Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BVC Pole Barb ?#!?!#!?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Sechler, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

BVC Pole Barb ?#!?!#!?

I know that the majority of pvp barb’s on this forum are convinced that grief/beast zerks is the only option for a bvc. I as well use grief/beast, BUT…..what would happen if you put an ebotdgpa on a bvc. For starters, I never use a shield except against fohers and that’s a ptopaz shield. Next, I sometimes find myself just barely missing a sorc or nec in a duel when I tele/ww them. Thirdly, desyncing hdins often come real close, but I just nick them or miss when I ww in and out of hammies. Good zerk smiters often present a challenge as ur ranges are compatible. I could go on an on about how range is a huge factor in pvp. Not to mention, tri whirls could be done at a safer distance. So why not go up to range 5 with a nearly 1k dmg wep? Of course you lose some ds and ow. Those are the two biggies, that bother me. But wouldn’t you make up for a lot of that with a huge attack radius. I could still maintain 45% open wounds with gear and 47% chance for dbl dmg.
    This is just a thought I had… any opinions? I’d really like to hear from people that have tried this and not a lot of theorizing that it wouldn’t work as good as dual zerks.

2. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

you lose the ar from the beast and +str bonus, ow too.
    now 5 range is sweet but you hit less times (hope im not wrong here)
    and about yout statement that desynchyng hammerdins are beatable by going in and out of hammer field, well if you see the hemmer field and the hammerdin there its not a desynch. there are hammerdins that desynch so much you never know where they are and these are the real ,cheap way to duel i might add, desynchers

3. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Obedience in an Eth Polearm?

Level 21 Enchant from killing a critter or two in blood moor.
    Decent Stats.
    Solid ED.
    CB.
    Resists.
    It'll break eventually, but is cheap in the meantime.

No IAS :cry:

4. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

ahh..but you gain 20 to str and vit and energy.
    Yes you'll have half as many chances to hit at same brk point, but you'd do twice the dmg when you do:thumbsup:
    nah i'm with ya on desyncing hdins, i was more referring to the method of movement in which they lay out hammers, chargin around you then back then in close and then charging back etc, etc. You really have to get your range down with a zerk to get some nice clipping on them. With a range 5 wep this should become much easier.

5. mainaman

the addition of stats dont increase your dmg much to sacrifice beast+grief
    dint forget that you need constant dmg output, as only the average dmg matters, so even with the gpa you will do less consistent dmg than grie+beast
    finally real desynchers dont play like that they get ahead of you or arrownd of you layng hammers like crazy waiting for you to just walk into them - you never see them more than 5% of the time

6. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

Not really a beast grief setup will still do more dmg over time compared to using a big 2 hander, i.e botd gpa.

Also the issues with the strength + dex requirement just to hold the 2 hander

Also my answer to most of ur problems above is get more practice, and using a res shiled is about one of the worst ideas to aquire stack vs say a foh, the best options are to use Kira helm, res boots, possible light res charms, precasted fade, as these, all give the ability to get max dmg without losing duelwield.

Also as stated vs desync u cant expect to just ww in and out fieds as for a start a desyncing pala is hard to keep up with secondly chances are its a invis hammer field.

7. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

My friend tried this out, polearm BvC. He said it was pretty cool, eheh

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Classic BvCs have this Polearm business down.:thumbsup:

9. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

I went into a game and there were 3 smiters (1 of em was v/t i think), and they just nk and tg'ed anyone that stepped outta town. A zon said brb, and returned w/ a polearm barb. She tore all three of them up several times. They couldn't get near him. This barb had fort, arreats, etc., basic bvb set up but w/ a ebotd ghost spear. I thought to myself how sick would it be to throw this into a bvc build. That's pretty much what got the wheels spinning on this one. You gotta admit, there's some huge style pts with something like this.

10. mainaman

i ve seen similar thing but the smiters in that game were not good
    and i beat that guy on my 2 axe bvc all the duels
    i doubt such abuild will be effective against good smiters

11. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Sechler, I also believe range is much more of an issue than people think. You lose like 25-30% of the damage but compensate with hitting and stunning more.

But I guess the only way to convince people is by winning on the battlefield.

12. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

I really don't see how someone could believe it's not a better set up vs. range battles when compared to greif/beast. I had a lance barb in classic 3-4 yrs ago and that sucker owned. The dmg was inconsistent w/ lances cuz of the low min, but it was crazy how you could ww by someone and past them and it seemed like you never stopped hitting them. People with high dmg Martel de firs didn't understand why they'd lose. It was purely because of range.

I wasn't trying to figure out how to start winning duels w/ this idea. I win my fair share, don't worry. It just seems like people are under the impression that you should practice more if it's not as easy as you feel it should be. Sure there's some validity to that. But, I think modifing your set up and tryin something different is also key.

13. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

I honestly think ebotd gpa would rule against casters and smiters. I have such a weapon that I use on my druid specifically against smiters and casters while grief/SS on switch vs. other melee. It may only be a matter of time before I try it out on a PvP barb... eth, hel'd GPA's have fairly low requirements so many of you already axe weilding BvC's could try it out despite having no mastery points.

14. Romper Stomper

Romper Stomper Banned

Polearms and spears are fun to look at and whatnot, but dual weilding is simply superior.

When you watch a practically identical dual axe vs polearm ww barb fight, you will very quickly see why dual axes are better.

The reality is that it's often a matter of getting a SINGLE hit in, when attacking. Having more attack opportunities is far far more advantageous, even assuming equal damage over time.

Then the fact that duel weilding achieves higher total damage and better flexibility makes this a completely moot argument.