Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

C/C Talon/Trapper idea

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ricrestoni, Mar 5, 2004.

1. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

C/C Talon/Trapper idea

I read this cool guide in the sin forum, and just need some input from those assassin players of you.

My idea:
    20 Talon
    20 Fade
    20 Lightning Sentry
    50~55% claw block
    decent shadow
    some death sentry
    maybe 1 mind blast
    rest in synergies for lightning trap

Am I forgetting something?

The idea is using a Guardian Angel, because even though I read somewhere that +% chance to block won't work with claw block, I think it is wrong. I equipped an assassin with Twitchtroe, Guardian Angel and safety ammy, and in all cases the block improved. So I will kick arses and zap em for good, while aiming for 75% block, 90% res all, 50% phys res.

So that I know, about the 1% phys res from each point in fade:

1- does it work only when active or all the time?
    2- does it gain bonus from +skills or only spent skills?

HF merc?

Also, ideas for perfect equipment are welcome!

2. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

This looks like a fun build. Assuming you have ~+10 to either all skills or sin skills. Are you going to use TS (one point) as a charge up then release your DT?

+ skills do not add to the DR ammount in fade. I do not know if the damage reduction sticks around when the fade aura is off. It's a possibility as the Pali resistance points spent boosts the max resist when it is off. So, maybe.

As for equipment I would go with dual +3 trap claws or bartucs and upgraded gore rider boots for awesome kick damage.

3. ricrestoni

I was considering also dual bartucs + upg gore riders.

About TS, no, it is purely kicking. No charges whatsoever (well, maybe 1pt Cobra Strike for leeching). Left button kicks, right button deploys traps/cast shadows.

Any chace that Venom works in the boots?

4. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

Yes, it does. :)

You might also want to go ahead and max DS as it is a synergy with LS anyway and the larger blast radius is really nice.

5. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

You might want to post that info about claw block in Assassin forum if you are ABSOLUTELY sure. AFAIK nothing but +skills improves claw block. As far as your setup, fine remember you'll need CB to make Dtalon pay off 50% range is good (upgrade Gore's, Guillaumes Face). Also I thought that +skills did help Fade, I remember reading that in Assassin forum, maybe it's in their FAQ.

6. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

Yes, the +skills do since it isn't a synergy effect. If you've got slvl 35 Fade, then you'll have 35%PDR.

7. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

That looks pretty good, and here are a couple of tips. Make sure to make liberal use of CoS. While it's annoying to get used to, not having packs of archers shooting you is very nice. That single point in Mind Blast will save you many times. I spam it all the time for some free meatshields. I also don't know if you'll be happy with the unsynergized LS damage. You might want to max DS as a synergy bonus and for some big CE to loosen up LI packs once you kill one.

Naliworld told me that the LCS (lying character screen) is wrong about +%to block items and that they don't work w/claw block. Block recovery does work, though.

Although it'd take your build in a different and slightly less common direction, you might consider using a Crescent Moon Phase Blade and some Shield--that will give you the ctc Static on kicking, which is sweet. you could also use a single point in Blade Fury if you did that (to have ctc Static on a projectile) and have some glimmershreds on switch for big elemental damage as shurikens (or whatever the blade projectiles might be rightly named). That will make it so that you don't need to put points into claw block and can instead use them to further synergize a trap. Claw block is among the absolute best skills in the game, though, so it's definitely a tradeoff.

Regardless, I would suggest a single point in Blade Fury because it's cool, although it uses AR to make to hit checks, but carries over the ITD to non-champion/unique/boss monsters AFAIK, although I could be wrong about the ITD part. It would be less useful if you didn't have to try to make max block with the sword/shield setup and pump a little dex that way.

I've made a quick build check with a certain skill point allocation calculator, and this is where I put the points (no additional claw block assuming the sword and shield are being used--switch the extra points from CBS into claw block and that will do it) :

Prereq's
    1: CM, PH, BoS, CB, SW, Fire Blast, Shock Web, Blade Sentinel
    1-point wonders:
    1: CoS, Mind Blast, Blade Fury

Synergies:
    8: Charged Bolt Sentry

Main Skills:
    20: DTalon, Lightning Sentry, Death Sentry, Fade
    11: Shadow Master

This might not be perfect, but it's close to what you initially posted.

edit: Ghengis Chuck is right. When active, Fade adds % PDR based on its total level. I am a fool and suggested a Stormshield with my alternative equipment, and something else would clearly be better. Maybe a Rhymed high %-to-block shield. Or something else. I really don't know.

8. ricrestoni

Great stuff, thanks a lot! Actually, I did some testings with another assassin of mine:

Twitchthroe and Guardian Angel (+25% and +20% to block) - didn't work, so I was plain wrong about that.

Safety crafted amulets (up to 10% to block) - weird reaction: it shows as working when I hover the mouse over the defense value. But it also changes the value directly in the skill. I never saw a piece of equipment that is not +skills changing what is written in the tree tabs.

So if it is really a display bug, maybe I should learn to live with that and forget about the 75% claw block.

I will take it all ino consideration. My first idea was really kicking almost invulnerable. But now I see new different and curious possibilities. That is what make the assassin the most versatile character in the game.

Thanks again!

9. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I have an assy built like yours

Matriarch Pheonix , Level 81(some of you may remember playing with her in IP games.. lol), Using :

Jade talon (for resists) and Bartucs
    Vipermagi
    Eye of Etlich (dont have anything better anymore... haha)
    Raven Frost
    Rare ring with lots of +mana (out of SoJ's too)
    Rare +2 tiara with mana leach and other stuff
    Crafted blood gloves qtih +2 to martial arts
    Glooms Trap
    Upgraded Gore's

Skills are:
    Max DTalon (with items, at level 30 IIRC, enough for 6 kicks whatever it is... 32?)
    Max Death Sentry
    Max Lightning Sentry
    11 into Charged bolt sentry (all points going here)
    5 SM
    1 into all Shadow skills except venom
    1 into all trap skills except blade shield
    1 in tiger strike
    1 in cobra strike

Pretty messed up, but fun =D

edit: I used BoS and not Fade, as trap laying speed is dependent on IAS, and i'm built mroe towards a trapper anyway.