get a copy of Linux I know I need to burn the disks but where do I get the image files to do that?

2. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I would recommend a distro from Slackware or Red Hat - you can download basic distributions of either for free and they both have setup routines that are user friendly.

Partitioning - Partition Magic will do it, there's also a freeware program called fips.exe that will nondestructively free up space for Linux partitions. For a family computer though, just to be on the safe side, I'd look into buying a cheap used hard drive for the Linux partitions.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Currently trying to get my external HD set up to be recognized by me PC for back up and or boot drive for it.

I will do a little search on fips.exe

4. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I use Mandrake on both of my computers, and I must say it's quite nice. It's got everything you need to just throw the CD in and install, everything from partitioning software during the install to a full software environment post install (including multiple complete Office Suite(s), several web browsers, etc). As I write this, Mandrake 9.2 is the most recent stable version, and is likely what you'll want to get. Mandrake 10 RC1 (read: Release Candidate 1) is out there as a testing version for the more adventurous, and thus isn't really suitable for everyday use yet, think of it as an advanced Beta version.

Also, as many people who first try Linux like to dual boot, it's one of the automagic options you can pick when you're installing. Depending on the layout of your hard drive, you'll get a few options to pick from, assuming you've got a typical Windows layout (1 large partition containing the C drive), you should get (at least) the following:

- Use the free space on Windows partition
    - Format entire drive/Remove Windows
    - Custom partitioning scheme

The first is what you'll likely want, unless you feel up to a custom setup, I'd recommend that you stick with the first option for now however, especially since you can go back and tweak your partitions later. A brief bit of info however, Linux (almost always) uses a separate partition for the swap file, so basically you'll have 2 partitions at minimum (one for the root directory (/) and one for swap). I like to have the /home directory (which is where all of your preferences and the like are stored) mounted from it's own partition for a few reasons, first and foremost being that you can erase the root partition and install a newer version of Mandrake (or most any Distro for that matter) and get a clean/fresh install, while still keeping all of your preferences and customizations from before. Secondly, if you ever want to have more than one Distro installed at the same time, you can have all of them share the same /home partition, thus keeping all of your things in sync between different Distros, and reducing the total amount of space required. As far as I know, the automagic "Use the free space on Windows partition" will set up /, swap, and /home partitions for you.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Thanks a ton guys. I found a place to the the ISO files so now all I have to is burn em. If only I could get this stupid External drive to be recognized by my PC....

6. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Where were you went I tried installing Mandrake on my computer few months ago!!! I lost all my pr0n because I installed Mandrake on to my slave drive.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

This is why you make DVD backups. That or you could always do what I am about to and put Linux on a external boot drive.

8. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Just make sure you install LILO to the MBR of your primary hard drive (the default option I believe), from there you can have it boot either OS without having to chain bootloaders or anything like that, which can be a little more tricky.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Thanks....I'm not going to install today....I haven't had any sleep in 3 days. I am going to the doctor to see what can be done......dear God I hope it's something good.

3days no sleep + Manky computer problems + Latin grammar = One paranoid {KOW}spazed