Caffiene withdrawl

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Caffiene withdrawl

I am trying to cut down of my caffiene. Along with the water I drink, I have at least 2) 2-litres of diet coke a day. I was out of diet coke yesterday and didn't have the ambition to run to the store.

About 6 p.m., I got so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes open. My body is used to massive quantities of caffeine. I can drink a 2-liter and go right off to beddie.

How does one wean off of caffeine? Cold turkey won't do it, I have 2 kids to take care of and I can't do that if I am sleepy all the time. Will the sleepiness go away with time?

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
How does one wean off of caffeine? Cold turkey won't do it, I have 2 kids to take care of and I can't do that if I am sleepy all the time. Will the sleepiness go away with time?
Talk to Tim Benzedrine?? ;)

Seriously, why do you wish to wean yourself off this mild stimulant?

masterazn

Banned
I myself don't find myself addicted to anything. Try strapping yourself into something. No kidding, seriously, find a substitute. Like, everytime you want caffeine, do something else. Have a cigar.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the best way to get off of it is to slow it down. Don't go cold turkey. Instead of having 4 liters worth of diet coke a day try having about 3.5 for a couple weeks-a month. And then every subsequent month after that shave another .5 liter or so. I find that to be most effective.

masterazn

Banned
Rius666 said:
I think the best way to get off of it is to slow it down. Don't go cold turkey. Instead of having 4 liters worth of diet coke a day try having about 3.5 for a couple weeks-a month. And then every subsequent month after that shave another .5 liter or so. I find that to be most effective.

Well, I guess this would work but going at it hard is also possible. I think finding a substitute for that kick of energy is better. I heard an apple in the morning has just as much energy to wake you up as a cup of coffee...so yeah, maybe try finding something that will keep you awake that doesn't involved caffeine.

DOC

Off Topic Moderator
masterazn said:
Well, I guess this would work but going at it hard is also possible. I think finding a substitute for that kick of energy is better. I heard an apple in the morning has just as much energy to wake you up as a cup of coffee...so yeah, maybe try finding something that will keep you awake that doesn't involved caffeine.
Vitamans maybe? The healthly way to get energy. Of course if you trying to cut back on coke for the sheer unhealthy sugar nature of it, switch to caffine pills? Then again, I did post a thread about how bad they messed up my sleep life, probaly shouldn't recommend them. :)

masterazn

Banned
Well, vitamins would work but they're not cheap either, the ones that work. From a research paper I wrote a while back, info shows that vitamin caplets and pills don't really work. They don't digest well in your body and you get really little of the pill itself. So yeah, it'd have to be liquid supplement (which is rare) or the gel caplet things (which are a tad bit more expensive but on a large scale could prove a lot more expensive). But yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of exercising (it doesn't tire you, it gets you going), healthier food like salad and fruits, and sex.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
I like what master said. Instead of having a cup of coffee in the morning, diet cokes throughout the day, make yourself a fruit smoothie. natural sugars will definitely keep you going and have quite a bit of kick. Fruits such as watermelons, strawberries, bananas, apples, oranges etc. are great for keeping you going a much more healthy alternative to coke/coffee. Just make a large batch at the beginning of every week and drink a little bit of at a time throughout the days of the week.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
How does one wean off of caffeine?
How do you get your caffeine? If it is in soft drinks, I suggest either drinking bottled water or kool aid. This will give you a little sugar as well as allow you to transition withuot too much of a change in habit.

Garbad

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
How do you get your caffeine? If it is in soft drinks, I suggest either drinking bottled water or kool aid. This will give you a little sugar as well as allow you to transition withuot too much of a change in habit.

Garbad
Its from Diet Coke. I have really upped my water intake lately and have tried to cut down. Since I drink soda without sugar and calories, I would like to try to wean off using something similar.

They do have some of that tasty bottled water, but without the amount of caffeine my body is used to, I fall asleep.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Not sure what to say then :(

I read a while back tho that over time caf reduces your capacity to think without it in your system.

Garbad

Aeval

Diabloii.Net Member
I wholeheartedly agree with the fruit smoothie idea. don't stop the diet coke cold turkey, but try substituting a smoothie for a coke when you get the craving or need the energy boost. i have one just about every afternoon, and it definitely wakes me up.

or just snack on foods that give energy quickly... fruits, nuts, etc.

good luck!

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
*reads thread while sipping from a fresh cup of joe*

Stupid all-nighters. This is what you get when you put your personal life ahead of an assignment ><

Freemason

Banned
The trick is to slowly cut back. I used to drink a gallon of coffee on an average day. 3 years later I'm down to 16 oz of strong black tea and little if any soda.

To counter the lack of energy you feel, eat more fruit. Natural sugars are the best source of energy anyway. Eat a piece of fruit every 2-3 hours and you'll be fine. It doesn't even have to be a full piece. Eat half an orange, then a couple hours later eat the other half.

Don't forget honey as well. Local honey is the best. Not only is honey nothing but natural sugars but the local honey also helps with any allergies you may have. Something about your body adjusts to the plants the honey was made from. It's amazing how well it works.

Some of the problems you're also likely to encounter with caffine withdrawls are the following:
fatigue
headache
inability to concentrate

Fatigue from the loss of caffine keeping you going. Headache from the withdrawl symptoms. These headaches can be terrible, debilitating ones. The lack of concentration from the body thinking more about caffine than the task at hand.

Alleviate those symptoms with caffine in smaller and smaller doses. You will most likely never get over your caffine addiction. I haven't and I don't want to. But by controling the need for caffine you can have the best of both worlds.

Steve_Kow

Banned
Hmm, so you're drinking 128 (approximately) ounces of soda a day? Cut out one ounce a day (when you first open the bottle, spill some down the sink). It won't seem like a lot, but by the end of the week you'll be drinking a full glass less. It'll add up quickly, and I think it's just a slow enough pace to give your body time to adapt.

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
Somehow, down the sink seems like a waste to me. Although I guess I can't really come up with a better method of doing that.

Maybe just use a smaller cup. But keep it at the same number of times you fill it. Just as a first step, see how you handle it. THEN reduce the number of cups.

Steve_Kow

Banned
[exile] said:
Somehow, down the sink seems like a waste to me. Although I guess I can't really come up with a better method of doing that.

Maybe just use a smaller cup. But keep it at the same number of times you fill it. Just as a first step, see how you handle it. THEN reduce the number of cups.
I usually stock up on soda when it goes on sale, I'm usually able to get 2 liters of either coke or pepsi for under a dollar--at that rate you can afford to throw it away!

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
i feel your pain....kicking coke is as hard as dropping smokes....i still haven't been able to do it....i drink more than you and if i go even 1/2 day without, i get nasty headaches....2 days without would put me in bed with a disableing migraine....drink a case a day for over 20 years and you will spend alot of $ on a dentist too...the holes are small and easy to fill but still its a *****.....you can't tell by looking but mine are now more filling than teeth....i keep saying to myself....this is it no more and i cut back a little....but even with prescription caffeine pills the headaches are killer....coke is the devil and i'm going to hell!!

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Replace with kratom which is a good natural stimulant/depressant in one or you might consider smart drugs like piracetam. If you want more info, send me a pm.

I'm immune to caffeine, but i don't need it to stay awake.