Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

bvc help

Discussion in 'PvP' started by andrewexd, Nov 9, 2006.

1. andrewexd

andrewexd IncGamers Member

bvc help

Im currently deciding to make a smiter or a bvc. I have most gear for barb and smiter. I want to make a bvc more than the smiter. why? idk. Well i tested both in pub duel games and smiter seems to be doing better by far. I guess im just asking what should I make(or what you make). Gear would be like this

BVC
    Helm-Coa/Arreats
    Armor-Enigma
    Ammy-Highlords/Angelics
    Weapon-Grief Zerker
    Weapon 2- Beastz
    Rings-Raven/angelic/bk/fcr
    Belt-Dungos/arachs/tgods
    Boots-gores/ww/treks

Smiter
    Helm-Coa/Shako
    Armor-Enigma
    Ammy-Highlords/maras
    Weapon-Grief Zerker
    Shield- hoz/exile
    rings- raven/fcr
    Belt-Tgods/dungos
    boots-gores/treks/ww

So gear is pretty much the same with of course the exception of shield. I dont really understand why my barb sucked so much. advice, comments please.

Thanks, Andrew :smiley:

2. crb806

crb806 IncGamers Member

what does bvc stand for?

3. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Barb vs caster.

4. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

What about the Grief+Doom combo instead of Grief+Beast ? After all, the last BP (34%) is already reached without Fanaticism :scratch: ? And slowing/freezing the opponents is invaluable (no BM considerations here) :thumbsup: !

5. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

possible but inferior to grief/beast, do not forget dmg and ar boost you get from fanaticism.

@ OP - what level is your barb, how much life/ar do you have?
    treks and waterwalks are not good options for bvcs - gores and rare resistance boots are the way to go.

Mike

6. Thoridian

Thoridian IncGamers Member

Beast along with Grief is not used for ias (btw outside-weapon ias doesnt help to hit ww bp, only weapon ias counts). Its used to boost your Grief damage which hits more times than beast so with additional ed from Fanatism and Beasts strenght it adds quite nice amount of damage after pvp penatly and AR. Grief + Doom is _only_ good vs bowas (but still most bowzons are dying to grief + beast only) and LT smiters that u cant handle (if youll get good enough it will barely if ever happen)

Thats good setup but id only drop wws and treks for 3x 35+ (fire/cold/light) res boots and if u cant get those, get 30frw 40+ cold and light res ones (possibly with dex/fhr). As for Grief, remember to get one with _minimum_ 34 ias and Beast with _minimum_ 36str (or if u got like 18stat anni and 18stat torch then 40str), otherwise u wont hit ww bp (less than 34 ias) or youll have problems with using CoA + Fortitude.

As for charms: 32020s > 36/20s > 20/5s > 20/11s > 20s. Remember to have smth like 2x fhr/res scs + 8fhr/ar/max or 8fhr/res LC or 4x fhr/res scs.

Dont expect to own everyone with a BvC after like month... BvC is a build that requires alot of training to get good.

7. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

for the smiter part.
    use uped eth hoz,
    ar/ed exile for svs duels(if gm then hoz again)
    also get 35% fcr 45 base sacred targe spirit,arachnid, and trangs, this gives you 75 fcr for telesmites.
    You don't need tgods, just max light res aura, and use wisp when needed.
    boots are waterwalks, or better option 30 frw/10 fhr/30+ lr/fr/cr
    the fcr ring should have high ar imo , so you can get decent charge ar.
    the one i got is 10 fcr/120 ar/20 str/14 dext/19 lr/10 pr with raven and only 1 pt in charge so far i have almost 6k ar.
    Unfortunately with this set up you will have low res in hell, so you need to get life/5 res scs, usually 35 of them and 2 5/5.this way you reach the 48 fhr bp, and stacked res in hell with anya bug like 150 res all. this negates any v/t and will give you slack to kill fohers and blizzers.
    If you play nl with the according items you can get 5.3k+ life easily , and ~5k life on ladder

8. andrewexd

andrewexd IncGamers Member

Im not rich, my grief has low dmg 360 but 36% ias.I guess for charms ill be going the gc route. and fill the rest with life scs. and i dont plan on using fort simply i cant afford it. I guess ill do a bit more testing before i decide but thnx for suggestions and comments.

9. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

I have to disagree here. You are underestimating the power of the added AR. Or are you seriously saying that you think that using 20s instead of a couple GCs like 13x/3x-4x is wise? If so, you need to re-think.

AR is imperative. It does not matter if you can tank 20 hits and have 50 stacked all resistances if you cannot hit a thing. And no, you will not have enough AR to hit everyone effectively with plain 20s. I know that best, since I used plain 20s and lesser for half a year.

Also, with Grief, after you get a decent one, you should be looking to pump your AR to the 9-11k region. Unlike EBotdZ, you now have very constant damage, so you need to make sure you hit a lot. Whereas with EBotdZ you could have a little less AR and count on the maximum damage hits (EBotdZ still does ~60% less damage overall though).

Some comments on the OPs gear though:
    You will never, ever need Treks for anything. If you plan to use any other boots but resistances ones or Gores, they should at least have something more useful mods. The only good thing about Treks is defense, FHR and PR.

As for your rings/amulets:

You should never, ever depend on prebuffing your bo. That's a waste of time, not worth it and most people detest such behavior. You should be using 2* Ravens as your primary rings, 2* fcr rings with high mana and some +AR as your secondary, and Angelic rings and amulet for high defense paladins (mainly smiters).

10. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

1v1 and multiple opponent setups are different, btw.

11. Thoridian

You can clearly see that i was saying about SCs _only_.

12. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

The only time you mentioned SCs was with the FHR. You shouldn't be considering only SCs, that will lead to some people believing that 20s are better than ar/life GCs.

13. Thoridian

Is that so ****ing hard to figure it out that i was thinking of scs ? Stop ****ing making big deal out of nothing

14. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Actually, you should never assume that people read your messages and FIGURE SOMETHING OUT FOR THEMSELVES. They do not ASK so that they could just FIGURE IT OUT THEMSELVES, they ASK because they need GUIDANCE.

Damn with you.

15. ToThePoint

ToThePoint IncGamers Member

stop whining about minor stuff olba especially when you give stupid advice like this
    "Also, with Grief, after you get a decent one, you should be looking to pump your AR to the 9-11k region. Unlike EBotdZ, you now have very constant damage, so you need to make sure you hit a lot. Whereas with EBotdZ you could have a little less AR and count on the maximum damage hits (EBotdZ still does ~60% less damage overall though)."

16. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

That was pretty random actually.

EBotdZ does weak average damage. With more +max you will of course have better average, but you will still have a chance to roll a low hit.

And with Grief, you do not necessarily need ANY +max damage, unlike with EBotdZ. With 4667 different values for damage, you really want to push up the numbers for the bigger ones, so that the chance to roll a low one will be smaller. Whereas Grief has 667 variables, all in a good average range.

17. ToThePoint

/quote/quote/quote
    /quote/quote/quote
    /quote/quote/quote
    actually it wasn't random it stated you gave bad advice and you did.
    stating that you need less ar with botd so you can rely on pure luck to get high hits is idiotic.
    by the same laughable logic i can say you actually need less ar with grief as you can rely on lucky cth rolls to get consistent damage every time.
    /quote/quote/quote
    /quote/quote/quote
    /quote/quote/quote

18. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

By the common logic here my defense is "You should clearly know that I meant that +max is not so important with Grief whereas it is important with EBotdZ". And my point never was that you would need less AR, but rather that EBotdZ users stress the +max damage, whereas with Grief you want to get high AR.

End of discussion please?

19. ToThePoint

see this quote above its relevant.

the discussion was endeed when i pointed out your error and hypocrisy.

/quote/quote/quote/quote/quote/quote/quote/quote/quote

20. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Well yes, I did a poor job on choosing the words for that specific paragraph, and I apologize for doing so. However, I did re-do it.