California sues six auto companies for global warming ifra

California sues six auto companies for global warming

Reuters said:
Calif. sues 6 carmakers in global warming suit
Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:59pm ET162

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd..

It also charges that vehicle emissions have contributed significantly to global warming and harmed the resources, infrastructure and environmental health of the most populous state in the United States.

Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide."

Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.

The lawsuit comes after California passed legislation supported by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that requires the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 25 percent by 2020. California was the first state to mandate reduction of greenhouse gases.

California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.
Source
OK, we know this is a political stunt in an election year. But do the EMOcrats really think they're going to gain political points with this act of envirowacko kookism?

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Evil Conservative Inc said:
OK, we know this is a political stunt in an election year. But do the EMOcrats really think they're going to gain political points with this act of envirowacko kookism?
It's Kalifornia....they elected Arnold....do you really expect anything rational from them?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, and it'll most likely work.

P.S. stop saying EMOcrats, get some new material.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I love how they are sueing the companies because the companies are pushing back about the new laws they passed. That's a great message they're sending.

"Don't speak up about our laws or we'll sue you into bankruptcy."

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
SaroDarksbane said:
I love how they are sueing the companies because the companies are pushing back about the new laws they passed. That's a great message they're sending.

*sigh*
If only we had a loser-pays-all-leagl-fees system.
Then again, this is being done on the taxpayer's dime anyway, so win or lose, John and Jane Q. Public get to pay for it.

SaroDarksbane said:
Fascism anybody? Isn't Californication run by EMOcrats? My other thread gets yet one more point of justification.

Talga said:
If only we had a loser-pays-all-legal-fees system.
While you're at it, let's all wish that our sexual organs were bigger than they already are. I'll take either one

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
the automakers should grow some balls and tell the hippies in california that they will no longer sell any cars in that state...let them all get to work on their skateboards.

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
ECI said:
While you're at it, let's all wish that our sexual organs were bigger than they already are. I'll take either one
I'm probably the only one who made enough connections in a thread about ridiculous litigation to find this ironic, but so it goes, so it goes.

(For the interested, I was thinking along the lines of "What good are bigger sexual organs if you cannot... utilize them?")

Besides, ECI, we all saw An Inconvenient Truth. And he's thuper-therial. That's gotta count for something.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Talga Vasternich said:
*sigh*
If only we had a loser-pays-all-leagl-fees system.
It'd be a great way to make pretty much every rapist immune from prosecution.

Fascism anybody? Isn't Californication run by EMOcrats? My other thread gets yet one more point of justification.
Yeah, that's what fascism is.

PlagueBearer

Diabloii.Net Member
Looks to me like this is a back-handed way to get precedent for Global Warming being a myth.

Look at it this way: California Republicans look all clean now; they suppored this after all! They even sue 6 of the worlds most powerful companies, putting so much money and precendent on the table that the 6 automakers simply cannot afford to settle, and cannot afford to lose.

So the 6 carmakers put insane resources into debunking global warming. I'm willing to bet that California puts wholly insufficient resources in the hands of their lawyers, and the Car Companies win. The massive case gets all kind of press, and passes into law via precedent and public opinion that Global Warming is a myth. Republicans are all like "oh well, at least we tried. Now we know it's fake. Car companies: as you were."

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Does Smeg still claim that global warming is a myth? Or has he shifted his goalposts so they line up with the rest of the Republican party - "okay, so global warming is real but it's not us that are causing it"?

chrislindsay

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the current theory is that they´re admitting it´s the case, but it would be expensive to do anything about it. So long greenland...

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Good idea but in a capitalist society, somebody else would just fill the void. Vespa comes to mind.

mmm.... Princess Vespa...
You'd have to be INSANE to ride a vespa in America.

Anyway - how hard would it be for them to just pop out of state and buy a car?

chrislindsay

Diabloii.Net Member
Some places Vespas are okay--the town I go to school in is small enough that some people manage to get around... grocery shopping must be fun, though =)

The problem with shopping out of state is that you need to maintain a current smog-check, and, with the new emission standards that CA is implementing in the next couple of years (by 2009, iirc), the car will be subject to all sorts of new fees...

Oh, and for the doubters, I live in Los Angeles most of the year, but I have no problem riding my bike to work!