Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

buy or not buy from ebay

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by blinky, May 8, 2005.

1. blinky

blinky IncGamers Member

buy or not buy from ebay

never have but contemplating, pros cons anyone, any one bought all perfect gear for that one char and just got bored because you had everything, thats the only thing im worried about, but i just remember how much time i wasted playing this game looking for those items.havent played in a yr or so started one char up again recently,anyway lookin for peoples opinions and reasons not your gay for buying ebay, i dont see the sense in paying for data or essintaly other peoples time spent playing the game, i realize they could be dupes but i just dont care about that

2. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

It is more fun getting gear on your own by finding it, trading it, or even getting something given to you in game. Some people will say they would not pay real money for gear on eBay but we paid real money to buy the game. I would not buy gear but if others want to that is their decision. If I was to buy gear, I would try and buy stuff that wasn't likey to have been duped...if that is possible.

3. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

It takes away the fun from the game.
    Forking out a few bucks might get you the most Uber runewords and stuff, but it will sure make it a lot less fun because you didn't go through the process of seeing the item drop, figuring out what to trade for it, deciding if a certain trade package is good for you, trading up for better items and improving your wealth.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I once bought a death cleaver for .75 cents on ebay, stupid things never drop for me.

5. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

I was under the impressiont hat Death Cleaver was a rune word. Which is why it doesn't drop.... I am prolly wrong though...

6. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

It's a unique zerker axe. It doesn't drop because I have no luck. (Even if luck is an illusion.)

7. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

Edit: Got beaten to it, darn.
    It's the unique zerker axe.
    Here is the stat page, about half way down.

Personally, I don't have a probem with it. If people want to spend money on something that might just disappear on them...well I guess that's their own decision. But if they have that much money to spare...they could just give it to me :lol:

~Bails

8. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Ultimately its up to you what you do with your money as it is with football clubs that can afford to buy the best players but in my experience the enjoyment of a game like Diablo2 is to party up or play solo or do a bit of both and see what the game drops for you.Admittedly you've only got a 1 in 7 chance that a really good item might be for the character youre currently playing, trading is always an option, but as far as high runes go you could always join up with likeminded people and hell forge rush on a regular basis.

If youve got to the point where youre not happy waiting for the items you really want then perhaps its time to move on to another game.

9. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i know a number of people who have quit the game due to having everything and being godly. maybe you're different.

probably not.

10. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

The game is very very item-oriented, a huge part of the game is aquiring ideal items, if you ebay everything that you can't find, it feels kind of empty, and not very satisfying.
    btw Pizza, got there the day before yesterday, gave up on the 56K, and got ADSL today, hehe. And why the hell are you up at 8:30 posting on a Sunday? Some early spammage? Catching up to Newman? :D

11. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

haha yeah. i wake up early then i go back to bed for like 2 hours. then i get up and post more. then i eat. its all routine.

sweet on the adsl, you cant play any there though, right?

i think newman left or something hes been absent. come to the otf. =D

12. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Hehe, yeah, dumb me, I brought the expansion disc, but not the classics, cuz I'm so used to being able to play with one disc. I was like "Alright! ADSL! Let me put up D2...Woa? I need D2 classics first??? Uhhhh, ****..."

13. ronj

ronj IncGamers Member

I don't know about buying but I do like to sell of ebay ;)
    Made a few hundred bucks this season, no dupes at all.
    Of course most rune/runewords, 32020, soj you buy off ebay ARE dupes.

I think it can be helpful for someone who is restarting d2 after a long break. Exemple, buying a cheap full tal set can be a good way to start off a good mfer, from there, you can get the rest all by yourself.

14. 380 Realm

380 Realm IncGamers Member

My roommate tends to pay for items instead of waiting on me to eventually trade for whatever he needed. When he wants something on this game, he wants it "right now".

15. markDweasel

markDweasel IncGamers Member

It boils down to the "Instant Gratification" mentality. That's why ebay selling is so profitable especially when all you sell is dupes and uber runewords.

Anyone selling non-duped items either plays way too much or is barely covering their ebay/paypal fees. No profit there ( been there, done that). The only way you can succeed in raking some profit is by playing hard and early ( start of ladder).

Mark

16. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

I don't play this game for the incredible graphics or all the cool people you meet on bnet. And I don't do it for the joy of watching every single drop mysteriously disappear in .00007 seconds in public baal runs. About the only reason I play is the challenge of building new characters. So if I were to buy what I need on ebay, I'd have no reason to keep playing.

17. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

sigh, altho i dont eBay, alot of my chars are kinda perf and d2 is getting boring for me....i used to get so excited when andy dropped a 'shako'!

now i just have like 100 hi runes sitting on a mule...

18. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

If you're bored with all those runes, you could share the wealth...lol

~Bails

19. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on this game for something that's likely to disappear.

20. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Newmann has fallen to the darkside, he has joined us in WoW.