Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BvC - Only for rich guys?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by w-igor, Aug 23, 2010.

1. w-igor

w-igor IncGamers Member

BvC - Only for rich guys?

According to Yuqing's guide, here's the public setup for a BvC:

Helm: BerBer CoA
    Armor: Enigma
    Belt: Arachnid’s
    Gloves: Trang’s
    Boots: Tri-Res Rares
    Rings: Dual Ravens
    Amulet: Highlord’s
    Weapons: Grief + Beast
    Switch: Most commonly Dual Doom.

Let's say I have it. Each item is NOT perf, but very good. But let's also say I can't afford inventory full of 3/20/20's etc. Let's say in my inventory I have only Anni and Torch. But every item I use is pretty decent (good but not perf grief, torch 19-19, etc). Here's the question:

Can I win anything with this setup?

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: BvC - Only for rich guys?

I think you're placing too much value on perfect gear - if the only people who pvp'd had perfect gear then no one would pvp - everyone would be busy getting their perfect gear.

For pvp I'd still load the inventory with charms, but whatever you have on hand should work, assuming you bother to keep 19 lifers and things like that. It's not until you go top tier and tourney style that you need to keep up with the jones.

3. quickA

quickA IncGamers Member

You can win everything.
    But important is to be able to master your barb.Its not the same like playing fireball :)
    Very lag intolerant char and pretty hard to play.

4. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Perfect gear is not necessary for a successful pvp char. As long as you have the general pub setup or close to it, you will do fine as long as you have some skill under your belt.

You can have the best, most expensive gear out there and still lose the majority of your duels because you simply have no dueling tactics.

5. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur IncGamers Member

as expensive as those items are; decent charms will cost about 3-4 times that.

it's an expensive build and it's not easy to play. very stylistic playstyle that's sorta hit and miss. I wouldn't build unless you can be sure you're able to resell gear or can drop that much wealth without batting an eye

6. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

not with an empty inventory you won't be doing any pub room pwnage.

with 37 x 16-20 life scs you'll have a decent crack at most opponents a BvC is strong against.

at the top end, the biggest differences come in the charmsets which are the most expensive part of any pvp build these days.

however, so long as your sensible about how you fill your inventory while still hunting for perfect charms, you'll have a serviceable character that you can certainly duel with. use as few FHR scs as possible, then load up on plain lifer scs or res/life or ar/life LCs and GCs.

solid skills and playstyle > perfect gear.

be warned, a BvC has a steep learning curve attached to it. you'll get pwnt early on regardless of how good the gear is.

7. w-igor

w-igor IncGamers Member

The complicity of a character doesn't scare me. The problem is I've heard the baba is the most expensive char and my actual question is is it so expensive to make it godly or is it expensive to make it work?

Because there are chars which can win with eni-worth gear but better gear will help them and there are chars who just can't (Mage?). I'm not afraid of barb being too hard for me to master, I'm afraid that even then I master it I won't be able to win anything without great inventory

Could you guys - I'm talking to the good BvC players here - just THROW AWAY your inventory except anni and torch, join a random pub game and win with 5-6 out of 7 people there? Of course my inventory will be a little bit better than "anni and torch", but also my GEAR won't be perfect so to make it easier in theory let's say I have almost perf gear (one setup vs all) and almost no inventory (while in real life I'll have something in between)

8. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I'm not a bvc player, but you might be expecting a bit too much. If you plan on taking everyone at once ie 7vs you, unless you're in tune with the playstyle, you're going to eat it pretty badly.

A pub game conditions vary. You have to take gm/bm into consideration. Some people strictly TG, others run to town and NK. Being able to kill everyone in a game doesn't mean much if they're all naked. Some people pot reds/purples - etc etc...

But assuming you're in a pub that's actually gm, and instead of duels, lets say free for all - a player who knows what he's doing with a BvC can dominate. But then again, you also have to consider skill levels, as pubs aren't usually on the same level as organized duels. Additional charms aren't essential, they supplement.

All in all, as I said before, if perfect gear was essential, people would be too preoccupied with acquiring wealth/gear and only a select few (who probably spent real money on in game items) would be dueling.

9. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Just give it a try - my first bvc years ago started with a death clever and an oath BA and pretty bad charms. Filling the inventory with charms might take some time, but using max/ar/life grand charms is always an option, or just a mix of random charms really.

See if you like playing the barb, and if you do just slowly upgrade your charmset. If you have ar problems consider ditching ravens and highlords for angelics and get mana from charms while maintaining high ar. This should be a decent temporary solution. You do lose deadly strike but hit other chars with consistency.

While it's true that barbs require good charms to shine, you can have plenty of fun with a ghetto barb as well.

While trying to equip your barb consider ar/life charms - they are much cheaper than max/ar/life ones and do the job just fine.

10. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I dont know who would really use dual doomz's on switch. A BvC would use widowmaker hel on switch really. Its the guilded arrow that automatically shoots as a magic arrow that follows the opponent which makes dr a laugh for a BvC.

11. biko

biko IncGamers Member

I don't think bvc is an expensive char to begin with. They mostly consist of runewords and uniques. The expensive part is inventory, but that's expensive for all classes, if you want it to be perfect.

Anyway. To answer your questions I play bvc and I can say that I could kill most people with empty inventory. My barb is basically perfect though, and, all arrogance aside, I'm pretty good. It's expensive to perfect a barbarian, not to make it work.

If you want to be succesful with a budget barbarian, which you DEFINATELY can, do it like this:

1. Get all the required items. They don't need to be perfect, but they need to be the right items if you want your barbarian to be effective. Try to get a grief that's rather high than low, while beast stats doesn't really matter as much. Get a 2 socketed coa with as high dr as possible, res can always be gotten from charms, even if it means you have to lose 1 or 2 life sc's. If you really can't afford a 2 socketed coa, I guess you can get by with a 1 socketed one but you probably should use verdungo whenever you need dr. Dual dooms on switch is a bad idea if you ask me. I would never use it. Just use bo weapons with fal runes to be able to equip coa on switch. If you can, it can be a good idea to use 1 echoing + 1 cta because you get 1 more bo level. Otherwise just use echoing weapons. They can be shopped at larzuk and socketed with fal runes. Enigma is obviously mandatory. Triple res boots are not needed. The rest of the items should be cheap.

2. Get as much fhr as you need with plain 5 fhr sc's.

3. Get as much resists as you need with plain 5 all res sc's, alternatively some 11 single res ones if you need to get a certain res higher. Generally 5 all res is better though, because stacked resists never hurt, mainly light/cold but the other ones also. In pubs you never know when you get conv on you at the same time as you're fighting a fb sorc or whatever. And don't forget about the anya bug.

4. Fill up rest of inventory with life sc's.

5. Upgrade to dual mod charms as your wealth allows. However, if you have 20 life sc's, don't be thinking it's better to swap them for say, a 7/46/22 max/ar/life grand charm. The life you would lose is far more useful than the damage and ar you would gain.

As long as you have all the required items, you should in main setup (coa) require 4 fhr sc's. Amount of res sc's depends on how much res you have on your coa/anni/torch, wether or not you use triple res boots, and if you use hotspur or infernostride. (1 of these boots are mandatory to have in stash vs fb sorc's. I use infernos because people complain about hotspur being bm.)

Anyway, let's say you like me don't use triple res boots and use infernostride. If you've got high res on coa/torch/anni you should need about 8 5 all resist sc's. That's 4+8 sc's. So you have room for 37-12=25 sc's with life, presuming you have only single mod charms.

Now, what do you lose by using these crappy single mod charms? You lose 8x20=160 pre bo life because the 8 5 all res sc's could have been 20/5. You also lose (25+4)x3=87 max damage and (25+4)x20=580 attack rating because the life and fhr charms could have been 3/20/20 and 3/20/5.

160 pre bo life doesn't make a huge difference if you're good. 87 max damage is 43.5 average damage. Your grief already has ~400++ average damage. The attack rating, well vs most people it doesn't matter because they have 2k defense. Vs paladins and other bvc's, use angelics.

Ok, that took a while to type, but I hope it's a help for maximizing the effectiveness of your budget barbarian. Basically, if you can afford what I wrote, and you've got skill, you can have a very effective barbarian. If you can't afford even the required items and single mod charms... maybe you shouldn't attempt bvc, but in that case I don't think you could do well in pvp with any class.

12. w-igor

w-igor IncGamers Member

I can't figure out what more could I ask for. I know everything now
    Awesome post, thanks a lot ;)

13. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

acturally I use doomz on my bvc for bo, for 2 bo I gets ability to fock bm/nk runazon. Not a bad bo weapon at all, not to mention can use it to drain some smiter too. In my opinion best bo weapon eva :thumbup:

14. Hartside

Hartside IncGamers Member

I've got a bvc that uses dam ar lifer gcs and decent scs hits 7.7 k life max res with a little stack but I don't play him much but he doese well , don't worry about perfect gear skill lvl is more important

15. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

holly cow my bva is on 6 k. and 9 level lower (90)...

16. struikje

struikje IncGamers Member

Life doesn't say it all vknez, i got 2 bvc's on private server, one with 8k and one with 7.2k life, yet the lower life one get's way more kills.

17. zyyz

zyyz IncGamers Member

go get max/ar/life grand charms is easier than get small charms
    other hand just use plain 20life or ar/life small charms

18. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

my charms are not bad (few gcs 4x life) but i pumped some str so i can use forty and dex ofc for blocking

19. sharkapl

sharkapl IncGamers Member

imo once u hostile everyone u go out of town and start leaping, everyone will come for you lol.
    for bvc u need alot of spare gears in ur box.
    pub pvp is getting real boring prob the reason y i stopped pvp for a while, there you have a trap sin with a infinity merc telling me the merc doesnt help her, its not BM, she can own me w/o the merc. When i kill her, "Oh crap ran out of pots"

20. Hartside

Hartside IncGamers Member

I can getmax block but got to put botd on to achieve it mate can't with grief