Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bye Bye actors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, May 11, 2005.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Bye Bye actors

http://www.facepunchstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21286

Supposedly pictures that look only slightly worse than this can be rendered in real time(hell even if they can't movie production studios could pull it off)

Some of those pictures look pretty damn real, esp the one near the bottom of the page(last pic on there, the supersoldier is almost perfect)

If this is how all animation is going to be in a year or two, Hollywood won't need real people.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

something about this thread just makes me want to start punching you, I can't really explain it, perhaps your geekdom overwhelming practical realities? I'm not sure

I'm violent *shrug*

maybe I'm not on board for A Scanner Darkly and it's warping me

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Animated actors don't have hot, sexy, drama-filled lives in Hollywood. Tabloids and Entertainment Tonight would never allow computer animation to take over.

4. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

niftyness.

5. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

6. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Lighting is one of the most important things in making animation look realistic. Those pics look damn good, but it's still not perfect.

The other problem that I'm surprised animation companies haven't realized is that they always make things so perfect. No dirt, no creases, no wrinkles, no scratches. It's the imperfections that make things look real. You expect specific things to look flawless, but not everything.

It will be a loooooooong time before human actors are replaced. And it will only happen if people lose interest in being actors. Animation won't drive actors out of business.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I'm not that violent, but I have to say that I definitely understand, and share to some extent, how Ash feels.

8. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

What the hell am I looking at here? Are these like clay figures or something..placed into real backgrounds? I dont know...I'm not like all OMG THIS IS AWESOME for some reason. Must be I dont understand what they are actually trying to do..know what I mean?
    Tho if these are clay like figures..now thats impressive, very detailed. But other than that I dont get it..*hits self in head*
    On one of the sites it mentioned indirect-lighting. Is that what all this is supposed to be? And if so, whats thats got to do with what appears to be a small robot clay figure dropped into a street background? Like I said I dont get it?
    Explain if possible.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Thats not very impressive. Especialy considering all his human models all wear masks to he wont have to bother with any facial features.

If you judge his work you could say actors will still have jobs for the next hundred years but there are 3d model designers that are a whole lot more impressive and whos work cant be told from real pictures but then it has allways been easy when its still images. several people can paint images that look more life like than any 3d model.

10. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

It looks really cool, I agree, but as long as I've never seen one single animated face that looks real/life-like, I'm not going to worry. Not that I'm an actor, but I didn't know the appropriate word. >_>

11. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

HDR techniques can do wonders for improving the realism of rendered objects placed in a real scene, however the best of the best of human duplication is still a far cry from being indistinguishable from real. Real humans have an almost unlimited number of different motions and expressions and I doubt whether a purely animated human face could ever fool me for more than a few seconds.

The easiest and most effective way so far to make characters move and act like humans is to take a real person and copy their movements and expressions exactly. Combine that with the need for voice actors and I don't see why you wouldn't just keep the real actors and green screen all the rest in. I'm going to see Revenge of the Sith next week, a movie that should be largely a thoroughly convincing blend of human actors and CGI.

Convincing imagery is the ultimate goal of CGI and creating CG humans when real humans will do the job better is a big waste of time and money.

12. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They are 3D renders done on a computer placed into a real picture.

As for the faces, I could go dig up some pictures, I just decided to show these since they aren't extreme close ups and the fact they work fairly well in real pictures.

Ev_ I agree, everything is a perfect sphere or has no scratches or if they do it is just a skin that is supposed to look like it is scratched and not an actual groove in the model.

Johnny, I have never seen any Hyper-realistic paintings that looks as good as the best 3d models. They are damn good, but I think that is largely do to the flaws inherent in an actual drawing/painting, but 3d models can look better.

As for the still pictures being easy, what's the difference between that and a movie? Movies are really just bunches of stills shown at high speed.

14. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Darn Jar Jar Binks!!!

15. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i can't stalk those. no fair

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

17. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

George Lucas himself has said that CG characters will never replace actors. They just can't convey the wide range of emotions as well as actors/real people can.

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Good to know a crazy old man who thinks he is a real Jedi said it won't happen. Bill Gates once said no one would need more than 680K in memory for their computer either. . .

Once they get a good amount of movements recorded it will be easier to just modify them a bit for each character. You would need one set for each each race and then modify them from there.

19. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

I'll tell you what. CGI characters all have a tendancy to sorta 'float'. Like theyre in water or something. Thier movments are smooth, never as sharp as humans'. Until they find a way to change that, you can always tell when it's CGI.

I also agree with Ev_, it cant be too perfect, or it won't be realistic.

20. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I know now how Ash feels. Urge to kill rising.

And where did Lucas say he thinks he's a real jedi? Never heard that tidbit.

You seem pretty deluded if you think actors will be replaced anytime soon. Or ever.