Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BvC Barb guide

Discussion in 'Classic' started by fredsta54, Jun 4, 2005.

1. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

BvC Barb guide

Hey all.

Its Fred

This is the BvC barb guide i was thinking of making, and i did, so here it is

This isnt gonna be a really long guide with lots of diffirent gear suggestions. This guide is based on my very strong opinion of the "best" setup, and how to make this barb using my advised setup.

Although there are Bva's, BvB's, and speeders, this barb is pretty much between a speeder and a bva. The only thing this barb should not duel is another barb, which you can avoid easily by evading them.

This barb is a very good all around dueler and excels in public duel games (it can take on 7v1 duels with some difficulty)

This is like a speeder only it uses a maxed leap, and can have a 120 cr//lr shield as backup against very strong foher/// cold sorc.

let it be known that this character is not unviable or anything like that, imo its the best dueler (overall) on classic.

The maxed leap may seem a little bit wierd but once you try it/// i describe it i think you will get to love it ;)

Anyway i should stop rambling and get on with the actual "guide"

Basically this character is 100% done at lvl 80, more lvls=more vit and increased speed or natural resist.

STATS:

121 strength after gear
    base dex
    rest to vit
    0 energy

SKILLS: Your skills should look like this @ lvl 80

20 leap
    20 bo
    20 ww
    20 wep mastery
    1 increased speed
    1 nat resist
    1 battlecommand
    1 to the presquites

EQUIPMENT: the best part of any guide :) Be warned this gear is not *cheap*, you will have to have some funds to make it, i will probably add a poor mans section later.

***Main Setup***

Weapons: 2 nagas with 125+ damage and 200+ ar. You can obviously be viable with lower damage nagas but 125 and 200 ar is the average damage id say so shoot for these. They will probably cost you about an soj each. (at least where i play) Obviously look out for better mods. If your very, very rich you can afford 300+ ar 135+ nagas with other great mods.

------ Just get the best you can afford without sacrificing funds for other parts of gear.------

Armour: Hawkmail. gets you to 90 cr, (even after cold mastery most of the time) and increases your run/walk speed.

Belt: Rare belt with fhr, resists. Also look for + strength and life, but not over resists

Gloves: rare with high resists

Boots: 30 r/w, 2 resists over 30, possibly fhr

Jewelry: +1 barb prismatic ammy. For richer players get stacked cold or light resist and + stats.

Get +100 + ar rings with resists. + stats and + min is also nice.

Helm: resists , fhr, life.

When i say resists, basically just get 75 fire resist in hell, then stack up lightning and cold as much as you can

Other gear for specific fights: against certain characters you will need "crutches" to help you win. Against a very good foher switch out 1 of your nagas for a 120 lr shield. Against godly cold sorcs switch out a naga for a 120 cr shield. Then your pretty much invincible to those spellcasters.

AGainst high defence hammerdins you want to have angelic rings + ammy ready

Also have a mini bo prebuff if you want more life and mana.

This is all for now, tommorow i will add specific strategies and possibly more guide for dueling against specific characters and whatnot.

-Fred

2. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

3. fredsta54

4. fredsta54

Guide update. I forget to mention hotspur vs godly fire sorceresses.

SPecific dueling techniques vs characters

VS bone necro- A hard matchup, against very good necs with 75% block, nice bone armour and fhr. A very good tactic is to leap off screen, slowly towards them until you knock them back completely against a wall. Then they have nowhere to run and they wil be stunned. Advance for the kill.

VS sorc- Just leap to stun and run up and ww them. Against amazing cold sorcs switch to 3 saph shield. Against an aa fireballer, or 110 fcr fbler, switch to hotspurs if needed.

VS foher- Chase them down and ww them to death, if they have lots of +skills, or are simply very good, equip a 3 p topaz shield to negate their attack almost completely.

VS Hammerdin- You might wanna switch to angelics for more ar to get past their probable high defense. Hammerdins are usually a challenge, so leaping them, doing a few quick ww's then retreating is often a good tactic.

VS cs///guided zon- Vs cs zon, just ww them, they will die quicklly. AGainst bowazon, just outchase them or leap + quick ww.

Basically when playing this character, your main skill is leap, ww is just the killer. leap is as important to you as teleport is to a sorc (well, almost)

Hostile barbs wont even touch you, you can leap over them like leapfrog.

-Fred

5. fredsta54

suprised no1s commented///flamed me yet =P

6. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

I'm not going to flame you... in fact i'm in the process of making one myself.
    :clap:

Just need to get a couple good nagas. I'm going to try to imbue one before I spend my sojs. I've used 9 imbues so far with no avail. probobly about 9 imbues I can still do once I find some more imbueable nagas.

7. ethos

ethos IncGamers Member

I would use a Ancient axe over 2 nagas, because for some reason using 2 weapons in classic doesnt seem to work as well as using a 2handed weapon. Also, i would consider getting only ~14 in leap and investing the rest into nat resist, because at lvl 14 leap has a 1 screen radius iirc.
    Im in the process of gettin itams to build a bva myself. Im gonna get a high damage martel with ias (i have my eyes on a certain 276 40 ias) and put like 5+ points into zerk. With fast attack speed (twitch/deaths) I will make mince-meat of necros, because if you leap around bone spirits cannot hit you, and i should kill them in 3 zerks :D

8. fredsta54

The reason, for the most part, 2 nagas > ancient axe is less weapon switching, about the same dmg per ww, except with the 2 nagas you hit more often, just less damage so i guess you could say it does more damage over time, and the way of killing your opponent is 2 or 3 quick whirlwinds in a triangular pattern around your opponent, as opposed to just doing long ww's with a lance or axe, which can be dodged and then you will be attacked

2 nagas stuns///reels your opponent into fhr easier.

Maxing leap is... imo... not a waste of points. It is maxed not for how far the actual leap is but for the added knockback. You will be doing tiny "hops" anyway.

Extra points into nat resist is very diminishing and the extra ~10 resists wont matter at all when you have 75 light///90 cold even with cold mastery or conviction applied.

1 point into zerk is sweet, although i wouldnt put in 5, unless i had nowhere else to place my points. Generally, even vs necs though, ww kills them faster, if you odnt give them time to recast their bone armour.

if you wanna use a mart though, thats up to you :/

Fred

9. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

strength

So how much strengh would you reccomend?
    if you advise angelic against Hammeradins that would bring the +str from items to only belt and gloves without having a 3sock amythest
    so about 100 str would be about right str right? +20 from belt

10. fredsta54

on my bvc i only have +6 strength from gear. My base strength is 115. Dont rely on specific gear with stats to use your gear, because you never know when you might find a better ring, that you cannot use due to it has no + strength. I mean, whats 200ish life out of 3k+?

The only reason i have 115 base is because i know my gloves (happen to have +6 strength) will never change.

Dont have some crazy method of putting diffirent gear on to use a specific item. You also would only want 1 angelic ring and the ammy, as excessive ar is not needed except to hit high defence barbs which you wont be dueling against anyway.

Basically get base strength as high as 121 if you want, then pump the rest into vita. You should have 90 cold resist with a sorc using >lvl 27 cold mastery. You should also have 75 light resist with conviction on you, so excess life is not that important. (this is if you have 3 soc shields on, only needed vs talented players)

The only real challenge are good hammerdins and necros.

Skill placement is

20 leap
    20 axe mastery
    20 bo
    20 ww
    1 increased speed
    1 nat resist
    presquites.

"finishes" at lvl 80, although if you lvl further it means more increased speed and/or nat resist. Wait. Not nat resist. Increased speed. You actually have nothgin to gain by increaseing your resists. The only exception wuold be a sorc teamed up with a foher, which isnt that common, and you'd prbably find inc speed more useful neway

11. fredsta54

Edit: I will list my personal gear, and even though its not THAT godly, its the best dueler i have ever made. This is the gear of my 2nd, improved BvC. My previous 1 thought BH's would > nagas because of lower strength and more damage. Now i know for a fact naga > bh cuz of range.

Weapon1- 41-121 damage. +151 ar, 21 psn dmg, 23% COLD RESIST, -20% requirements.
    Weapon2- 37-121 damage, 148 ar (a sub-par naga :( )

Armour-Hawkmail (this never comes off)

Boots- 34 light resist, 32 fire resist, +4 dex, 30 r/w boots.

Belt- 24 fhr, +7 life, 29 cold resist, 24 light resist

Gloves- 29 cold resist, 29 fire resist, +6 strength, 30 ar

Ammy- +1 barb, 20 prismatic with 16 stacked light resist, 36 life and 2 min dmg.

Rings- 89 ar, 29 cold resist, 29 light resist. 116 ar, 13 strength, 2 dex, 16 fire resist, 30 pison resist. ( i will change this ring when i feel like it)

These rares probably have other, insignificant mods, but i only listed the mods that count in pvp.

"crutches" are hotspurs, 1 angelic ring and ammy, 120 light resist large shield, 120 cold resist large shield, and thats it.

Crutches are not needed 95% of the time. They are to be used in situations when you are losing. (very rarely) :lol:

-Fred

-P.S. gg yesterday Great_evils, or should i say, my_wench

Dacar i was editing my post but when i finished, the time had expired while i was writing it. Just explaning double post

12. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

Yeah, at lvl 39 his barb could take down my lvl 74 billz sorc pretty quick, its def a good build.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

No problem. Thanks.

14. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

what helm do you use? my gear so far is:

47-124 naga 395ar 3-4cold dmg 10ias
    42-118 naga 165ar
    full helm with 28cr 30lr 10fhr 21life and15ar
    hawkmail

rings I am still jugling because I need to pump more str

15. ethos

ethos IncGamers Member

Not when they are good, cheap, or both. i.e. if they stack bonewalls ontop of themselves, its over. If they iron maiden you, its over x10. And then if theyr clay golem hits you too, its over x1000. While leap might help you get closer, thus reducing iron maidens effect, the fact is still that they have 60+ block (normally) and 800 absorb bone armour, and their bonewalls will still tank most of the hits.
    Also, you might want to consider using blinkbats for when your not facing cold sorcs, because it looks cooler, gives you fire damage for additional stun and the fhr is a godsend. Another avenue you might want to explore also is frenzy, because of the additional r/w and also crazy ias.

16. fredsta54

those nagas are def sweet. The 395 ar naga you have i almost got, it was 2 sojs though and i only had 2 sojs to spend on 2 nagas :(

My helm is a bone helm with 30 cold resist, 30 lightning resist, 30 ar, and 15 life.

@Ethos: yes Blinkbats would be better than hawmail when dueling non-cold sorcs, but only in the fact that it has fhr. Fhr isnt all that important on a BvC, you should be fine with the fhr( if any) from your boots, belt and helm. I myself do fine with the 24 fhr from my belt, and addding more doesnt make a diffirence against 99% of opponents.

As for the bone necros, the ones who cover themselves with bonewalls and iron maiden, you can hopefully leap them out of their trap and just ww them w/o dieng from Im due to loads of BW's.

Murrogh: your on east right, if so we could chat some more and i can c your setup.

17. TheCerberus

Yeah, usually when you start on a new ladder and want to play PvP, you DON"T have good items...

And the 1 point to leap is because it's BvA.

18. fredsta54

1 point leap? i guess the rest of the points go to shout... why? the defence granted by non exceptional gear is pitiful, there is no diffirence is 1k defense and 5k defense when dueling a bvb with angelics and possibly sigs ar bonus.

Itharas set is the best gear setup for speeders (14 inc speed and 60 r/w from gear) but it lacks enough resists to be of use to BvC.

Fred

19. TheCerberus

No, the rest went to Natural Resists. I think defense is a joke when I barbarian can easily get 11k AR. I made a Defiance Paladin that had 10k defense and 75% block, and I got hit while walking and shift+smiting.

With a shield, the resists are covered fine. Granted, when you start getting really good rares, if you kept playing with my build then you're probably not very smart. But if you've just switched to a new realm or you are starting the new ladder, the choices are very efficient for their rarity and price.

EDIT: If you look down the thread, I posted the perfect items for my build. All 1.08 rares, just to satisfy some kid. It's a lot easier to discuss item choice in LoD, because most of the uniques are usable there, so you have standard mods on them and runewords. In Classic, it's all about the rares, which is harder to tell what to get. You can only say shoot for such and such.

20. fredsta54

regardless, with this build, more points into nat resist is USELESS. The only time it would come in usefull is when you are under conviction and a sorc is pummeling you. That is 2v1 and in most classic pubbys duels are 1v1.

and with a speeder i would use itharas over godly rares, for its r/w and +maximum resistances. Also since speeders should be uisng a lance, the +25 dex helps you wear them.

Bvc barbs are compltely diffierent from speeders.